Most "Classical" Chorus pedal ?

Started by Gil, April 04, 2005, 05:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil

in your opinion... CE-1 ? CE-2 ? Small Clone ? any other ?

hilbi

ibanez cs9, i like that a lot better the a ce-2. Never compared it against a ce-1.
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

MartyMart

If you can find a nice CE-1 that's a wonderful sound.......  :D
I use a Ross chorus, which i prefer to the Boss CE-2, the Ibanez BC-9
"Bi-Chorus" is very rich, its two independant circuits, with rate/depth for
both !!

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

NaBo

Classic?  Small Clone!  But I'm biased.  (don't call me a tranny.  hahah, im funny!)

And, well, you guys are gonna hate me, but I love the chorus possibilities in Cool Edit Pro 2.0.  Mainly for vocals though.   Mmm-mm-mm.  It actually allows me to tolerate the sound of my own recorded voice.  It proves that a little modulation is all you need to be a superstar nowadays :P

MartyMart

Quote from: NaBoClassic?  Small Clone!  But I'm biased.  (don't call me a tranny.  hahah, im funny!)

And, well, you guys are gonna hate me, but I love the chorus possibilities in Cool Edit Pro 2.0.  Mainly for vocals though.   Mmm-mm-mm.  It actually allows me to tolerate the sound of my own recorded voice.  It proves that a little modulation is all you need to be a superstar nowadays :P

NOW you're talkin'  :D
The modulation plugins within Logic Pro are FAB on guitar.
Chorus/Phaser/stereo spreader/tape delay etc..... LOVE 'em  :wink:

EDIT: And you can change the settings at any time, before a mix !!
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

dpresley58

Does anyone know of a clean schem for the CE-1? The one I have looks like it has Xerox rash...
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

nelson

Quote from: dpresley58Does anyone know of a clean schem for the CE-1? The one I have looks like it has Xerox rash...

Here you go, googled and got this.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/bossce1.html
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

dave h.

ive got a boss ce-3 and it makes everything sound like the intro to paradise city, just add cheesy keyboard and top hat.

the best chorus sounds ive heard are the subtle ones found all across blood sugar sex magik. STP has some good ones. im almost positive theyre both ce-1s.most of the choruses ive played are way too over the top for me. im all about the subtlety. too much chorus is second only to too much flange in the "cheesiest sounding effect of the ever."

while not analog, i have an ADA s-1000 and i never tire of any of its crazy choruses, flanges, doublings, delays, vibratos, phase-cancellations, creepy-noise-gated oscillation, etc.

theplastictoy

I've tried a couple of them, and my favourite is now the stereo memory man. put it in chorus mode and it's incredible. For warmer sounds, my fav is still the small clone.

cheers,
ricardo

Ed G.

I love my small clone, made from the layout at tonepad. I used a 100pf for the cap on the clock chip and I prefer it to the 150pf if you want a subtler, less detuned sound. It definitely has that 'classic' early 80's chorus sound, like old Pretenders stuff.

DiyFreaque

My vote is partially for the Dimensions, either C (Boss) or D (Roland). I say partially, because the effect truly is more of a 'Dimension' than that of classic chorusing.  So much so, all of these suggestions make me want to go back and try a more standard chorus device as well.  I like the chorus on my DW6000, and it actually goes quite well when put through the C.

In it's native form, the four modes of the C go from very subtle to expansive.  It seems add to a lot of 'atmosphere', with little coloration of the original sound, which to me is still amazing.   I've modified it so that it can totally twist the sound, but I still love the original operation as well.  It's one of those rare effects you can forget is on, until you bypass it (and you usually want to put it back in as soon as you realize what it's doing for you).

Take care,
Scott

MartyMart

Quote from: Ed G.I love my small clone, made from the layout at tonepad. I used a 100pf for the cap on the clock chip and I prefer it to the 150pf if you want a subtler, less detuned sound. It definitely has that 'classic' early 80's chorus sound, like old Pretenders stuff.

Now they/Police definately used a CE-1......... :D

Marty.

Ed G.

I know Andy Summers used a CE-1, but James Honeyman-Scott used a Clone Theory chorus into a Marshall.

Doug_H

I like my Arion chorus, esp for fast speed leslie/vibrato sounds. It's really great for that and sounds good on slow speeds too. Don't know how "classic" it is, but it sounds good.

Get it while its hot, only 29.99 :D :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/150501/

Doug

Ed G.

I just heard the greatest example of 80's chorus tone..."Big Log" by Robert Plants. That tone just shimmers

Mark Hammer

A great many of the best 1st and 2nd generation chorus sounds actually came from the assorted multi-phase units found in string synthesizers and some polyphonic synths during the 70's and early 80's.  These used several nonsynchronized BBDs at the same time.  The DIM-C (which sounds great) adopted (and adapted) a similar approach, except that its two BBDs are synced to the same LFO but sweeping in opposite directions.  A great many of these classic tones are demoed quite nicely at modezero.com (and no, please do not attempt to contact the webmaster).

In general, the best chorus sounds are those which attempt to minimize audible "wobble".  Certainly, pitch wobble becomes less of a problem the shorter the delay range used (as Ed G correctly notes), although I've found that the chorus sounds obtainable from my old blue MXR Digital Delay at even delay times bordering on slapback echo could be pretty decent and thick in that Pat Metheny way, primarily because of the degree to which that particular unit sucked for sweeps.  What made it an absolutely abysmal flanger (a mere 4:1 sweep of delay time), made it a breeze to dial in a modulation of delay that was subtle enough to produce excellent chorus.

Another thing that, to my mind, enables choruses to sound pleasingly thick without too much wobble, is cutting the bass in the wet path.  If you stick a small value cap somewhere prior to the mixing point that can have the effect of attenuating content below about, say 600hz, you get to keep the animation it provides but lose much of the wobble.  Softens the impact in a very pleasing way.  Highly recommended for bass players who wish to use a chorus but can't put up with the detuning it provides (basses need to be rock solid in their pitch/intonation).

The CE-1 was likely the first stompbox chorus.  Though to my ears it sounds "good enough", I don't find anything particularly distinguishing about it other than its performance features.  It strikes me that it was among a number of devices (e.g., original Univibe) intended to mimic the speed-up/slow-down of a Leslie without all the heavy lifting.  It doesn't have the gradual change in speed that some later devices do, but the use of separate speed controls seems to clearly anticipate this sort of use.

Fret Wire

Quote from: Doug_HI like my Arion chorus, esp for fast speed leslie/vibrato sounds. It's really great for that and sounds good on slow speeds too. Don't know how "classic" it is, but it sounds good.
Get it while its hot, only 29.99 :D :
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/150501/
Doug

Doug, do you have the older SCH-1? The chorus Arion makes now is called the SCH-Z, and supposedly doesn't sound near as nice.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Doug_H

Quote from: Fret Wire
Doug, do you have the older SCH-1? The chorus Arion makes now is called the SCH-Z, and supposedly doesn't sound near as nice.

Yes, I have the SCH-1. But I don't know if I believe the mojo about it, as compared to the SCH-Z. The sound clips of the SCH-Z sound pretty similar to me (as much as you can tell from a sound clip, YMMV, etc...).

Doug

dpresley58

Quote from: nelson
Quote from: dpresley58Does anyone know of a clean schem for the CE-1? The one I have looks like it has Xerox rash...

Here you go, googled and got this.
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/bossce1.html

Dammitol...  :oops:
I've visited that site a -number- of times and just clean forgot about it...
Thanks, Nelson...
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.