ABout OCD's and all other "new stuff"...

Started by Steben, June 09, 2005, 01:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Hey guys!

What I'm thinking right here is that the energy that's being put into searches for the holy grail behind commercial boxes should be put in either building 20 Rats, Tube screamers and fuzz faces and tweak and mod until you find a nice sound, or in letting others do it. That's the way all mini-boosters and OCD's started anyway.

The BSIAB II started with the minibooster and the minibooster started with the mu-amp, which is a rather well-spread electronic piece of knowledge. The fuzz face started with a high-gain circuit (actually exact copy). And that's only two examples of astonishing sounding circuits...

I HAVE sold some pedals, but only because I was prepared to build them instead of others. And all were no secrets, since I've spread each schematic.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Brian Marshall

I totally agree.  I saw the "other" ocd thread, and I feel like i am stuck in the middle of something here.  I make stompboxes for a living now, and havent had much time to spend here lately.  I have posted many schematics in the past, but of late have had little time to actually draw them up on my computer.

The idea of starting out with a building block is great, especially when you consider how many dirt boxes have similar parts in them... I think all the boss, ibanez, and DOD overdrives have opamps and diodes in them.... maybe the tone contorl is passive... maybe active, but it doesnt matter... you could.

When i first designed the stupid box a couple years ago, i took just the clipping section of a tubescreamer, and followed it with a passive tone control... I then changed a bunch of stuff, and messed arround with the tone control a little, and found something that i really liked.

Building this way isnt very hard, and you can end up with something very different than the original.

I often try to include something original in a design, but sometimes a proven method isnt always best.  I have been working on a phaser that uses transistors as amplifiers, and jfets in series as variable resistors.  Its not going very well... and is really really hard to bias...  Im not sure originality is suiting me here, but im not giving up on it.

aron

barret77

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

kusi

knows anybody, howmuch schematics there are? i saved 14 now... 8)

greetings kusi

spudulike

Quote from: kusi on June 10, 2005, 11:17:51 AM
knows anybody, howmuch schematics there are? i saved 14 now... 8)

greetings kusi

OCD schems ?

donald stringer

Hey aron, do those circuits really work that the dist. maker creates  and is that your own brainchild ?
troublerat