Tweak Fuzz Revisited

Started by brian wenz, July 03, 2005, 02:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    I posted awhile back about the Tweak Fuzz but here goes again.....
Anybody seen / or/ have a schematic for this thing??   I'm pretty sure it's some kind of  Fuzz Face re-do.  
Brian.

spudulike

http://www.bluessaraceno.com/germanium.html

Right at the bottom of the page Alex states
QuoteThe "Afro Fuzz" and the "Tweak Fuzz" are of the same design. The "Afro Fuzz" is hand wired and uses both a Silicon transistor and a Germanium transistor and are costly. The "Tweak Fuzz" uses 2 Silicon transistors and is only a fraction of the cost. The pedals were identically tuned and the "Tweak Fuzz" was created for a more cost conscious player thanx to the magic of mass production.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
      Yeah, I read that about a month ago....I'm interested in finding a schematic!
B.

spudulike

Probably been discussed before but it may be a variation on Arons Hornet.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/hornet.jpg

I built one with an OC140 for the NPN Ge (hfe 90) and it sounded great with a 2N5088 but a lot tamer with other Si NPNs (BC549 sounded cool). Added some switched caps from the Rangemaster threads ... maybe time to dig it out and compare ...

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Yeah, I thought the Afro Fuzz was either a Hornet  type or a Joe Gagan Easy Face type of circuit [depending where they put the germ....] but the Tweak is all silicon.  Wonder if it's got an input cap select switch??
Brian.

BD13UK

It's really a guess Brian but as it's a Si Fuzz I fancy the rotary switch is a cap selector to allow certain frequences through according to selection, I also assume that it's like the Duncan booster pedal and built with those micro resistors that You can hardly even see never mind read values !!!!!!
Brian

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
      Yeah,  the Duncan Booster  is something else I haven't seen the inside of either........
Brian.

wampcat1

Quote from: brian wenzHello Hello--
    Yeah, I thought the Afro Fuzz was either a Hornet  type or a Joe Gagan Easy Face type of circuit [depending where they put the germ....] but the Tweak is all silicon.  Wonder if it's got an input cap select switch??
Brian.

Here are some pics for ya...at first glance, it looks very (eerily) similar to an easyface.

http://www.guitareffectsonline.com/diy/tweakfuzz.zip

Gus

looks like a FF type
R4 470ohm
R5 8.2K 2nd collector Rs?

R2 100 OHMS!  I wonder were that came from! first emitter R like my stuff?
R3 22K first collector R?

R1 6.8K

R7 2.2meg pulldown?

R6 100k feedback not even a 47K? with a Si FF?

gain pot cap the standard 22uf I am guessing

C2 input cap? if that is 105 it is a 1uf if it is 103 .01uf hard to read.

SMD transistors like that I would guess Hfe of about 500 there is a page on the web for reading the codes need to find it again.

I don't feel like tracing it but I would guess the switch board resistors are anti pop for a break before make switch.

I would like to see the SD booster insides.

Bernardduur

I've traced the circuit. Any wanters?
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Yun

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Bernardduur

Will do it tomorrow.... need some sleep now

Yun

Quote from: Bernardduur on September 29, 2005, 07:16:06 PM
Will do it tomorrow.... need some sleep now

No worries, man.  i wish i could sleep more often, but my medicine just is a constant draw-back.  Well, now i'm rambling....

Sleep well, man- and sweet dreams....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

petemoore

I'm getting to ready to do up another booster and wouldn't 'mind to take a look also  ;)
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mann

Bernardduur

Here it is:

C1 - C6 and R1 - R6 next to input are on the switchboard;
R1 = 6.8k (resistor for LED);

Am not sure about C1;

There is no input pull-down resistor.

Yun

Far out, Mr.Burn!!!!  Thanks a bunch, man  :icon_biggrin:

chrishopkins

Hmmmmm a Fuzz Face with switchable input caps.

Damn that is such a breakthrough in fx design - no wonder session cats were paying $$$ for them

:icon_lol:

Not quite as good as the MESA switchable rectifier patent but getting there

:icon_lol:

Bernardduur

Anyone know a way to add a Ge PNP transistor to this? I have one left over and I would like to put it as the first transistor.....

I don't know how.

WGTP

If your going to do that, you might as well make C5 switchable too.   :icon_cool:

Remember Joe Gagans Easy Face with the variable input cap pot?  Fewer parts and infinitely variable. 8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames