Help Wanted on a Fuzz Tone related problem

Started by Harry, July 15, 2005, 04:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Hello. I recentley tried building a fuzz-tone and nothing came out of the damn thing. I'm guessing that this has something to do with the transistors. the schematic calls for 2n2614/2n2613 pnp germanium, i know practically nothing about transistors and used basically random transistors for it. Don't really know what went wrong so I would appreciate any help, such as a good substitute transistor, or something else.

aron

Quotei know practically nothing about transistors and used basically random transistors for it

Well, think about what you just said. You used random transistors and expect it to work?

Go to your local electronics store and take the two numbers:

2n2614/2n2613 pnp germanium

and ask them for substitutes for your pedal. That's what I did as a start.

Good luck!

petemoore

Find the NTE cross reference guide, this will tell you what type of transistor they are [probably]. The first two paragraphs probably say most all of what you need to know about the transistor type.
 Every NTE transistor substitute I've tried worked, but they are rather expensive, and Ge's...there are better sources.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

True Pete,

In this case, he might as well establish a relationship with his local dealer. FUN and they can be quite helpful. You are right, it's probably NTE, but it works.

Harry

I didn't expect it to work i hoped it would. Could I use silicon transistors of the same gain, or something like that? What's the NTE cross reference, something the electronic store would have? Thanks for the responces, that was quick.

petemoore

I'm guessing you're building something like a FF or Tonebender.
 For that I'd recommend you get tested, gain matched Ge transistors from Small Bear Electronics, with the bias values for resistors in the circuit.
 Otherwise build a Transistor tester for FF transistors that measures leakage and gain.
 Or just buy a bunch and read all about FF's...
 Converting a PNP Pos gnd to a Neg Gnd circuit for NPN transistors is not too hard, invert the power supply connections and the electrolytic capacitor connections [polarized caps], also a reverse polarity diode connections [if used], if you socketted the transistors [I always to on FF's] just change them.
 But...I'd build the Axis Face and use the recommended transistors...these are much less trouble to get and get to hold bias than the Ge's are. My Faces are only slighty different than the Axis Face [except my Ge Pos Gnd FF...which ... still needs messin' with I think..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.