Parallel floppable wing-dinger effects loop

Started by smallstonefan, August 16, 2005, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallstonefan

Hi all,

I would like to build a special bypass box but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I've built plent of standard bypass, AB, and ABY boxes, but the circuit for this one is eluding me.

Essentially, I have an ABY box that sends the guitar signal to two amps. I have a looper that I would like to be able to move between the two amps. So the box would have two ins and two outs. One pair of ins/outs would be the A amp and the other would be the B amp. I would like an affects loop on the box, with the ability to move the effects loop between A and B. That way, I can send the loop to the amp of my choice, switch to the other amp with the ABY box and play on the other amp while the loop continues to play.

I would appreciate any advice you would have on this. I'm thinking I'll need to build a circuit perhaps with relays (I want to avoid buffers as I love true bypass).
james
www.jamesfoxall.com

niftydog

seems a complex way of going about it. Do you really need the option of having the looper on either of the amps or could you live with it being on one amp permanantly?

Anywho, if you go down this path, you'll either need a 4PDT switch/relay or multiple smaller relays (2xDPDT & 2xDPST.)

ALL SWITCHES GANGED

AMP 1 SEND -o
              __--o- LOOPER INPUT
  AMP 2 SEND -o

AMP 1 RETURN -o
              __--o- LOOPER OUTPUT
AMP 2 RETURN -o

OPEN CIRCUIT -o
              __--o- AMP 1 RETURN
  AMP 1 SEND -o

AMP 2 SEND -o
              __--o- AMP 2 RETURN
OPEN CIRCUIT -o

The terminals marked "OPEN CIRCUIT" can be omitted (ie; use a DPST rather than the DPDT shown.)

Chances are you won't find a suitable 4PDT footswitch, so looks like relays are the way to go. You might just find a 4PDT relay, which would make the driving circuitry simpler. There's been a number of discussions here about relay driving, have a search around.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)