Previous topic - Next topic

vfr800fiman

Hi all-
I'm going to be building a Ruby amp http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html
for my Niece soon (she's 10).
My question is, I would like to add a headphone jack to this
project to keep my Sister from killing me :o
Has anyone done this mod to this amp?
A partial schematic would be greatly appreciated if anyone has.
I have built a few tube amps, but this will be my first solid state  :(
Thanks in advance!
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

B Tremblay

You'll need either an 1/8" or 1/4" (depending on the size of the headphones plug) closed-tip, open ring stereo jack.

Wire it in as shown below for the main speaker to be silenced when the headphones are plugged into the circuit.

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

vfr800fiman

Thank you very much!
I was wondering if I could wire it like that or not.
I thought the output might be too much for headphones.
I guess you'd want to make sure to crank the volume down
before "pluggin-in".
Thanks again!
Glenn
Build targets.

inverseroom

I don't know what B. thinks of this, but I found the headphone signal in that configuration to be hotter than hell.  I put in a switch that selected between headphones and speaker/cab, and then made the cab output a closed-circuit switch, and put a resistor between the switch and the headphone jack, so it's quieter.

The Ruby is awesome!

vfr800fiman

Yeah, I was wondering if I could just place a resistor in
the signal path to lower the volume a bit.
The switch idea is great! I think I'll give it a try with
my resistor box in place so I can determine a value.
Thanks!
Glenn
Build targets.

B Tremblay

If you are not hard-wiring the speaker and using an output jack, then you could use the alternate approach as described by inverseroom.

I used the setup shown in the schematic and found the headphone level to be  manageable, but caution is still necessary.  The Ruby is capable of output levels that can damage your hearing when using headphones.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

SirPoonga

That's what I did for my ruby.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v472/SirPoonga/Ruby/

However, I know want a CD line in jack to so I can play with music.  Is there a way to keep my CD line in stereo since the headphone jack currently just jumps left and right on the jack?

Maybe it's due to the bass and/or headphones, but I've had my ruby cranked.  It was loud but but not annoyingly loud.  I usually have the volume set at about 2/3 rotation.

However, there is a noticable differnce in loudness between 9v and 12v.  And I, obviously, use 9v.

The differences in my ruby and the ROG schematic is I have the bassman mods minus the cap across the one pot (didn't sound any different with it there or not when breadboarded) and I have a switch pot for volume instead of using the input jack to turn the circuit on.  Makes it more like a portable radio.

vfr800fiman

This setup will be hardwired to 2-4" speakers, so I may
try the switch/resistor trick.
Having an input for a CD player is a good idea also :idea:
This thing is growing in complexity by the hour :o
Glenn
Build targets.

B Tremblay

Quote from: SirPoongaHowever, I know want a CD line in jack to so I can play with music.  Is there a way to keep my CD line in stereo since the headphone jack currently just jumps left and right on the jack?

You can a have a stereo line-in jack (with the tip and ring connected), but the output will still be mono.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

SirPoonga

Quote from: B Tremblay
Quote from: SirPoongaHowever, I know want a CD line in jack to so I can play with music.  Is there a way to keep my CD line in stereo since the headphone jack currently just jumps left and right on the jack?

You can a have a stereo line-in jack (with the tip and ring connected), but the output will still be mono.

Yeah, that's what I am wondienrg, can I keep the the CD as stereo?

SirPoonga

Quote from: vfr800fimanThis setup will be hardwired to 2-4" speakers, so I may
try the switch/resistor trick.
Having an input for a CD player is a good idea also :idea:
This thing is growing in complexity by the hour :o
Glenn

Being a bassist I want to play along with music.  I could see how a guitarist may not need a CD in, but it would still be nice :)

Actually, I keep tinkering with the circuit.  Right now I have the gain resistor set at a level that doesn't give me much distortion when volume is turned up.
However, while playing around with that value I found a nice overdrive sound for my bass :)  I'm wondering if I should plug the ruby into my active jack on the head then, instead of the normal passive.

Anyway, here's something else you may want to look into for your niece.
http://www.fivefeathers.com/
I have learned so much just by dinking around playing along with those CDs.

vfr800fiman

Yes, I actually have been meaning to get some
of those CD's myself. They were recommended
by a lot of people.
Glenn
Build targets.

SirPoonga

I've been talking with them, asking when the new bass 2 cd is coming out.  They actually have alot of them ready but some sort of issue with shipping or getting a store to play ball.

I love it, but I have one issue with the bass cd, it is repeatative.  There's one song that repeats the same 12 bar blues about 20 times.  It would be nice if they threw in a guitar solo or something once and awhile, or made the chorus vs verse audibly different, something to mix it up abit.

They said they have a little of that in the second cd.  I am waiting to see :)  I did give them many suggestions during our email conversations.  Nice company to tlak to.

Right now, other than that CD, I have no way to apply what I have learned in lessons to playing along with music.

toneman

have U ever heard of "Band in a Box"???
use it on your PC or Mac.
google 4 more Nfo.
T
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

SirPoonga

Quote from: tonemanhave U ever heard of "Band in a Box"???
use it on your PC or Mac.
google 4 more Nfo.
T

I've seen that.  I think I tried it.  I'd have to look but I think they make a Jam in a Box that will Jam with you.  It catches chord changes or you tell it to change.  The catch is you need to be hooked up through midi, a little tough and expensive for guitar/bass.

Peter Snowberg

With 386 amps, I like to add a series 500 ohm pot to the output. That allows you to go from full volume to whisper quiet with a 12 inch guitar speaker.

Quite often, headphone jacks have additional series resistance in their hookup. The raw signal here is being passed to the speaker when nothing is plugged into the jack so you can't just toss a resistor in front. You can however use a resistor in the ground lead of the headphone jack, if you have an insulated jack.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

vfr800fiman

Thank you Peter.
I will try the resistor in the ground leg of the headphone jack.
I will be using an insulated jack.
Glenn
Build targets.

vfr800fiman

Is this an acceptable method for protecting
the circuit from someone touching the
battery to the snap backwards?
I know this will heat up the battery
if left connected, but I just want it
for protection against momentary contact.

Thanks.
Glenn
Build targets.

barret77

what is a good value for the headphone resistor?

barret77

Hi, I don't want to hijaack the thread, but a simple question:
Is there a recommended 3 knob (low, mid, high) passive tone stack circuit I could add to the Ruby? any from Duncam Amps simulator?

thanks!