EA Tremolo Speed Knob Reversed

Started by Pushtone, March 21, 2005, 10:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushtone

Hi All,
Just finished my EAT (from GGG) and the speed pot is at it's slowest turned full clock wise and at it's fastest turned full counter clock wise.

Is this normal operation?  The Depth and volume pots work like you would expect. At least it sounds good (I mean is sounds right, no other issues, it sounds good too).

(PS for EAT freaks--I subbed 0.68uF caps for the speced 1uF. I'm getting good fast speed (quarter note pulses at 130bpm) but not quite slow enough of a pulse to suit a 60bpm ballad. I hope to address this speed pot issue and then drop in the 1/2 speed footswitch mod.)

Thanks, Dave (Pushtone)
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

petemoore

Quote from: PushtoneHi All,
Just finished my EAT (from GGG) and the speed pot is at it's slowest turned full clock wise and at it's fastest turned full counter clock wise.

Is this normal operation?  The Depth and volume pots work like you would expect. At least it sounds good (I mean is sounds right, no other issues, it sounds good too).
 >>>'Normal?'...leave the wiper connected, invert the outside potlug connections for reversed knob turn function. .

(PS for EAT freaks--I subbed 0.68uF caps for the speced 1uF. I'm getting good fast speed (quarter note pulses at 130bpm) but not quite slow enough of a pulse to suit a 60bpm ballad. I hope to address this speed pot issue and then drop in the 1/2 speed footswitch mod.)

Thanks, Dave (Pushtone)
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

onboard

Quote from: PushtoneHi All, Just finished my EAT (from GGG) and the speed pot is at it's slowest turned full clock wise and at it's fastest turned full counter clock wise. Is this normal operation?

Are you using a reverse or standard log pot? Wiring a log pot "backwards" for LFO speed is more consistant through the whole rotation - though CW/CCW action is reversed.

If you're using reverse log and it's working backwards, then you can swap outside wires and you'll be back to clockwise = increase.

The theory is lost on me, but a search for controlling LFO speed ought to turn up some detailed info. "The Secret Life of Pots" is on the recommended reading list...
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

petemoore

Yupp I didn't think that one through I guess.
 If it's linear you can switch the outside lugs N/P...and the knob'll work the 'same' but 'backwards' as far as CCw/Cw
 If it's a log pot though on a trem, there may be other issues to consider...that's where I back up and hope I didn't steer you wrong already.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Pushtone

I'm using a standard 25K log. I tried reversing the outter lugs, it worked as you say... much less consistant across its rotation, now I read SLOP (secret life of pots) to find out why.

Solution = get a reverse log pot.
Which I had not heard of before now.

Hey, thats why I'm building these projects, for the learning.

Thanks, for the pointers.
Dave :)
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

onboard

Quote from: PushtoneSolution = get a reverse log pot.

Remeber you can always get a higher value and go to work with tapering resistors. 50k reverse log is still out there for amp repairs...

SLOP (secret life of pots) - I laughed out loud - that's a good one!!!!!
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."