how should i make my first PC board?!

Started by nero1985, August 20, 2005, 06:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

ok, its my frist time, should i get the Radio Shack Kit? or theres any other KIT available? or how should i do it, and is there any page that gives info on how to etch and do all that stuff? thanks!

nero1985

by the way, i need to know wat kind of board i need and where to get it too cuz i really dont know that, thanks

nelson

there is a good guide on etching a PCB over at tonepad.com under photoessays.

Personally I use;

FR-4 epoxy glass copper blank
ferric chloride granules in solution as etchant
bath of boiling water with tub of etchant floating in it.
Press n Peel blue from smallbear
girlfriends iron.
12v cordless cheap B & Q drill with 0.8-1mm HSS drill bits from ebay.(going to buy drill press)

o and a kitchen scouring pad to clean the board and remove the pnp blue.

I have also documented etching a board for one of my projects in this thread

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=36254&highlight=clone+theory

Good Luck!
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nero1985

thanks! but where do u get all those parts?

nelson

Quote from: nelsonthere is a good guide on etching a PCB over at tonepad.com under photoessays.

Personally I use;

FR-4 epoxy glass copper blank I get it from rapidelectronics, however you can get it from smallbear
ferric chloride granules in solution as etchant I got mine from RSHelectronics.co.uk
bath of boiling water with tub of etchant floating in it. the tap and a kettle
Press n Peel blue from smallbear
girlfriends iron. Argos?
12v cordless cheap B & Q drill with 0.8-1mm HSS drill bits from ebay.(going to buy drill press)

o and a kitchen scouring pad to clean the board and remove the pnp blue.

I have also documented etching a board for one of my projects in this thread

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=36254&highlight=clone+theory

Good Luck!

I am in the UK, I am pretty sure you can get most of this stuff at smallbear. Havent heard good things about the radio shack kit.....
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

KORGULL

There is a place right near you that sells everything you need to make PCBs called Electronix Express //www.elexp.com. They have really cheap prices and fast shipping. You will probably get your order in a day or two.
Search the forum for more "how-to" info there are alot of good threads on making boards and some contain links to other tutorials.

Jason Stout

I don't know where you are in NYC but Small Bear Electronics is in Brooklyn.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html
Jason Stout

ninoman123

Radioshacks "Kit" is just a board, a marker, a tiny amount of etchant, some marker remover (acetone is my guess), and a bit which is too big.
Dont buy double sided board either, its a waste and takes longer. The marker method is good for smaller boards, but if you are doing anything complicated then go with transfers. Drill with 1/32" bit, and youre good.

Good luck

Hal

Mark Hammer

Buy yourself a cheap Tupperware-type resealable container with a lid.  Given the size of most boards you will be making from here, you won't need anything much bigger than 6" x 6".  You'll want the container to have at least about 1.5" of depth.

The etchant can be gotten at any Rat Shack, usually.  A small bottle can usually last you for a dozen decent etches of boards the size of what you can stuff in a 1590BB.

A box of baking soda should be handy to address spills and decontaminating the used etchant.  I recommend Arm and Hammer because there's just something about that name...... :lol:

Find a small gooseneck table/reading lamp with a functioning 25-40w bulb.

Plastic tweezers are helpful.

Toothpicks and fine steel wool.

Method

Drill a small hole (1/32") in each corner of the board.  I'll explain in a moment.

Buff the copper to a gleaming shine with the steel wool, making sure not to leave any "finger juice" on it.  

Iron on the transfer medium (PnP or photo paper), using dry heat, until the pattern starts to appear just ever so slightly raised.  When the entire pattern is visible, you're done.  Wait for it to cool, or help it cool...completely...and peel it off.  Make sure you are still keeping the board free of finger juice (nasty stuff, that).

Insert toothpicks into corner holes from copper side.  Clip/Break off toothpicks at even lengths so that the board resembles a small coffee table at a height similar to the depth of the etchant in the plastic container.

Place the board in the etchant, copper side down.  The etchant should juuuuuusssssst barely cover the top of the board.    Try to make sure you have no air bubbles trapped under the board.

Take your desk lamp and point the bulb at the back of the board so that it is gently warmed.

Find something to do for 15 minutes.

Take your plastic tweezers and lift the board up.

Show visible expressions of surprise and contentment.

Let the excess etchant drip back into the container and close container well so that all your interpersonal relationships are preserved.

Pull the toothpicks out, sprinkle some baking soda on the board to deactivate remaining etchant.

Rinse, drill, buff, tin, populate, debug, enjoy.

Pedal love

I make my boards from scratch. I do the whole taking the copper foil and attaching it to the board with epoxy. I don't recommend this route. You should start out with something from radio shack, or that type of kit.pl