Boss DS1 Problem Pls. Help

Started by dean russell, August 07, 2005, 12:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean russell

I used to have this unit w/ the problem of delayed activation of distortion when switched on, just replaced the electrolitic capacitors and worked (forget w/c capacitor) but then i sold it. Now i purchased another DS1 and the same problem occurs, did the same thing i did before but when the unit is on DIST mode for about 5 mins. when switched to clean mode the sound fades in slowly but with a slight distortion until about 10 secs. till the clean sound appears. please help me here i'm going insane. its a Taiwan made by the way.

thanks...

wampcat1

I had this EXACT same problem several years ago -- IIRC it was a transistor problem. It was actually cheaper and easier for me to use the board for parts that to sit over it for several hours trying to fix it! :)

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks,
Brian

dean russell

thanks man! how many transistors did you replace?

wui223

What transistors u used to replace the stock trannies? I have serious problem on my modded DS-1. Too much noise and hiss. Gotta be killing

wampcat1

Quote from: dean russellthanks man! how many transistors did you replace?

I ended up not doing it -- I just threw it aside...  :oops:

Thanks,
Brian

dean russell

changed all transistors still not fix'd. HELP anybody... :(

dean russell

it seems its on C9 cause when i change its value the time lapse of the dist varies. its a non polarized .47micro farad cap and i cant find one.

nelson

could be a possible mod here...might be nice for the DS-1 to fade in dist rather than kick straight in....... :idea:

feel like I have just invented polythene........ :wink:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

dean russell

i doubt you'll like the sound, it's like a decaying sound from clean to dist mode and vice versa. Please need help...

thanks

britt-stinker

I'm sorry I can't help you. But I have some questions about the ds-1 if someone could help me with this.

On the layout from tonepads site there is the big square with seven solder traces(?) inside. As far as I can read from the page these are to be used for the opamp. I'm not very good at reading schematics so I'm not sure how to build the opamp section. Can anybody help with this?

Another question - where should the rest of the seven trace go? the opamp only uses four as far I can see.

Also I'm planning on building an LBD 1 or 2 to togheter with this pedal boost the volume, since the one I had some time ago had a volume drop.
But how should I wire all the offboard connections since it doesn't have a fotswitch and input or output, and can it share the same dc jack as the boss ds 1 at the same time? (they are being bulid in one box)

The last question - I'm building it with the TL072. Should the places where it says empty actually be empty or does they mean a jumper?

Thanks for all your help.

dean russell

hope somebody here help me out

dean russell

could it be the IC? what do you think? cant find it here in our place, could there be a replacement on this chip on DS1?