POWER SUPPLY : singular wires or Daisy Chain ?

Started by Davide, January 15, 2005, 07:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davide

I think that for an effect chain a singular cable going out of the power supply bringin 9v to all the boxes with a daisy chain would be more tidy and practical...

..but with a 6-7 effects chain is it a good solution ? Can a single wire provide enough current?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

A single wire (or more correctly a single PAIR of wires!) can provide all the current in the world, if it is thick enough.
Personally, for 7 or so stompboxes, the sort of cable that goes to a lamp (or is cut off a TV in a dumpster) would be more than enough, and certainly cheap.

Davide

Yeah, Ohm would agree  :D

I had this doubt 'cause i dont know exactly how much current effects like high gain distorsion, wha, phaser etc need...  something like 50mA ?

niftydog

digital effects will suck the most power by far. Allow 50mA for most pedals and maybe 100mA for digi effects and you'll be fine.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Marossy

As long as your power supply is well filtered and can provide enough current to power all of your pedals, daisy chaining works fine. On my pedalboard, I am powering 8 pedals plus a tuner, and it works well.

Davide

I havent tested it yet, but i'm building the Ultra Clean PS

Jehle

Quote from: DavideI havent tested it yet, but i'm building the Ultra Clean PS

I would actually like to do the same project to get rid of the million wall warts that I have.  Is there a link for the "Ultra Clean PS"?  I tried a search and couldn't find it.
:?

Davide

Quote from: Jehle
Quote from: DavideI havent tested it yet, but i'm building the Ultra Clean PS

I would actually like to do the same project to get rid of the million wall warts that I have.  Is there a link for the "Ultra Clean PS"?  I tried a search and couldn't find it.
:?

General Guitar Gadgets has a great layout ;)