MXR phase 100 no effect in sound

Started by Koider, January 07, 2005, 02:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koider

Hello all,  nice forums you have here  :P

here's my story:
i bought a mxr phase 100 some week ago,  and it had a 1/8 power jack.  All my others pedals use a barrel style jack, so i wanted to convert it to use that type of jack.

Now,  i changed the jack,  the led lights when the unit is on,  i get the sound in bypass mode,  i also get sound when the unit is on, but there's absolutly no effect in it??
I don't hear any change in the sound if i turn the speed knob,  there seems to be a slight change if i tu the intensity knob/

I wonder what i could have broken in that thing...
If anyone has any idea about it...  i would apreciate the help hehe

Thx

mindwave_21

Haha.  Hey Koider, you and I seem to be having the same type of problem.  This is what was suggested to me by some (it didn't work for my, but might work for you).  First, try cleaning all the pots and switches and check for bad soldering or faulty wiring to make sure that's not the problem.  Then you might want to consider replacing the IC that's in there.  I'm not sure what the schematic looks like for those pedals, but from what I gather a lot of the time phase shifting comes from an IC.  Hope that helps in any way...

ahermida

I posted a reply to this yesterday but my browser crashed right at the time it was being sent.  Lets see if I recall what I wrote.  My gut feeling is that one of the LED inside the optocouplers died.  In the older units the one that fails most of the time is the 1st on the left (if you open the box and place the unit such that the optocouplers are closer to you).  If you have a meter that can check diodes, desolder the LED wires of that optocoupler and make sure the LED is alive, if its not you can either replace the device OR open the side that has the LED with an X-acto knife and replace the LED.  

Alf