legal help wanted! Got a cease and desist call from Dunlop!

Started by Speeddemon, March 21, 2005, 02:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fret Wire

Well put Brad. :)  I just meant to add a little light humor to mix, but unfortunately some of it is sad. RG said once, "If you don't want it shared or copied, don't post it", or words to that effect. So true. I wonder how many of Torchy's or Andy's (Dragonfly) vero layouts are going to be used for profit? No doubt some will.  :(

Funny, speaking of the Fulltone 70 thread, I found two schematics, and a pcb layout in my collection. I looked at it way back when, wasn't impressed, and never built it.

QuoteIt seems to have gotten worse over the past year too.
True, there did seem to be more who came aboard, asked some questions, pm'd about ideas, then next thing you know they're in business. Still, the people here are the most helpful, respectfull out there. Aron's site has no equal. 8)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

brad

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Oliver

Quote from: zachary vexyeah, well at this point, it's obvious that the reason for the similarity is to attract attention to make money.  there's a lot of this going in in Europe right now.  cloning currently-made products for profit is theft, plain and simple.  and completely unjustifiable.  end of story.  there is no excuse.  flame away, apologists.  all this time and energy being devoted to copying someone else's hard work... whatever happened to doing something original, people?  is it just... too... (pant pant pant)... difficult? *collapses for dramatic effect*

Hi,

for sure - only in Europe we are all exclusively cloning Stompboxes that are still under production  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Could You look aut of the Window? Outside in Your Homecountry more people than in the BAD Europe are cloning those stuff!  :wink:

Examples?

Ibanez Tubescreamer:
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (this is the hard Work from Fulltone who invented the whole circuit  :lol:  )
GGG Standard Overdrive http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pics/std_od.jpg self invented???????  :lol:
Aramat Green Machine = really selfinvented Toy !!!!  :lol:  :lol:
http://mjmguitarfx.com/mjm_bluesdevil.html = another "selfinvented" TS???  :lol:
Reverend Drivetrain = just another TS  :?
VisualSound Route66 Overdrive = not another TS, isnt it?

oooooooh we are so evil here in Europe !!!  :twisted:  :twisted:

What would happen, if Ibanez or Maxon take legal actions agains
those above????

And i forgot something....
What about the MiniBooster called imaginative THE FAT Booster??
Fulltone worked surely very hard on this circuit during the inventiontime  :lol:  :lol:

To my mind Your opinion - Zachary - should be reconsidered, shouldnt it?

bye

Oliver

from BAD EUROPE !!!!!
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

snap

Quote from: javacodyThis thread is a joke. mlabee, RG, save your breath for people who aren't wasting oxygen.

I'll bet Dunlop didn't even call him.

No reason to doubt about speeddemon having been called up.
Was the call signed, sealed, or just delivered?
Could have been some jealous homebrew competitor doing a clone call.

zachary vex

Quote from: Oliver

Hi,

for sure - only in Europe we are all exclusively cloning Stompboxes that are still under production  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

bye

Oliver

from BAD EUROPE !!!!!

no, my assessment was quite accurate.  you've put words in my mouth.

Ge_Whiz

D'ya know, I've only ever got to know one Dutch person well in my life - she was the daughter of van Meegeren, the famous art forger.

Nothing against Europeans, though, it was just a coincidental thought... :lol:

hilbi

I think it's better to close this thread.

From what i see the reason what started this thread was just attention.

And now it is getting in "the europeans are copy cats" vs "but the americans did this" wich doesn't add much to this great forum.
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'd like to thank the wonderful people at Korg for not complaining about my MS20 filter clone!
The circuit is exactly the same (except that I have added voltage control for the resonance). Mind you, the box looks nothing like a MS20 synth :wink: and it does have written on the front that it is a 'clone'.

zachary vex

Quote from: Ge_WhizD'ya know, I've only ever got to know one Dutch person well in my life - she was the daughter of van Meegeren, the famous art forger.

Nothing against Europeans, though, it was just a coincidental thought... :lol:

bah.  my point was that there is some intense activity in Europe (especially Germany) right now where boutique designers are being copied in both kit form and finished product.  it's also happening in Japan and elsewhere, but it's most blatant at the moment in Europe, where it seems to be a point of pride to rip off a "sacred cow" boutique designer.

plain and simple, it's theft of intellectual property, and it's a perfect example of being completely unimaginative.  they're no better than common shoplifters.  their justification?  they believe they are playing "robin hood."  @#$% them.  they aren't playing robin hood.  robin hood stole from the rich.  robin hood fought tyranny. robin hood was decent and cared about people who were oppressed.  they're just childish self-righteous thieves who are making a profit by ripping off someone else's imaginative creations and hard work.  these vampires would be nothing without the creative people whose blood they suck.

zachary vex

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I'd like to thank the wonderful people at Korg for not complaining about my MS20 filter clone!
The circuit is exactly the same (except that I have added voltage control for the resonance). Mind you, the box looks nothing like a MS20 synth :wink: and it does have written on the front that it is a 'clone'.

interesting.  i contacted Nyle about using his filter for a future project and he sent me a hand-drawn modification to the famous filter that added voltage-controlled resonance!  8^)  what a sweet guy.  he was just happy that i pointed out that both D. and C. were releasing modules based on his design.  you wouldn't believe what he's into... he's got a website where he tells you how to build your own adjustable electrolytic caps and multiple versions of n-resistance semiconductors you can make in your garage out of pieces of scrap metal and a propane torch!  the guy is totally freaky.  you gotta love it.

NaBo

He wasn't really attacking your country/continent... just pointing out a recent trend I suppose.  Don't take it personally, unless you're one of the guys doing it  :wink:

Ultimately, it's really of no consequence where it's happening or who's doing it more than who.  It's just not right when someone tries to turn a profit using someone else's hard work.

NaBo

Quote from: zachary vexhe's got a website where he tells you how to build your own adjustable electrolytic caps and multiple versions of n-resistance semiconductors you can make in your garage out of pieces of scrap metal and a propane torch!  the guy is totally freaky.  you gotta love it.

umm... link please?  :D

Dirk_Hendrik

Zachary,

Would you be able to give some examples of this? Browsing the effects building market (incorporating everything from DIY to real boutique) on a daily basis I'm not able to share your "europe" conclusion. The only conclusion I keep on running into is that there's an immense growth of "This is boutique"-GGG ripoffs and similar stuff as well as a lot of Clones with a mod stuff which I personally don't consider boutique either.

Having said that and looking around to original designes I don't see an enormous growth of copies of their stuff, let alone comercially sold and if I see something suggesting this there's no suggestion Europe is more often the source.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

MartyMart

GEEZ  >>> PEOPLE   !!!
ER, WHY HAS THIS THREAD GOT TO FIVE PAGES ????

The guy who built the "look-alike" pedal had his answer within a few posts

IE: Make the damm thing "look" different or you're in trouble !! :roll:  :roll:

I dont get what happened after that and I cannot be bothered to read the five pages of "JUNK" that followed !!!!   :?
Come on, lets get back to building/designing some cool circuits...

Marty 8)     :shock:  :roll:  :shock:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

H.Manback

Quote from: zachary vex

Hi,

bye

Oliver

from BAD EUROPE !!!!!

Wow, are you a lawyer or something besides FX builder :roll:

Very nice editing of his post :roll: you yadayadayadad out the best part

Dirk_Hendrik

That JUNK gave me a lot of new insights. Maybe not completely ontopic but I was learning some new things. Therefore I consider this pretty good junk.

Why did it go to five pages? Apparently because it interests people?
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

zachary vex

Quote from: H.Manback
Quote from: zachary vex

Hi,

bye

Oliver

from BAD EUROPE !!!!!

Wow, are you a lawyer or something besides FX builder :roll:

Very nice editing of his post :roll: you yadayadayadad out the best part

nothing personal.  8^)

H.Manback

Speeddemon

here's the man himself again.

couple of things;
-I guess I was too hasty with posting this thread twice, but I was still in shock/amazement. I mean, Jim Dunlop's own DAUGHTER (Jasmin Dunlop-Powell) called me!
-after thinking it over I am abit ashamed that this comes across a bit like Behringer's marketing tactics regarding the Boss pedals; but there are some major differences:
* this WASN'T plan of some long term marketing scheme. I'll make 5 more CAD Boost or whatever I plan to call them and that's it. Then I'll start thinking about another boost.
*I'm no big dog with $$ lawyers
*I never claimed MXR is o.k. with this (Behringer told sales reps they had green light from Roland)
*I didn't create an inferior product (in terms of durability) for 1/4th of the price. I addressed the few things that could be improved on the Micro Amp; like TB, better DC jack placement, lower noise components.

Let it be CLEAR that I had/have NO INTENTION whatsoever to use this phonecall-thing as a boost for sales!
It's been about 14 hours since the call, and I'm still kinda shaky.

I very much appreciate the legal advice from Mlabbee, and after receiving a mail from Jasmin Dunlop-Powell it is now totally and utterly clear to me that the MXR logo is indeed trademarked, also in Europe, and that the similarity, fonttype and rectangle is a violation of a trade dress.

According to someone on HC, PARODIES are protected, so maybe in that case (like my 'MXR Imitations Inc' being a clear parody on 'MXR Innovations Inc') I'd still have a leg to stand on.

@Zvex, stop the whole Robin Hood-ish thing alright?!  :evil:

I admit I am wrong, this thing got out of hand.
Why don't you report every goddamn TS808/Ross Comp/FAT Boost builder to the original designers as well. They're probably still alive too.  :roll:
Meanwhile @ TGP:
"I was especially put off by the religious banterings written inside the LDO pedal. I guess he felt it was necessary to thank God that someone payed $389 for his tubescreamer!"