Howsabout a STEIM Kraakdoos (Crackle Box)?

Started by inverseroom, March 23, 2005, 09:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maximee

did you already build it? when i have time i might give it a shot, looks cool...
maybe i am gonna implement it in my sound lab mini synth when i finished building it... :)
extreme noise terror  :twisted:

Coriolis

Any idea why the schematic says you can't use another opamp but the 709?
Is it  particularly badly specced or what? I mean, you would think it was possible to get similar sounds with any opamp... :?:
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

smashinator

Quote from: CoriolisAny idea why the schematic says you can't use another opamp but the 709?
Is it  particularly badly specced or what? I mean, you would think it was possible to get similar sounds with any opamp... :?:

I say if you've got a breadboard and some opamps, try it out and see.  :)

This looks like a cool project, I'm going to have to try it out!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you want something that behaves exactly like the Crackle Box, you need a 709, because the compensating and offset pins are part of the behavior.
Other chips might be even better, who knows??
As for getting the 709, look for very early integrated electronic stuff (really noisy!) and surplus dealers. The uA709 and LM709 are interchangeable.
I must say, using the PCB as the panel face is good :idea:

loscha

I've got a bunch of Can 709 op-amps here if anyone really wants to build this device, they are Fairchild, 22nd week of 81, I believe. I've got about 35 or so, they are currently in never-used DEC modem receive cards. Each card has a 709, a trimpot, optocoupler, and a BC549 tranny (as well as a few caps and resistors). I'm bored and up late, so, I'm actually reversing the schematic for them now. I assume they will b converted to DECSTORTIONS sooner or later..... :twisted:

markings are:
F
UA709HC
HONGKONG
which part of sin theta plus index times sin theta times ratio do you need me to clarify to you?

Bernardduur

Could you feed a signal into it and make it go completely crazy??
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

loscha

I would say yes.
Kind of like rigging up a 555 timer in some ways, contact on different points, across the Cap, or either end resistor A or B all give different effects.

Maybe a combined 555 timer noise squealer and crackle box in one device would be good, make it patchable, or some switches for cross mod.

my creative ideas are flowing now  :wink:
which part of sin theta plus index times sin theta times ratio do you need me to clarify to you?

puretube