News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

robovox problem.

Started by mirza, December 02, 2004, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirza

hi all.
just finished with robovox but...lot of low end noise and hum.
and 4016 gets extra hot...realy hot.
why?

and is it normal when i unplug ac from robovox bypass activates without hiting 3pdt?
it's working!

petemoore

Quote from: mirzahi all.
just finished with robovox but...lot of low end noise and hum.
and 4016 gets extra hot...realy hot.
why?
 Something is wrong with the wiring. Sounds like alot of current is getting eaten by the chip...too much for it's own good.

and is it normal when i unplug ac from robovox bypass activates without hiting 3pdt?
Lets see. if the sound comes through, no power, well without looking into the schema, I'd guess the sound is bypassing the gates er input[s...it's supposed go throught the chip I think. If the chip isn't powered, anything trying to get through should see an input biased to off condition.
 I'd look to try rectifying what's up with the chip burning itself first.
 How many ways have you applied the DMM? I'd go through, with cct. powered down, then use continuity, and resistance modes, pull the chip and see how many resistors you can ID the value of without lifting an end from the cct. Check for stray grounds all over. Check that grounds are all made.
 You said 'really hot'...I read that as burning hot, as in possibly burning chip hot.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Marcos - Munky

The noise problem is normal. Do a search for a post about the Robovox done by Smoguzben about how to remove the noise. In my circuit, the chip don't get hot, so I don't know what's happening. Did you tried to power it with a battery? About the bypass thing, no problem. The circuit works mixing the modulated signal with the clean signal, and both can be heard. When you stop to power the circuit, the modulation signal will stop, and only the clean sound will pass.

mirza

no luck yet but....

i found this other layout...did it like that.

results:
no noise or hum
4016 warm...not so hot.
lots of click pops...like old records or am radio. funny-
dry signal comes thru fine
but no vocoderish soud at all.
why not?
it's working!

mirza

first layout

second layout
it's working!

Marcos - Munky

Where did you found the secound layout? The first one is the one that I used. And it don't do vocoderish sound, it sounds like a cheap ring modulator.

mirza

i have no idea.
in my documents/fx projects/robovox directory  :D
it's working!

Marcos - Munky

mirza

told you already.
dry signal comes thru fine + lot of click pop...like old vinil..old record.
and chip is warm.
it's working!

Marcos - Munky

If it sounds like a cheap ring modulation, it's working right.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Are the 'clicks' coming at a constant rate (like a LFO)? Because if so, there is one cap that needs to be smaller, I expect.

Marcos - Munky

The caps values are correct. If you change the values, you will change the effect. This is basically a tremolo with modified LFO caps to get pseudo ring modulation.

mirza

no clicks are random.

would "green ringer" from ggg do the same/similar job as robovox?
it's working!

Marcos - Munky

No, the Green Ringer is a octave circuit that do pseudo ring mod sound when you play more than one note.

Ge_Whiz

Usual reason for any CMOS chip getting hot is that one or more inputs is picking up noise and oscillating very fast (RF) - CMOS chips consume more power as the frequencies they handle increase. Make sure that all inputs are connected correctly and that none are just 'floating'.

This could also explain the noise at the output.

allan_belt

Hello from Peru.. just finishe the robovox from the first layout posted .. and the clean signal is Ok .. but no modulated signal just a little noises .. i used the CD4016BE chip .