Fundamental extractor

Started by StephenGiles, November 26, 2004, 05:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I've been saying it for years now, and found this extract from an interview with Howard Davis, chief engineer with EH in the late 70s.

QuoteHD:  I’d say the most popular is the Memory Man. I didn’t design the first delay stompbox with this name, but in 1977 I re-engineered it with such a substantial improvement in performance that it just took off - it was hard for the company to keep up with the demand. I’m also proud of my Deluxe Octave Multiplexer. The hardest part of that design was the fundamental extractor - the circuitry that locks in on the fundamental, or basic pitch, of the note being played. Before my work the existing products of this type had a tendency to “yodel,” to jump up an octave and then back again. I came up with what may still be the best analog fundamental extractor circuitry ever used in a stompbox. Once you have a good fundamental extractor, synthesizing the suboctaves is easy. I also like my Ambitron, but that was designed for the audiophile market, not really in EH’s primary area of interest.

What did I tell you!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

gotta love fundamental extractors...
soon to be posted here: nice tube-versions...

David

Quote from: puretubegotta love fundamental extractors...
soon to be posted here: nice tube-versions...

...which can then be emulated with JFETs?  Oh, cool!

ROG, are you listening? :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

puretube

bet they`re busy (like others, too),
emulating pentodes behaviour
with 3-legged bugs  :wink:

ExpAnonColin

(Scrambles for Octave Multiplexer schematic, but comes up with nothing)

...help?

-Colin

StephenGiles

I'll post it later - I'm sure I've posted it before.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Here is my drawing of the fundamental extractor which appeared in both the EH Guitar synth and the deluxe Octave Multiplexer, for which I can't lay my hands on the circuit right now.

The PNP transistor with incomplete value is 2N5087
Stephen

StephenGiles

Found it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/StephenGiles/EHdeluxeOctave2.gif

Of course the EH1048 are CA3094. The power supply seems to be slighly chopped off at the bottom

Stephen

puretube

gez

I can't keep up Ton!  No sooner do I print off one patent when you link to another!!  :icon_lol:

I haven't even got round to reading any of them yet.  Slow down!!  :icon_razz:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

C`mon! that one has been out there for 35 years...

(can make a nice gateing-free fuzzbox out of it...)

btw: can you imagine how much time people ( :icon_wink: ...) spent @ the P.O.
before "wwww", just searching according to classification numbers?????

and: anybody ever wondered that I never post patents younger than 20 years?
(it`s not that "they don`t make`em anymore"...)