50ct soldering iron works great !!!

Started by petemoore, January 16, 2005, 03:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Mother of invention thrives on necessity.
 The 'ol RS Irony...finally dies...
 Toward the end of a Ts Type Reamer thing I built tonight, the tip falls out, and then breaks off getting put back in.
 So...I grab the 50ct. Iron, Big Long Honker Thing, industrial strength 50's style jobby...gets HOT !!!
 And I wraps me a 6'' length of solid core [Thick] around and round the tip, then about a 2'' straight coming out so's I can get access to the board with a nice fine tip, about the right heat [solders quickly, I like that].
 Beats what I was using by a mile, Great Device...I'm lovin' it !!1
 Also the big tip is great for desoldering say 8 Pin Ic sockets from old perf builds, I left the wide [about 1/2 inch] tip of the iron so I can heat across all four lugs of one side at once, parts fly out compared to using the tip of the pencil Iron at a much lower heat...the tip of the iron is quite HOT, the 2'' straight of Solid Core dissipates just the right amount for general soldering of parts 'n lugs.
  Only Thing I haven't thought about 'till now is, when I go to put the Cct's in boxes, awe heck I can pull it from it's brickhole mount and use it !!! Kinda long, but usually box wiring isn't so critical to have a super steady tip like you can get with a shorter pointer.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jmusser

Ahh yes, necessity! Hey, I've got one for ya. I use a little Weller 25 watt iron all the time. It solders well, but eats tips up like I'm using battery acid for flux! I think I get through maybe two projects, and the tip has totally gone blunt like a thermometer. Years ago in telecommunications work, I used to use a commercial Weller that had a ceramic handle, and I'm not sure I ever had to change tips on that thing. Maybe a couple times a year, but I used it 30 to 48 hours a week. What's the deal?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

petemoore

20 yr code...we used to do demolition
 In hospitals, all wiring and heating....basically a floor or wing ata time, would be gutted down to the cement flooring...'picker's paradise, I came home many times with as much thick core wire as would fit in my car...so I have no shortage of new tips with this method.
 I'll just let the iron cool, cut a 8 '' section, pin the end of the wire at 90 degrees to the tip of the iron with pliers, then wrap, and bend a 2'' or so straight  section out so it can reach in to where heat is needed, not where it isn't.
 It sure solders nice, and the tip, being thin to begin with, is always pointy enough to do accurate applications, soldered nodes look very nice when I finish, I haven't had to clean it...really works great...

bwanasonic

Pete- I think we should take up a collection and get you a decent soldering station! I admire your ingenuity and persistence, but after using a temp controlled iron with a quality tip, you realize you have been hitting yourself over the head with a hammer by using crappy irons, and it sure feels good to stop!

Kerry M

RDV

I spend a great deal of time resharpening tips with my rat bastard. It's worth it though. I've about quit buying them.

RDV

Jason Stout

Quote from: bwanasonicPete- I think we should take up a collection and get you a decent soldering station! I admire your ingenuity and persistence, but after using a temp controlled iron with a quality tip, you realize you have been hitting yourself over the head with a hammer by using crappy irons, and it sure feels good to stop!

Kerry M

I agree, I have an inexpensive  weller (not temp controlled),  and its hard to explain just how much better is compaired to Radio Sack irons. Pete, treat yourself right. :)

There are probably better deals out there but this is what I use. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00954054000
After two years I'm happy to report that I'm still on my first tip!
Jason Stout

Jason Stout

Quote from: RDVI spend a great deal of time resharpening tips with my rat bastard. It's worth it though. I've about quit buying them.

RDV

What's a rat bastard?
Jason Stout

petemoore

Rats tail file [round file]
 Bastard [type of cutting teeth of a file IIRC]