Any DIY mods for Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal?

Started by Burstbucker, August 14, 2005, 01:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

Does anybody have any info on DIY mods for the Boss Metal Zone pedal?

Paul Marossy

Yeah, there have been some discussions about mods to the Metal Zone. Try doing a search, you should have more than a few things come up.  8)

jimbob

Only one ive heard about is by wampcat..He's put a lot of ttime and energy into his -so it might be worth paying a few dollars to get it. I kno wI dont have the patience to find the littlte bits and pieces out there out it. OR send it to Analog man. Hes a pro as well.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Paul Marossy

I believe there's a Keeley mod, too. There are more posts here about Metal Zone mods, I have read a lot of them, but I'm happy with mine so I didn't pay too much attention other than just curiousity...

Guga Ramone

Hi!! I've made this mod based on some advices given by Brian from www.indyguitarrist.com here in the forum. These is what I've done to my MT-2:

Remove D3 and D4 and install a RED LED and an 1n34A (germanium diode);

Add a 47nF In parallell with these diodes;

Remove C24 e C35. Don put anything in their places, just leave open.

Do it and please, give me some feedback about it!

Good luck!!

Guga Ramone

And remember to try different types of diodes!! They make a lot of difference in the sound!!

Burstbucker

Gaga Ramone,
Thanks for that info!

I'm a little short on time at the moment but when I get a chance I'll try out those mods and I'll post a follow-up here.  Thanks again!
8^)

Ripper

I've done some of the indyguitarist mods to my MT-2 and they are excellent.  They take a great pedal and really smooth out the rough edges.
They are well worth the $$ to do it.

jimbob

Ripper- what is the cost? Im seriously thinking about it. My question to Indyguitarist- is- How do you come up with these mods? Seems as though it would take A LOT of time comparing , experimenting ect.... to come up w something better than before...
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

wampcat1

Quote from: jimbobRipper- what is the cost? Im seriously thinking about it. My question to Indyguitarist- is- How do you come up with these mods? Seems as though it would take A LOT of time comparing , experimenting ect.... to come up w something better than before...

LOTS AND LOTS of late nights!!!  :D
Actually, I usually take about 1 weekend a month and try out different mods on a couple of pedals -- also many of the common mass manufactured pedals are using circuits that have been around for a while (tubescreamers/ross clones/dist +/fuzzface/etc) so once you figure out the circuit the mods are easy to come up with. The MT-2 was a 'happy accident' -- I figured out that those two caps were the culprit on that danged nasally sound, and just wondered what it would sound like without the caps in there....MUCH better! :)

Of course, this is my day job AND my hobby, so there is quite a bit of emphasis on coming up with new mods and mods for pedals that no one else is doing.

Hope that helps! :)

Brian

Ripper

I bought the whole mod pack when Brian had a sale on $25 (cost me $40 canadian), but it has been worth it.  The MT-2 mods have been great, the MD-2 mod was a great one (I actually use it more now than the MT-2), the OS-2 really opened that pedal up to be useable.  I've played around with a few of them and I don't always do the complete mod, as I find sometimes as I make one change, it suits my tone tastes.  They are great mods and kudos to Brian.

Burstbucker

I read here that C24 and C35 should be removed but I read on another site that C25 and C35 should be removed, which is correct?

I don't have a schematic that has the capacitors identified so I'm having a hard time getting a grasp for what I'm doing here.

I also read that C34 should be replaced with a .047uF cap, then replace R25 with a 350K resistor and finally, replace C42 with a 0.1uF cap.  Any ideas on what exactly these changes would offer?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
8^)

wampcat1

Quote from: BurstbuckerI read here that C24 and C35 should be removed but I read on another site that C25 and C35 should be removed, which is correct?

I don't have a schematic that has the capacitors identified so I'm having a hard time getting a grasp for what I'm doing here.

I also read that C34 should be replaced with a .047uF cap, then replace R25 with a 350K resistor and finally, replace C42 with a 0.1uF cap.  Any ideas on what exactly these changes would offer?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
8^)

That is part of my "diezel-bogner" mod (I REALLY need to change the name of that!). Remove c25 and c35, c34: .047uf.

Less nasally mids (no more '%^&*ed wah' tone).

Also, throw an led in place of one of the clipping diodes.

Take care,
Brian

Burstbucker

Hey Brian,
Thanks for taking the time to share that info, that's a great help!

Thank you.