Boutique boost problems, part II

Started by Pine, July 26, 2005, 11:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine

I did have another question in the never-ending "boutique boost" saga;
The box seems to be draining the signal away instead of boosting it, I have to open the volume and gain pots all the way to get about 1/2 the volume I get when the amp is running without the box. I checked that my wires are connected to the correct components, I am not sure what to do next: could one of the components be bad? Why am I losing some of my signal?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/joam_lo_sm_b.gif

mojotron

What I would do, since it's a small build, is to check all of the conections from component lead to component lead with a multimeter from the component side of the board. They should all read less than 1 ohm. This way you check all of the solder joints.

The next thing I would do is to check the orientation of the FETs. Check that the drain, gate, and source are connected to the right components - again from the component side of the board.

Then, if it still does not work - and you should get a ton of gain - take voltage measurements off of the 3 FET leads and post them here. From the voltages on the FETs you can find most issues not related to solder joints.

Let us know how things turn out.  :D

petemoore

I'm having a Shaka Exp. saga of my own.
 I put it in OT because I didn't want to type the voltage measurements I'm getting.
 What I can't figure out is why the signal gets lost across the second opamps output cap, because the opamps voltage/bias readings [on both sides, V+, gnd] are all spot on. So I'm going to replace that cap. I'll keep you posted.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.