4022 Octal Counter based sequencer.

Started by brad, April 03, 2005, 04:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spudulike

Where did you get those pots  ? - Ive been looking for exactly that type ...  :icon_eek:

The Tone God

Quote from: nelson on April 21, 2006, 07:43:33 PM
My particular Ideas necessitated a step function for certain tuning needs.

I assume you have that covered already.

Yes I have that covered. There will be a short article covering the changes between v2.0 and v2.1 including a "mods" section that will discuss a couple of ways to do manual stepping depending on which version you have. Also how to add a speed LED and a few other things.

Ofcourse getting rid of the second optocoupler and making the circuit more concrete is a plus. Although the pot used to tweak the random optocoupler would make a nice "level of Randomness" pot if panel mounted and used correctly.

I think alot of people were truned off by the lack specific values due to the tweaking requirements of the random circuit. I got alot of inquries about optos and the like. The values I have now seem to work fairly well over a large voltage range. v2.1 still uses alot of the same principals as v2.0 so there will still be the abilty to add pots like you are speaking of.

Andrew

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on April 21, 2006, 08:01:26 PM
My particular Ideas necessitated a step function for certain tuning needs.

I assume you have that covered already.

Yes I have that covered. There will be a short article covering the changes between v2.0 and v2.1 including a "mods" section that will discuss a couple of ways to do manual stepping depending on which version you have. Also how to add a speed LED and a few other things.

Ofcourse getting rid of the second optocoupler and making the circuit more concrete is a plus. Although the pot used to tweak the random optocoupler would make a nice "level of Randomness" pot if panel mounted and used correctly.

I think alot of people were truned off by the lack specific values due to the tweaking requirements of the random circuit. I got alot of inquries about optos and the like. The values I have now seem to work fairly well over a large voltage range. v2.1 still uses alot of the same principals as v2.0 so there will still be the abilty to add pots like you are speaking of.

Andrew

I am glad you are making the circuit more concrete. Although compared to other sequencer circuits available, both current VP's involve far less theory..

I would be happy to make and release a PCB layout for V2.1 and a few simple circuits for it to control. If only to make the project as accessable as possible.

An envelope controlled speed plus an external trigger for the sequencer would be worthwhile mods imo.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

no one ever

Quote from: nelson on April 21, 2006, 08:32:40 PM

I am glad you are making the circuit more concrete. Although compared to other sequencer circuits available, both current VP's involve far less theory..

I would be happy to make and release a PCB layout for V2.1 and a few simple circuits for it to control. If only to make the project as accessable as possible.

An envelope controlled speed plus an external trigger for the sequencer ((cough)step(cough)) would be worthwhile mods imo.

:icon_biggrin: bravo!

(chk chk chk)

NoFi

Mmm, it looks like i'll have to use a 1590DD this time lol.

I just realized i had a nice 0,1 - 4,8V voltage at the resistor (to ground) after the led of the opto. 1k on the schemo but mine is 220 ohms.
Too bad i dont have devices that take CV's to try that.

No One Ever > i used ExpressPCB LOL

The Tone God

I don't have a problem doing a PCB as it would be a simple minor rework of the current v2.0 but from the build reports that I have gotten not many people seem to have used the PCB I did. Most do something themselves like a perf board version so you may not want to spend the time on it. I don't have a problem with other people doing their own layouts and/or offering them.

I do think having some circuits that are ready to be interfaced to would be helpful as people could then plug in what they want. You do have to be aware that after going through the work people may not use them as they don't want the version of the particular effect you choose. I went through that with v1.0 when I included the wha section. Many people complained about it so when I did v2.0 I left the audio out and let the builder deal with it.

An envelope controlled speed plus an external trigger for the sequencer would be worthwhile mods imo.

I don't play with those things often so I don't think I'm the best person to do that. The ability to easily modifiy the circuit is there so once again I'll leave it up to others.

Andrew

nelson

Quote from: The Tone God on April 21, 2006, 10:41:15 PM

I don't have a problem doing a PCB as it would be a simple minor rework of the current v2.0 but from the build reports that I have gotten not many people seem to have used the PCB I did. Most do something themselves like a perf board version so you may not want to spend the time on it. I don't have a problem with other people doing their own layouts and/or offering them.

I do think having some circuits that are ready to be interfaced to would be helpful as people could then plug in what they want. You do have to be aware that after going through the work people may not use them as they don't want the version of the particular effect you choose. I went through that with v1.0 when I included the wha section. Many people complained about it so when I did v2.0 I left the audio out and let the builder deal with it.

I don't play with those things often so I don't think I'm the best person to do that. The ability to easily modifiy the circuit is there so once again I'll leave it up to others.

Andrew

Sage advice.

I wasnt hinting you should do the mods. I was thinking of doing them myself.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

brad

Quote from: no one ever on April 17, 2006, 12:17:20 AM
what happened to the picture!!  ???

lol..GOOD POINT  :D  I can't even remember what I did!

no one ever

Quote from: brad on April 22, 2006, 12:43:24 AM
lol..GOOD POINT  :D  I can't even remember what I did!

:icon_eek: eek.

NoFi: ExpressPCB... ugh. alright.

(chk chk chk)

brad

I was up to my ears in sequencers back then, so it's all a bit of a blur  :P

However, these days, I'd recommend the sequencer from the Kaustic Machines website:
http://compiler.kaustic.net/machines/vanishing-moon.html

It's pretty gosh darned simple -just the way I like 'em!  I'd be inclined to run sequencer based effects from a wall wart with a regulated voltage, because as 9v batteries die, your clock speed and LED response will vary and screw up your favorite settings.

As much as I hate to admit it, I reckon sequencer based pedals need to be slaved to external clocks or in order to be REALLY useful.  With conventional sequencers, the rest of the band need to sync with your clock speed to pull off the effect...whereas being able to slave the pedal to an external clock would mean you could come in at any point in a song and be perfectly in time with the drummer's click, keyboardist's sequence, the stage's lightshow...the pyro display...whatever.  Anyone know DIY midi?  ;D

Actually, it probably wouldn't be that hard to add midi control with a PIC.  But I digress.

NoFi

Spudulike, sorry i missed your post, the blue pots are bourns. They are ok for now but i don't know how they will do in the long run. The knobs for those small shafts are expensive.
Alpha RD901 would have been better but they didn't have all the values i needed.

Here are some projects that could probably be used to sync the Vp to midi clocks.
http://www.blacet.com/MSdata.html
http://m.bareille.free.fr/mc628/mc628.html

The Tone God

Quote from: no one ever on April 23, 2006, 09:37:02 PM
Anybody think there's a way to use a spare gate on a 40106 to drive a metronome circuit? Would be GREAT for drummers....

Drummers and metronomes ? Bwahahahahaha. The only way to get those two things in time with each other is to shoot one of them. :icon_lol:

Just a quick update on v2.1 progress. I took alittle bit extra time to add one more feature. The down side is that it will not be possible to implement all the new features on v2.0 without needing an extra pole on the switch thus it will not be easy to upgrade v2.0. I think I will scratch trying to produce a upgrade schematic and just post v2.1 letting people figure out an upgrade path for themselves.

v2.1 will focus still on the 4093. I am starting to get confidant that v2.1 maybe be the final version. I think I have squashed just about every bug there is with v2.0.

Andrew

swt

The Tone God

Quote from: swt on April 25, 2006, 12:43:00 PM
can't wait to see that! :icon_mrgreen:

I guess I should give another update then. I spent a little time later that night and solved the switch pole problem and actually reduced the switch pole requirment. Also the circuit is no longer gate dependant. Almost all the changes are off board so all v2.0 circuits can now be upgraded to v2.1 including all the new features with alittle work and hacking.

I have resolved all the outstand issues I had with v2.0 so I think this is a pretty complete circuit. I'm really quite happy with it. With all the changes the upgrade article has turned into a full blown article. I should have it up soon.

Andrew

no one ever

Quote from: The Tone God on April 25, 2006, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: swt on April 25, 2006, 12:43:00 PM
can't wait to see that! :icon_mrgreen:

I guess I should give another update then. I spent a little time later that night and solved the switch pole problem and actually reduced the switch pole requirment. Also the circuit is no longer gate dependant. Almost all the changes are off board so all v2.0 circuits can now be upgraded to v2.1 including all the new features with alittle work and hacking.

I have resolved all the outstand issues I had with v2.0 so I think this is a pretty complete circuit. I'm really quite happy with it. With all the changes the upgrade article has turned into a full blown article. I should have it up soon.

Andrew

:icon_surprised:  :icon_mrgreen: awesomeness. flippin sweet.
(chk chk chk)

rhys

I would be happy to make and release a PCB layout for V2.1 and a few simple circuits for it to control. If only to make the project as accessible as possible.

FWIW, having a PCB layout may determine whether I build this thing or not.  I've drawn (but not yet used) one very simple layout, and looking at the schem. for the VP2.1, I'm not sure if I could pull off a layout for this successfully.  I'm probably in the minority, however; I guess most guys who would build this circuit are savvy enough to do their own layout. 

no one ever

Quote from: rhys on May 04, 2006, 09:15:07 AM

FWIW, having a PCB layout may determine whether I build this thing or not.  I've drawn (but not yet used) one very simple layout, and looking at the schem. for the VP2.1, I'm not sure if I could pull off a layout for this successfully.  I'm probably in the minority, however; I guess most guys who would build this circuit are savvy enough to do their own layout. 

wellllll it is called do-it-yourself....  :icon_biggrin:

gotta start somewhere
(chk chk chk)

rhys

Quote from: no one ever on May 04, 2006, 10:14:55 AM

wellllll it is called do-it-yourself....  :icon_biggrin:

gotta start somewhere

point taken.  but i am starting somewhere.  someday i hope to be able to design my own circuits (perhaps even a sequencer) from the ground up.  that's diy in its purest form i guess.  :icon_cool: until i'm able to do that, my starting point is with the circuits other folks have designed.    ::)  someone mentioned above they'd be willing provide a PCB layout to make the project more assessible, and the tone god responded that most people do their own (which i'm sure is true).  the squeeky wheel gets the oil, so i thought i'd pipe up and say that even this novice would attempt the VP2.1 if a layout were available. 

The Tone God

The v2.0 PCB can be upgraded to v2.1 with a little work. The only on board changes need are hacking in the transistor to replace the optocoupler (which is the biggest job), running a line from the pulse detector's input, and a few part value changes. Most of the other changes can be made through the off board wiring so there will be some P2P work.

It could be perf'd pretty quickly as well.

Andrew

no one ever

Quote from: rhys on May 04, 2006, 10:47:17 AM

point taken.  but i am starting somewhere.  someday i hope to be able to design my own circuits (perhaps even a sequencer) from the ground up.  that's diy in its purest form i guess.  :icon_cool: until i'm able to do that, my starting point is with the circuits other folks have designed.    ::)  someone mentioned above they'd be willing provide a PCB layout to make the project more assessible, and the tone god responded that most people do their own (which i'm sure is true).  the squeeky wheel gets the oil, so i thought i'd pipe up and say that even this novice would attempt the VP2.1 if a layout were available. 

i didn't mean to chastise you, but point taken.
(chk chk chk)