News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

amp building

Started by zeppman, March 24, 2005, 10:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeppman

Does anyone know a good place to look for amplifier building?  I want more of a step by step kit since I'm a beginner...5-10watt tube amp kit.  Anyone here ever build something like this?  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks.

smashinator

You, my friend, need to go to www.AX84.com

Everything you need, plus an awesome forum chock full of helpful info and people.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Fret Wire

Weber is now carrying some complete, step by step kits.
https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/kitord_r.htm
The 5F1 tweed champ is right in your power range.

These kind of amp kits are almost too good. You can build a great amp without knowing or learning much. Thats where amp forums like Smashinator listed are great.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zeppman

great link...but i think i need a little more help then that.  I don't even now pin numbers on tubes!

robotboy

Quote from: zeppmangreat link...but i think i need a little more help then that.  I don't even now pin numbers on tubes!

Not trying to be a downer, but you should be extremely careful if you don't know what you're doing. The warning on the ax84 front page should not be taken lightly:

The projects described in these pages utilize POTENTIALLY FATAL HIGH VOLTAGES. If you are in any way unfamiliar with high voltage circuits or are uncomfortable working around high voltages, PLEASE DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE BY BUILDING THEM. Seek help from a competent technician before building any unfamiliar electronics circuit. While efforts are made to ensure accuracy of these circuits, no guarantee is provided, of any kind!

That's why I'm messing with stompboxes instead of amps  :wink:

KORGULL

I'd do some more research before jumping into high voltage work.
I just found this page of links earlier tonight, check it out, there are some good tube/amp related pages listed. Lots of other cool stuff -many parts and datasheet resources, projects, free software, "how-to" guides, and more.
There are even entire books and magazines you can download. I got a 400+ page PDF book about op-amps that looks pretty good.
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21563

gtrmac

A kit amp is a good idea but some kit sellers have better instructions than others. I think Weber just sells you the parts and includes a schematic and layout drawing. I built a kit like this as my first project but I did a lot of reading beforehand.

And I work as an electronics technician to begin with. I had never built a tube amp from scratch though so I did a lot of reading beforehand.

I built a Tweed Deluxe clone and later an 18 Watt Marshall clone. Both amps turned out great and I use them all the time for gigging.

Be very aware (beware) of the potential hazards of high voltage tube power supplies! Don't ever stick your hand inside unless you have switched off power, discharged the filter capacitors and verified it with a meter.

Low power tube amps pose the same threat as bigger amps too.

:D

WorkBench

check out the forum at Hoffman amps.com, check out the whole site, especially  the library of information.
Chris
All good things in all good time

JimKo

I second the Hoffman Site.  I just finished my first build.  It's a deluxe reverb clone.  It came out great.  Doug and the rest of the Hoffman members were really helpful.

Jim

Paul Marossy

Get a kit from www.allenamps.com - even people who have had no previous electronics experience can build one of his amps thanks to the great instructions included. The kits aren't cheap, but I think they are worth it, you can't get a comparable amp for less. I have thought about buying one of those kits from time to time. I sorta like the Brown Sugar model.

dosmun

cd

Start with the Tube Amp FAQ at www.geofex.com, the Guitar Amp debugging page (same site) is a good read as well.  And to remind you again, heed the safety warnings from everyone above!!

al3151

I just finnished my first amp not too long ago.Its a P1 from AX84.com.It was alot of fun and not too hard.Its a very nice sounding tube amp that you can crank and there is a lot of info and support available including a very helpful and informative forum and plenty of links and pics.

Here's mine-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/al3151/al3151P1a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/al3151/al3151P1b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/al3151/al3151P1c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/al3151/al3151P1d.jpg

Clipped

http://www.stf-electronics.com/  Scroll down about 3/4 of the way on the page and they have a "Champ Head" kit that includes a pre-punched chasis and an instruction book for $209. Add a master volume and tone for slightly more.

Sounds like his book is made for the beginner.

As others have stated, BE VERY CAREFUL! These voltages aren't like sticking your tongue on a 9V....

Have fun,
Ron
To Each His Tone.

zeppman

Thank you to everyone, you guys have been very helpful.  I have read a lot of the warnings, and I know how dangerous it is.  That is why I want a simple step by step instruction manual...basically a "build your own amp for dummies"  All the parts plus easy instructions.  I have general electronics knowledge, just not with tubes.  I want a nice low watt amp that I can crank the crap out of and get that sweet tone with out people 5 miles away hearing me (like i currently have to do with my boogie).  As far as the high voltage.... can't people where some thick rubber gloves and they will be ok?

smashinator

Quote from: zeppmancan't people where some thick rubber gloves and they will be ok?

Just in case you aren't joking....  You have to learn what and where the dangers are to avoid them.  You MUST take the time to learn how to work safely on this gear.  It's not hard, just make sure you understand how to do it.  We'd all feel bad if you got zapped.  We'd still nickname you "crispy" or "cap'n toast" but we wouldn't laugh about it.

Low watt does not equal low voltage, necessarily.  If you do want low voltage, check out www.sopht.ca.  All 12 volt projects, and they are all tube projects.  On those, you just need to keep your tongue out of the amp guts and you'll be fine.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Fret Wire

A complete kit with chassis and cabinet sounds like what you want. Do you have cabinet making skills, metal working skills? Do you want to get components from several different places? If not, go with a complete kit.  The little hardware items such as grommets, nuts, bults and other fasteners come in the complete kits.They also require less tuning after. Kits are cheaper than the originals, but still, money doesn't grow on trees. You still want your first amp to look and sound good, be solid, and be a keeper. :)

As far as safety, you can never be safe enough with high voltage. Just like a power saw, firearm, or other tool, understand and respect safety practices, or you will be taught a deadly lesson.

When an amp is plugged in, both the AC and DC are deadly. When unplugged, the electrolytic caps store enough DC high voltage to stop your heart or respratory system. They have to be discharged each and every time you work on the amp.

Here's a simple to build cap discharging tool that is safer than using the screw driver method.
http://www.schematicheaven.com/

If you order a kit, take the time while it's being delivered to get all your tools together. Build your discharging probe before the amp kit hits your porch. You'll use it on every amp. While your waiting for the kit to arrive, go to Geo, ampage, AX84, 18watt, and other good amp forums, and study up on safety practices. Also, if you are building a clone kit, study up on the particular amp you're getting so you are more familiar with its characteristics. Most places who have kits like Weber also have forums to help with those specific kits. In other words, be prepared, both with equipment and knowledge before you start. Be patient, safe, and methodical, and your first kit will go smooth and sound great. :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

R.G.

If you go ahead with this, you'll almost certainly want to read the Tube Amp Debugging Page at GEO.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

zeppman

Thanks for the concern guys  :lol:   But again, I'm not that dumb.  I know that a even 1watt tube amp can nail me.  This was just a thought I had lastnight.  I need a nice sounding amp for practice and small gigs.  I just wanted to know what's out there.  I have about $500 to play with.  I plan on reading all the safety links you guys have sent me, and if you have anymore, please post them.  I'm just a guy who loves to play, and loves electronics.  Has anyone built one of those weber kits?  They are appealing to me the most right now.

soggybag

I just built the Champ head Kit from STF. I like the kit it came with everything to make a fender champ as a head (no cabinet). It has a tube rectifier and the output transformer had multiple impedance output for 2, 4 and 8 ohm speakers.

The amps works well. I built it with the tone control and master volume.

For the price this seems to be a good deal. You get everything, all parts tubes, jewel light, knobs and chassis, except for the peaker and cabinet for a little over $200. The chassis is punched for the tube sockets but you will still need to drill for the jacks and posts.

On the down side I felt the instructions were lacking. There were a few places where they refered to pictures that were not very clear or did not show what was referenced. STF offers the book for $29, I would not recommend buying the book as it was just a bunch of color copies, definitely not worth $29.