4022 Octal Counter based sequencer.

Started by brad, April 03, 2005, 04:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad

Here's a simple 8-Step sequencer I drew based on the Vanishing Point that uses a 4022 Octal Counter instead of the VP's 10-step decade counter.  I don't have room on my breadboard to test it just yet, but I'm hopeful it will be the answer to my search for a simple 8-step sequencer with indicator LEDs!

nosamiam

Let us know how it turns out.  It looks like a simple and very cool project.

ExpAnonColin

@#$%ing awesome if it works out right.

-Colin

brad

I don't see why it shouldn't.  The 4022 shares the same datasheet as the 4017 used in the Vanishing Point -they're basically the same chip by the looks of it, except one has 8 counts and the other has 10.

All kudos should be directed at The Tone God for coming up with the Vanishing Point in the first place!  I just thought the 8 steps offered by the 4022 chip would be cool.

I'll eventually post some complete schematics of the sequencer driven effects I've been toying with for the past year.  It'll be much easier to fill in the missing sequencer values after they've been tweaked for the audio circuit they're driving!

no one ever

what happened to the picture!!  ???

;D curiosity strikes.
(chk chk chk)

Connoisseur of Distortion

an 8 count sequencer actually seems more practical in musical situations. i know i seldom find myself in 10/8 or 10/4 time...  :)

Austin73

Just out of interest would it be possible to have the sequencer as a stand alone expression pedal type thingy! lol Sorry not sure what to call it but imagine plugging the sequencer into any effect to control any parameter u like ! Does that make sense? That's what I am looking for eventually

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

NoFi

Thats what i'm doing with the Vanishing Point.
I'm in the process of adding RCA plugs to all the pedals sounding nice with the Vanishing Point, so that i can hook them up easily.
You might get some clock ticking sometimes though.
That was my very first trial, the VP with a ring mod lol :
http://thebin.free.fr/GC/MoldPoint.mp3
Weird.  :icon_mrgreen:.

It can do a lot more things than the usual filter sweep synched to the tempo.
An expression pedal just cant move the pots from one point to another fast enough to give those sounds. Or you ankle would hurt lol.
But an expression pedal is still nice for controling the speed of the sequencer...  :icon_lol:

no one ever

Quote from: NoFi on April 18, 2006, 06:19:18 AM
Thats what i'm doing with the Vanishing Point.
I'm in the process of adding RCA plugs to all the pedals sounding nice with the Vanishing Point, so that i can hook them up easily.
You might get some clock ticking sometimes though.
That was my very first trial, the VP with a ring mod lol :
http://thebin.free.fr/GC/MoldPoint.mp3
Weird.  :icon_mrgreen:.

It can do a lot more things than the usual filter sweep synched to the tempo.
An expression pedal just cant move the pots from one point to another fast enough to give those sounds. Or you ankle would hurt lol.
But an expression pedal is still nice for controling the speed of the sequencer...  :icon_lol:

sounds cool... definitely different than a ringtone, more techno-y.

mold spore?
(chk chk chk)

swt

hi!. i'd really like to take a look at that...but it doesn't show. can you send it to me?..
swtnqn@yahoo.com.ar

NoFi

The file is more than one meg, i dont think i can send it.
Maybe try again at different times (save the file on your drive, and then use any mp3 player)..

You're correct it's the mold spore.

no one ever

wow! nice

could i have a copy of that pcb layout?  ;D

what mods have you put on? whats that big black cap-looking thing sticking out?

if you can attach it on your side, i'm sure my gmail acct can take it. (aka.hector @ gmail. com)
(chk chk chk)

NoFi

I was trying different cap/resistor values at that time for the random mode.
The layout is for a 1590Q enclosure. Basically it's just Andrew's layout with the pots/leds etc. added on the board, transistors on each of the 4017's outputs to be able to power more optos without disturbing the counter, and a matrix of 10  switches (DIP) to do some basic on/off switching from the sequencer...
Andrew was really helpfull (thx again !).
Also, i have a pot in parallel with each opto to be able to tune it's range depending on what's connected to it.
It's not all finished and tested yet so i'm not posting the layout at this point.
+ i think it's better if you do one for your own needs, and for the parts you want to use.
And i'm not a layout expert so it's probably a really bad design anyway lol
It's all here :

The Tone God

That is way better then any of the rat nests I've built using The Vanishing Point circuits.

I don't know if anyone has read my comments in one of the more recent threads but I'm right now working on The Vanishing Point v2.1. I have replaced the random opto so it is not needed anymore and I think I have a nice set of part values that should make the circuit easier to build with less tweaking and I got rid of some of the larger caps too. It will also included some of the patches needed by some.

As of right now I have a "upgrade" schematic for those who have built v2.0 and want to move to v2.1 and a v2.1 "stand alone" schematic which has a few new features. I also have a few other thoughts and mods worked out that I will be offering. I won't be doing a PCB for it.

Andrew

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on April 21, 2006, 03:59:15 PM
That is way better then any of the rat nests I've built using The Vanishing Point circuits.

I don't know if anyone has read my comments in one of the more recent threads but I'm right now working on The Vanishing Point v2.1. I have replaced the random opto so it is not needed anymore and I think I have a nice set of part values that should make the circuit easier to build with less tweaking and I got rid of some of the larger caps too. It will also included some of the patches needed by some.

As of right now I have a "upgrade" schematic for those who have built v2.0 and want to move to v2.1 and a v2.1 "stand alone" schematic which has a few new features. I also have a few other thoughts and mods worked out that I will be offering. I won't be doing a PCB for it.

Andrew

Glad I have been putting my ideas on the back burner for this one.

Muchos gratsias

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

The Tone God

Quote from: nelson on April 21, 2006, 06:23:44 PMMuchos gratsias

Your welcome. :)

Quote from: nelson on April 21, 2006, 06:23:44 PM
Glad I have been putting my ideas on the back burner for this one.

Anything particular that I should be aware of while I have the thing breadboarded and tweakable ?

Andrew

NoFi

I can't wait to see those schemos and new features for 2.1 !!!

I might as well build another one from scratch and improve my layout lol.

no one ever

Looking good NoFi! What pcb design program did you use?
(chk chk chk)

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on April 21, 2006, 06:48:19 PM
Anything particular that I should be aware of while I have the thing breadboarded and tweakable ?
Andrew

My particular Ideas necessitated a step function for certain tuning needs.

I assume you have that covered already.

The ideas mainly involved  nice new ways to integrate it into other circuits.

If my ideas pan out I will be contacting you.

Ofcourse getting rid of the second optocoupler and making the circuit more concrete is a plus. Although the pot used to tweak the random optocoupler would make a nice "level of Randomness" pot if panel mounted and used correctly.

I dont know how many times I have heard musicians say "Its too random".  ::)

;)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

toneless

Where is the schematic??? :icon_surprised:

Nice clip NoFi! :icon_cool: