pic and clips of my pedal

Started by scottosan, February 03, 2005, 09:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottosan

Ok guys, I've been tweaking for about 3 weeks now and I am quite happy with the results. Let me know what you think.  I know my playing sucks, but this is only a demonstration of the tone.  All clips through a completely aclean amp.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000139610_000024845.mp3

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000139610_000024894.mp3

Fret Wire

Sounds good, nice tone. Is that a BSIAB II? Nice graphics also.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

hilbi

hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

scottosan

Quote from: Fret WireSounds good, nice tone. Is that a BSIAB II? Nice graphics also.
yes, I used the BSIAB II with 2 resistor changes and 2 cap changes

RenatoBR

What changes?! Tell us!!

By the way... nice playing!!

scottosan

Quote from: RenatoBRWhat changes?! Tell us!!
They are pretty minor in value, I will have to check my notes when I get home.  I backed of the gain just a tad.  I live in the city and was picking up some radio frequencies whne my guitar volume was on 0, so I used some ferrite beads on some of the wires and a 47 or 51pf cap(can't remember) across the gain pot which effectively bleed off the radio frequencies and I changed the value of the C5 cap.  Again, I'll check when I get home.

Triffid

Wow... you say that is a completly clean amp?  I swear i here some reverb in there... does your pedal do that?

Man.. there also seems to be some difference  in the left and right channels on that second clip... is it just me?  Maybe its my headphones?

scottosan

Quote from: TriffidWow... you say that is a completly clean amp?  I swear i here some reverb in there... does your pedal do that?

Man.. there also seems to be some difference  in the left and right channels on that second clip... is it just me?  Maybe its my headphones?
I stand corrected.  Meaning that all of the gain is from the pedal going into a clean amp.  Then reverb added after the recording.

Khas Evets

Sounds great. I like the mojo knob. I think I'm going to add that to all my pedals from now on...connected to nothing. 8)

FatMike

That distortion sounds really awsome. I didn't  hear a sound sample of the BSIAB or the BSIAB II before (I didn't even take a look at the schematics ;) ).

How did you record the MP3s? Which kind of amp/setup, and did you use a mic or speaker simulation?

Maybe that's the kind of distortion I've been looking for (or another distortion that will be disassembled again two weaks after I finished it ;) ). And how good is the "Tone" control? Maybe a 3-band EQ would be cool.

Fat Mike

Ed G.

Wow! Great sounding clips. What kind of guitar/pickup are you using? That nails the VH tone.
I noticed at a friend's house that I was picking up some radio signals, so I may put ferrite beads in mine also. I thought the cap at the input would have done the trick.
Good job! I'd like to know what you settled on for C5. I've tweaked with those values in other pedals I've built but left it the 'standard' Marshall 470/470 here. It does have an effect on tone.

RDV

My BSIAB2 doesn't sound quite like that 2nd clip. What kind of clean amp are we talking about?

RDV

scottosan

Quote from: Ed G.Wow! Great sounding clips. What kind of guitar/pickup are you using? That nails the VH tone.
I noticed at a friend's house that I was picking up some radio signals, so I may put ferrite beads in mine also. I thought the caps at the input would have done the trick.
Good job! I'd like to know what you settled on for C5. I've tweaked with those values in other pedals I've built but left it the 'standard' Marshall 470/470 here. It does have an effect on tone.
First off let me say your design is absolutely wonderful.  I took this pedal to the guitar store and had a shoot out against a fd2 and a ds-1 (keeley) mod and out of 3 people, 2 like it better and the 3 said it was neck and neck.  The ended up using the a 560pf because I forgot to order the 470pf and that all I could find.  I eventually got a 470pf, did not hear a huge difference(some more lower mids maybe? 604hz vs 719hz) so I left the 560pf in there.  As far as the cap on the input, it probably would have done the trick without the ferrite beads, but I tried the beads first.  The bead got most of it and the cap seed to put the nail in the casket for the rf.  My substitutions were out of necessesity not trial and error, I just substituted with the nearest value that I could find.  No that I'm getting the hang of ordering, I think I'll get it right next time.  All and all, I think you've designed the best pedal I've heard.  To put things into perspective,  I consider myself a tone snob.  I own 2 bogner amps, I and play this pedal through the clean channel for than I use the gain channels on my amps.  Everyone that has heard the pedal wants one.  I have been sending them to www.generalguitargadgets.com.  Do you sell these?  I'm still just a hobbyist and don't have time to make alot of these.

scottosan

Quote from: RDVMy BSIAB2 doesn't sound quite like that 2nd clip. What kind of clean amp are we talking about?

RDV
bogner xtc clean channel :lol:

scottosan

Quote from: FatMikeThat distortion sounds really awsome. I didn't  hear a sound sample of the BSIAB or the BSIAB II before (I didn't even take a look at the schematics ;) ).

How did you record the MP3s? Which kind of amp/setup, and did you use a mic or speaker simulation?

Maybe that's the kind of distortion I've been looking for (or another distortion that will be disassembled again two weaks after I finished it ;) ). And how good is the "Tone" control? Maybe a 3-band EQ would be cool.

Fat Mike
I used the clean channel of a bogner xtc int a 4x12 cab loaded with vintage 30's, mic'd with an sm57 int a cheap m-audio fasttrack.  As for the tone knob, it is awsome.  It's not like the typical mud to icepick range, it is like butter to edgy if that makes sense

RDV

Quote from: scottosan
Quote from: RDVMy BSIAB2 doesn't sound quite like that 2nd clip. What kind of clean amp are we talking about?

RDV
Now I know why.

RDV

scottosan

Quote from: RDV
Quote from: scottosan

RDV
Now I know why.

RDV
In al seriousness though, I have played this pedal through the clean channels of a matchless clubman, roccaforte hg100, roccaforte custom 40, clean channels of a Marshall DSL50, Mesa Dual Rec and the one thing I've notices(or 2 things) is that its hard to make it sound bad, and it doesn't color the amps tone.

Ed G.

The second clip does sound different from the first, was it set differently or different amp settings? It sounds a little darker (browner) and there's more bass.
That second clip totally gets the VH tone, though. I was at a friend's house and I nailed the 1984 tone when we jammed to "drop dead legs" I started the intro with the guitar's volume down and turned it up for the main riff. On the super reverb, I turned the mids down considerably and set the highs a little brighter than usual, but it got that tone.
I'm dying to know what tweaks you did to the pedal. Did you increase the source resistor of the second gain stage to reduce gain?
I'm thinking about playing around with the treble bypass cap on the gain pot. It gets a little too bright when I turn it down. It's currently 150 pf, I'm thinking 120 or so might be a little better.

scottosan

Quote from: Ed G.The second clip does sound different from the first, was it set differently or different amp settings? It sounds a little darker (browner) and there's more bass.
That second clip totally gets the VH tone, though. I was at a friend's house and I nailed the 1984 tone when we jammed to "drop dead legs" I started the intro with the guitar's volume down and turned it up for the main riff. On the super reverb, I turned the mids down considerably and set the highs a little brighter than usual, but it got that tone.
I'm dying to know what tweaks you did to the pedal. Did you increase the source resistor of the second gain stage to reduce gain?
I'm thinking about playing around with the treble bypass cap on the gain pot. It gets a little too bright when I turn it down. It's currently 150 pf, I'm thinking 120 or so might be a little better.
The first one I used a Carvin DC127 with the humbucker split in the begining and bridge at the end.  The guitar is all maple neck through.  The second clip I used a Tokai Love Rock (Les Paul) with a Duncan Custom 5.  That is why the other one is kinda darker.

BTW, I sent you a pm

Ed G.

Heh, a lot of recorded guitar on the early VH albums were Les Pauls or the Ibanez Destroyer (before he hacked it up with a chainsaw)
That Tokai/Duncan combination sounds bad-ass.