Clear coat for box finishing ...suggestions?

Started by BDuguay, March 21, 2005, 09:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

Don't know about you(s), but I'm tired of boxing up a project and chipping the box in the process. What are some of the preffered clear coat products used here? Being Canadian, I'm almost predisposed to shop at Canadian Tire, but I will venture away from my comfort zone if need be.
Thanks!
B.

Triffid

Best stuff i have found is alumahyde II from brownells.com

edit...sorry for the mispell

mojotron

Plasti Kote Truck/SUV clear coat is lacquer based, creates a really tough finish.

BDuguay

Thanks forum members, that's a great start.

O

Quote from: mojotronPlasti Kote Truck/SUV clear coat is lacquer based, creates a really tough finish.

Can you "bake" that? If you can, does it turn yellow?

mojotron

Quote from: O
Quote from: mojotronPlasti Kote Truck/SUV clear coat is lacquer based, creates a really tough finish.

You don't have to bake it, it lays out really flat and smooth, it drys fast and gets hard overnight at 70 degrees... I'm not sure if baking it like you would enamal would get you anything..

However, I do put a lamp on it to give it roughly an 80 degree environment to dry for about an hour after I spray it... and I did not notice any yellowing and I have done this getting the surface up to about 110 degrees for about 45 min - 1 hour....

Hope this answers your question...

O

I'm trying different paint and techniques... I'm going to give that paint a try and see how it goes. Thanks!

SteveB

Krylon Crystal Clear is a fast drying tough clear coat. In the states it's available at Wally World & craft stores. Great stuff.

Steve

mojotron

Quote from: O

I tested this last night and found that Plasti Kote Truck/SUV clear coat does yellow if you bake it....  :cry:

But, it really does not need to be baked - it drys pretty fast.... If using enamel below it - you might want to bake that first and let it harden....

So far, I found that a laquer clear coat works great over lacquer, but I've had mixed results spraying lacquer over enamel...

BDuguay

I found out that, because I used enamel paint, my choices were limited.
I ended up buying some auto clear coat. We'll see....
Thanks for all the input folks!