Anyone got a Setup Like Mine ?

Started by petemoore, March 16, 2005, 04:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

What do you like to use on it ?
 If not...tell me about your setup likes/dislikes !!!
 Just thought that's a good question to get inthere...What 'peripheral' items used has a 'direct' influence on any stompboxes, especially Booster/Fuzzes.
 Fodder for interesting discussions !!!
 For pickups, and guitar types, I have both types, country and western...
 a 3SC Washburn Lyon Series Maple N with Rosewood Fretboard.
 A couple Les Pauls, 1rst has Dimarzio PAF Bridge / Neck Split Coil.
 Amp I Use/Like most is Marshall MkII Master Lead 50w V/Reissue and 4x12'' speakers.
 Favorite non-fuzz effects...Reverb, EZVibe andor Phase 90, Wah
 Favorite Fuzz Effects...lol:
 Tonebender MkII Professional
 Si FF [basically Axis Face]
 BMP [4 NTE47's]
 Sparkle Boost or Fetzer
 Liquid Drive  
 Bosstone [boxed yesterday]
 Octave Up Sick Box or Tychobrahe Octavia
 BossTone [boxed yesterday]
 ...I've gotten less mileage from TS types for some reason, and as you can see from the list I make somewhat limited use of OA fuzzboosters, Liquid Drive being the main exception.
 I also have a poor mans deluxe...RCA VICTOR...it likes the OA Fuzzes, loves the YJM308, Dist+'s, most all the Fuzzes and O/Dist boxes have a nice taste...or less nasty 'aftertastes' compared to the 'Big Monster' [MkII]...it's got gain yazoo...more sensative and finicky too.
 FF works great on either amp, much different on one than the other. Big amp's guitar cleanup w/FF is much brighter, and sooner...
 Any Fuzz the Marshall likes the RCA likes, many of the Fuzzes the RCA likes can't be used with the MkII...much more 'forgiving'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

vanhansen

My setup isn't near as elaborate is yours.   :D  Pretty simple really.  

For guitars, I play either my Epi LP Standard (stock pickups), Am Fender Strat (Custom Flat in bridge) or homemade strat style (Jazz/JB combo).  Sometimes I pull out the old Kramer (Custom Custom).  Some folks kringe at the stock Epi pickups but I like them.  Nice and full sounding.

My effects chain is alot shorter than probably almost everyone else on here.  Dunlop Crybaby, MXR Phase 90, BOSS SD-1, BOSS CH-1.  This all feeds in to a JCM900 Mark III 100 Watt and 4x12 cab.  I also have a Rocktron rack with some cool effects in it but haven't used it in several years.  Got a Distortion Pro sitting around too.  Getting rid of it actually.  It doesn't fit my style (thank God I didn't pay for it, got it in a trade).  I drag my Crate GX-15 around to my father-in-law's when he wants to do some "pickin' and a grinnin'".  Much easier than the Marshall  :D.

I don't know if I have a favorite effect really.  I do love my CH-1 and my SD-1 I couldn't do without since I modded it.  I'm still learning a lot and have breadboarded a few small and simple OD circuits but haven't come across the one that I could say would replace my SD-1 yet.  

I've discovered as well that what sounds good through one amp, doesn't sound good through the other.  Found that out with my DP-1.  Sounds terrible through my little amp, but better through the Marshall.  Nothing to right home about.  Not sure what all the hype was about with that thing.
Erik

adgators89

well here is my simplified setup.  I used to have pedals all over the place and I'm down to

guitars  :    Shecter S-1 Elite of Dillion DR-500
pickups :    Seymour Duncan Custom Customs (Blackbacks)
                (ordered through Ed Roman - Las Vegas)
Tuner  :      Korg DTR-1 rackmount tuner
Pedals :     Modded Boss MT-2, Digitech Metal Master,Sparkleboost
                Boss Chorus, Boss Flanger, Digitech Digidelay
Amp    :     Marshall JCM 2000 TSL

I play mostly hard rock / Alternative top 40 / Heavy Metal

Dji

Guitars:
Parker Fly Swamp Ash (beautiful, red, two single-coils, humbucker, piezo).
Very old and beat-up Ovation Celebrity with a bad pickup. I bought it with money from a poetry contest I won as an undergrad.

Amp: Traynor Custom Valve 80

Pedals: Great Cheddar, Phaser Fleur & Rebote 2. I'm working on a Small Stone. Also, I bought an Aphex Acoustic Exciter for my acoustic & piezo. I love that thing.... so much crap stuffed into a Hammond box.

I have a Digitech multi-effects pedal that only sees use as a tuner nowadays. Plus a mic or two, a WAMI rack sound card & box, Acid for drums & incidentals, Cakewalk for recording.

hairyandy

My setup leans a little more towards the "classic":

Guitars:  my main one is a custom made '59 Tele Custom w/ Fralin single coil and a Seth Lover.  Others include 2 Les Pauls (a '72 3-pickup Custom and a single pickup Custom both with Fralin humbuckers) and a '72 Strat, sunburst and way beat-up with a set of Fralins.

Amps:
main one is a 1959 4x10 Bassman.  Others include a  1961 Bassman head, 1973 Marshall 100w Super Tremelo head and two check-front 70's 4x12s with 25w greenbacks.  I've got a 65 London 2x12 combo on the way so I can retire the 4x10 Bassman.

Effects:  most of my good stuff was stolen two months ago.  My current pedal board consists of a vintage Rat, Analog Man TS9, a Rangemaster clone, Line6 Echo Park, 1st issue Univox Superfuzz, block logo Dynacomp, modified GCB95 Crybaby and a TU2.

I need to make more pedals!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

squidsquad

At home gigs:
Am Strat>Blackstone Appliences Overdrive>mosfetboost>Rocket Fuzz>EA Trem>Ayan Super Slim>Twin. Sometimes add an EH MM & Electric Mistress.
When I do concerts w/The Turtles...I travel light & keep it simple:
*Sound* provides me 2 Strats & a Twin (brag brag)...I just bring the mosfet boost & Blackstone Overdrive.  Play clean most of the show...break into a ZZ & Zepplin for fun...and that's all it takes to make any ax scream bloody murder!

tungngruv

A couple Ibanez "mutts" I threw together. The white one's neck is scalloped by me from the 10'th fret up. Other is a 7 string.
Pedals are a Tochy layout Java Boost, YJM 250 and Tube Screamer (thanks Torchy). Not pictured are an unboxed Roseyray, Chaos and AMZ Overdrive Pro (thanks Mark and Jack!!).
The Marshall is an original, not re issue 1979 50w MK 2 Lead and 800cab.(life is good sometimes!!!! :D ).

bwanasonic

A pic of my *practice nook* :

This is my *grab it and go* setup. You can see a bit of my Rivera Quiana (and even my ancient Peavey Backstage 30) in there. The Traynor YCV20WR covers me for smaller club/bar gigs. The GT2 is more of a *security blanket* in case of problems, although it does get stomped on occasionally for distortion purposes. I just love that big blue box that sits on top of everything...

I have a generic Ovation acoustic, and an old (and dear) Ibanez Blazer that see occasional duty. With spring and summer coming the Ovation will be a regular companion on the front porch.

Things I hate doing without on a gig:

Volume pedal  (w/ tuner out and tuner)
AMZ Mosfet Boost
Analog Delay

I'd use my Quiana for every situation if it didn't weigh 80lbs and stun small  animals.

The Tele and Ibanez are strung with .009s, every thing else with .011s or .012s.

Kerry M

hilbi

Guitars:
Fender Telecaster (American Standard)
Fender Stratocaster (American Standard)

Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12

Effects:
AMZ Super Buffer (DIY), Vox Wah V847 (modded), MXR Dynacomp (DIY), Ibanez TS9, Proco Rat, AMZ Mosfet Boost (DIY), EA Tremolo (DIY), Ibanez FL301DX, Ibanez CS9, line 6 DL4.

Working on: Blue Magic (still tweaking) and Dan Armstrong Green Ringer.
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

barret77

wow wow wow wow someone makes some serious noise around here...
:)

my setup: 1963 gibson scout + Ibanez ak85 + Budda wah and a bunch of DIY pedals to be tweaked and finished...

Quote from: hairyandyMy setup leans a little more towards the "classic":

Guitars:  my main one is a custom made '59 Tele Custom w/ Fralin single coil and a Seth Lover.  Others include 2 Les Pauls (a '72 3-pickup Custom and a single pickup Custom both with Fralin humbuckers) and a '72 Strat, sunburst and way beat-up with a set of Fralins.

Amps:
main one is a 1959 4x10 Bassman.  Others include a  1961 Bassman head, 1973 Marshall 100w Super Tremelo head and two check-front 70's 4x12s with 25w greenbacks.  I've got a 65 London 2x12 combo on the way so I can retire the 4x10 Bassman.

Effects:  most of my good stuff was stolen two months ago.  My current pedal board consists of a vintage Rat, Analog Man TS9, a Rangemaster clone, Line6 Echo Park, 1st issue Univox Superfuzz, block logo Dynacomp, modified GCB95 Crybaby and a TU2.

I need to make more pedals!

Ge_Whiz

Guitars: various, but commonly a Washburn Idol WI66V and an AXL perspex strat copy or custom-rewired Burns Marquee.

Amp: HH VS Musician 212 100W or Fender Frontman 25R

Effects: Selection of between two and six units, depending on the gig. Always ROG Peppermill and modified EA tremolo; selection from one fuzz (Tripple Fuzz, Miss Piggy FF, or Tube Bender); Green Ringer / Phuncgnosis; AXL chorus / Digitech phaser; Digitech Metal Master for punk; Escobedo-designed octave-up (forget which one).

Keep it flexible!

MartyMart

Changing constantly and using more and more "DIY" pedals !!
Guitars:

1984 "Jap" Tele (Red)
1994 "Jap" '62 reissue Strat with JB mini humbucker (Tobacco sunburst)
Epiphone 335 dot (vintage sunburst)
Yamaha AES820 "LP" cutaway "Gothic" look and a great guitar ! (Black)
Amps:

Peavey Classic 30
Matamp C7
Marshall JMP-1

FX .....!
Orange Squeezer - DIY
Dyna comp - DIY
TS-9 - DIY
Easy Face - DIY
Tone bender pro II - DIY
Roger Mayer Fuzz Face - DIY
YJM308 - DIY
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Space Chorus
Toadworks Death Rattle
Various Ibanez pedals ...
Boss SD-1 - modded
Boss BD-2 - modded
Boss DS-1 - modded
etc etc etc etc etc ....
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

AL

Guitar(s):
1990 Les Paul Custom Limited Colours Edition - transparent red.
Backups - 1980 Les Paul Custom Silverburst, 1991 Paul Reed   Smith CE-24.

Amp: 1972 Fender Quad Reverb - what a tank!!
Various other amps: 67 and 64 Fender Bassman, Marshall JCM800 2210, Ampeg SB-12 (7868 tubes) - this little guy is a screamer.

Effects: 2x TS5 Tubescreamers, Nobels ODR-S, Roland DC-30. DanEcho needs work at the moment. I keep trying to play my own DIY effects but people keep buying them - which I guess is a good thing.

AL

phrak9

AMP(Preamp):
Torres Tiny tone Deluxe Kit, 1.5 watt single ended, (2) 12ax7 pre and 6005 power tube, has a line out built in which goes to

EFFECTS AFTER PREAMP:
Rocktron Intellifex LTD, STILL! one of the best reverb(time effects) goin'!

EFFECTS BEFORE PREAMP:
Neovibe w/ foot control - just finished
Rodent - In process
**Effects to be built**
Phase 100
Fuzzface
Some kind of funky ring modulator!

POWER AMP:
Intellifex goes to a Crown D-75 Briged mono at 80 watts to

SPEAKER CABINET:
Old crusty "Univox" speaker cab with 2 12" Jensen P12R's

GUITARS:
2004 Gibson Les Paul Jr. w/ Seymour Duncan custom shop JB pickup in P-90 clothing ;)
1981 Japanese Squire strat w/ large headstock 3 hole neck plate strung with 12 's Lindy Fralin Hot strat set.

I strongly recommend building your own amp like the Torres. Dan has been very helpfull giving advice on where to make minute circuit tweaks to get exactly the sound I want. Couldn't ask for more.

--Eric

petemoore

Cool StuFF !!! It's of interest to me what is used/liked/etc.
 Guitars/Amps/effect combos...the possibilities are boundless !!!
 I added cabling at the 'audition' [My Buddy 'Billy Bass' and I have jammed since high school, Gary the drummer jammed in a couple bands too]...the sound kind of like 'died'...'thick and saturated' turned into 'thin and weak'...I built a guitar strap buffer today [actually 2, but the Jfet was too far below unity] ...that should help since the only thing changed was cables length.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Wild Zebra

GUITARS:Electra MPC X-910(I think) Humbuckers awesome guitar
                phase shifter, nice
                power overdrive, more of a boost
               Electra Tele Copy, Neck humbucker Bridge single coil

AMPS- JC-120 w\Roland 4-10 cabinet
          Univox ULM-6 cool little tube amp

EFFECTS-Morley slimline Fuzz Wah
              Morley Volume Compressor
Diy-Rangemaster
      Ger FuzzFace
      Muff Fuzz
      Foxx Tone Machine
      Green Ringer

Still trying to find a good effects chain been having too much
fun building haven't found what I like the most.  They all have unique
qualities

"your stripes are killer bro"
"your stripes are killer bro"

zeppman

I'll chime in too...

Guitar:  '00 Fender Amer. Strat (sunburst  :D  )

Amp: Mesa Mark IV

Effects:  EH Holy Grail Reverb and my RossComp Clone

Some of you guys have some pretty cool stuff!!!

Oliver

Hi,

i use a very thin amount of Equipment:

Guitars: Fender 50th Strat (Japan) and Epiphone SG400 Korina

Amp: 82' FenderDualShowmanReverb TubeTop which is modified to onechannel and some more Gain.

FX (in order from Guitar to Amp):
Jen CryBabyWah (TrueBypass and VoiceMod)->BOSS CS3->DIY RMCFuzz (Si) with BiasPot like the '69 has->DIY TS-808 (modded ClippingSection and more Output)->DIY LPB1 Booster

The Fuzz and TS is set to nealy normal Signaloutput comared to the BypassSignal. TS is set to dirty with TonePot all the way up.
The Fuzz is set to slight Overdrive/Distortion (4/5 Fuzz)
The Chorus is placed between the Wah and Fuzz because of its buffers which prevents problems with the Fuzz after the Wah.
The Booster is used to push up the Signal for Soloparts.

Amp is set to a strong cleansound which dirts a bit when Guitarstrings
are hidden harder.

The Songs i (we) play are Rock/Hardrock and Blues/Bluesrock from the 70th and early 80th

bye
Oliver
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>