Any new ideas on adapting SOIC ICs to DIP

Started by StephenGiles, July 15, 2005, 05:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I ask the question as I have a few of these otherwise gathering dust.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

The Tone God

There are adpater boards that will convert SOIC to DIP but the boards are expensive. They would cost more then the parts themselves unless you want to go ahead and make your own but then how much is your time worth ?

Andrew

cd

Quote from: The Tone GodThere are adpater boards that will convert SOIC to DIP but the boards are expensive. They would cost more then the parts themselves unless you want to go ahead and make your own but then how much is your time worth ?

Yup, these:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/index.asp

You can also get SMD prototyping boards and run flying leads to another board.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you only have a couple, then just cut up some old computer or walkman boards, cook off the SMT componentd already there, & use that as a rough protoboard, running wires off.
On the other hand, I think that at least there are some cheaper converters appearing. If anyone sees any for less than $1, please let me know.
Really, it is only woth dicking around with this shit when the chip doesn't exist in DIP. Which tragically is increasingly the case :x  :x  :cry:

toneman

thoughts thunk while thinkin'........
U know,
If there was enough interest,
someone could do a layout with PCBexpress & mayB get about 15 to 20
surfacemnts per pcb(mayB more).  U can get 3  DoubleSided  pcbs for $53.
What size would U want 16pin & 8pin??
U'd have 2 allow room 2 cut them apart...
adaption-is-fewtile
change-is-inevetiable
:)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

StephenGiles

I was really thinking more on the lines of a diy adapter for veroboard. It seems that pins 1 & 3 are the same distance apart as pins 1 & 2 on a DIP, so perhaps there's some mileage in that. One could rearrange the pin connections arround the SOIC so that its pins actually connect in the normal DIP fashion.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Maneco

Hi Stephen!
My method for prototyping with these is to bent alternate pins up (usually even numbered,2,4,6) and solder the others to a normal dip veroboard,then just run wires from the bent up pins...i do it all the time ... with ssop,i bent alternate pins,but i have to run wires from each pins,i use two colors of wire wrap to identify even and odds,then some hot glue helps keeping the wires in place...for this later,an small soldering tips and magnifying glasses help a lot...

best!

Maneco

StephenGiles

Hi Maneco, thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

We went to the Anglo Argentine Society Asado last Sunday, just west of London, with 500 other people! There was real Argentine carne, wine, choripan and also 30C!! We bought some dulce de leche and 2 cases of Argentine wine.
Stephen

12afael

the last summer I went to bariloche. to a birthday party of a friend .
10 lamb to the wood , a lot of wine , and pisco sour on a small concrete mixer.

beatifull womens and landscapes, very good chocolate too. I just probe the best hot chocolate on the world (villa suiza). I try to find some ca3080 without luck hehe.

but I think the drink are not so good .
chilean wine is a little better.

I´m playing with a PCM2902 ssoic I will do the board and solder directly . I saw a metod to solder . first put some solder on the board , put the IC over it , put a lot of solder on the pins , re hot the solder and with a solder remover suck the exesive solder.

I don´t know if I use the "solder" word well here...

StephenGiles

12afael - do you know that some wine from Mendoza is sold to Chile and then bottled as wine from Chile???
Stephen

Maneco

Wow! i love asado from uruguay,but argentinian meat is better!

moeburn

http://thedatastream.4hv.org/so8todip.html

Although the website isn't working anymore, it provides a guide to convert so-8 (soic) to DIP using a 4x4 piece of stripboard.  

You essentially cut the tracks lengthwise until there are four half-size tracks, then seperate that into 8 halfsize tracks, and the soic chip fits on it. You solder that down, then get a DIP socket, stick wires in all the socket holes, and put those wires in the stripboard holes, and solder those wires to the soic pins.

12afael

Quote12afael - do you know that some wine from Mendoza is sold to Chile and then bottled as wine from Chile???
Stephen

I think this is not possible. here we have a lot of good wines. I can´t find a good reason to do this.  maybe they can not sell his wine as argentinian or trying to desprestige the chilean wine.
Chile make an effort by many years to have a quality product. If you have proofs of this I can denounce it to the authorities.
I want to know where you get that information.

I think a good enologists could tell you if a wines is from chile or argentina
diferent kind of grape build a diferent wine .

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/regionalguides/southamerica.shtml
http://www.vinasdechile.com/ingles/vinos/Vino_Chileno/f_chileno.html

spudulike

Why is it that every post started by "StephenGiles"  descends into lounge fodder about any thing south american ?

Maneco

Because he's happily married to an Argentinian woman,which has led him to love things from around here :)