12v dc killed my 9v booster

Started by modmod, February 02, 2005, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

modmod

i'd like to know if 4558 capable of 12v ? which component will got toasted first under 12v dc, diodes ? transistor ? or the 4558 ? thansk a lot

R.G.

The 4558 is capable of 30V at least.

First component toasted? Probably a 10V capacitor. Depends on the circuit and components of the booster. Can't tell any more without a schematic and parts list.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

modmod

thx R.G, actually it's a rc booster,and i see most caps are 50v,could it be transistors ? thanks again

Marek

9VDC       - (+) is very different from a
12VDC     +( -) supply, and that's not just the voltage,
unless there is some kind of gretz rectifier which is quite
unlikely in a booster.

MArek

RDV

Are you sure you didn't reverse the voltage?
In that case, you might have fried a protection diode perhaps.
I've never seen an RC Booster's innards though.

RDV

modmod

yes,reversed polarity,should i change those polarity caps first ? those are 25v nichicon polarity caps. thanks guys

Mike Burgundy

Electrolytic caps DO NOT like reverse polarity, but they probably didn't fail (yet). They *might* in time, so you might want to replace them (it all depends on how good the polarity protection was)
This will most probably not solve your problem. As said therewill probably be some sort of  polarity protection. This will be fried, so needs to be replaced. The most likely form is a 1N400x diode.
After replacing that, carefully measure the power pins on any IC's to see if theyre supplied correctly. If that's ok, you should probably get sound.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'm sure the diode would have blown (if it has) well before any electrolytic damage. It might be different with tants, though. I wouldn't replace any electros unless there is a clear fault involving one.

modmod

thx guys,i believe there are no protection diodes.........in fact there are diodes marked "V4148",i wonder if it is 1n4148 ?

bwanasonic

Have you tried contacting the maker of the RC (I forget who makes it)? They might have a pretty good clue.

Kerry M

NaBo

i keep glancing over this topic and reading "12v dc killed my brother" :shock: