Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: taang on August 22, 2011, 01:09:11 PM
Quote from: Güero on August 22, 2011, 10:33:19 AM
Quote from: Keppy on August 22, 2011, 01:37:50 AM
Huh. Those never seem to work for me. Either I get air bubbles, or the adhesive gets cloudy, or both. What's your secret?

Patience!
As Mike said, let the print dry. So is very important that the painting job is good enough, let's say....dry for 3 days.
When you don't get  finger prints in the surface it's ok to put the decal.

how do you get the edge of the decal not to show up, i can't seem to figure it out

Many thin coats of clear and wet sanding until everything is level.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

jameslost

First post from me here. Long time lurker though.
Heres my first pedal, SHO clone, colour went all cream after i baked the clear coat. Quite like the effect though. My mate paints them for me, but i smudged some parts of it with my fingers accidentally...

It did look like this:

Second one is a tubescreamer clone, the Nintendo Screamboy. Still havent got the clear coating down though yet.

Sirppi

Perrow

Quote from: theundeadelvis on August 22, 2011, 02:07:43 PM
That's the secret with most decals. If you want to hide the edges, cut right up against your image or border. That's how I do waterslides. I'll put a border all the way around, and then cut my decal out right along the border. Make them appear seamless.

I've never used waterslides (or most other methods) but it feels like waterslide edges could be sanded. Just a little fine grade paper on the edge before the clearcoat and the edged would be invisible, just make sure that the waterslide goes out to the box edge so you can round it off in line with the box edge without doing too much damage to the paint below.

... or is Davents method the only way?
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Pigyboy

I found that vinegar wiped on the edges of the slide on decals will melt the edge and form it to the box.  I think there is actually a product for this specific purpose but vinegar works for sure
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

Frances Rhodes

hi everyone

here is my very first kit, the GGG maestro bass brassmaster clone, and 4th pedal build (eventhought the 3rd still doesn't make any sound...)

i tried to sand the enclosure but was too damn impatient so this is the furthest i could go (which was pretty hard to get since none of the sides were flat, but curved towards the inside... next time i won't buy the cheapest enclosure i find!)

-
i thought it would be a good idea to do like this... it turned out that there are so many wires inside that it's hard to close the enclosure! think i'll try something different next time!

i still haven't figured how to decorate the enclosure... and the ink i use doesn't stick, i have to get this worked through. hopefully i'll be able to etch enclosures soon...
-

cheers
"If it's too loud, you're not too old, it's Alancka Effectors."

https://www.facebook.com/alancka.effectors?sk=info

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Frances Rhodes on August 23, 2011, 08:27:43 AM

???

You are putting serial numbers on your GGG kit builds?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

robmdall

Quote from: Pigyboy on August 23, 2011, 05:52:31 AM
I found that vinegar wiped on the edges of the slide on decals will melt the edge and form it to the box.  I think there is actually a product for this specific purpose but vinegar works for sure

Chris, are you using Ink Jet Water slides and sealing them after printing? I find if I seal them, the Vinegar has no affect on the edges. Also, are you applying the vinegar while it is still wet, newly applied?

Thanks

Frances Rhodes

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 23, 2011, 09:29:10 AM
Quote from: Frances Rhodes on August 23, 2011, 08:27:43 AM

???

You are putting serial numbers on your GGG kit builds?

haha just this one (since it's the only one i built). it's rather symbolic since i'm not selling anything :)

phector2004

You sure you wanna be using a center-negative power supply?  ???

Frances Rhodes

Quote from: phector2004 on August 23, 2011, 10:29:52 AM
You sure you wanna be using a center-negative power supply?  ???

i'm not sure i understand the question... center-negative power supplies are the most common type, like Boss, Ibanez, One-Spot, etc. is it the type or the way i call it that seems wrong?

phector2004

my bad!  :icon_redface:
Still half asleep lol

Frances Rhodes

Quote from: phector2004 on August 23, 2011, 10:46:06 AM
my bad!  :icon_redface:
Still half asleep lol

haha no probs, but you scared me a little for a minute!! :D

rockhorst

Massive summer pedal craze post! All enclosures from PPP, except Zeppelin drive.

Family Photo

Modded Screamer
Newtone PCB. Old RFX logo (MXR spoof). Actually finished this some time around last April, but hadn't posted it yet :icon_redface: Surprised by the amount of gain that's on tap. Plenty enough for metal stuff. 5K trimpot inside for tone control.

AMZ voltage doubler
9V in with 2x 18V out...new 'brand' name

AMZ Mini Booster
With push/pull pot to switch the bypass capacitor (more/less gain). All jacks (in, out and DC) on top (same with all the pedals below).

MXR Distortion +
Newtone PCB...had it lying around, so might as well finish it. Not too impressed with it.

ZVEX SHO
Madbean PCB

Mosfet Booster
MadBean PCB...95% of the SHO sound without the crackle:nice!

Zendrive clone
MadBean PCB, standard values, nice versatile drive

Zeppeling drive
My favorite, buildwise: etched the PCB myself, based on MadBean Grapevine. This is only one side of it though (I believe the Rawk side, not sure though). Drilled and sanded the enclosure as well, testing a new drill template for a next batch of pedals. Goes very well with the power up at 18V! Not a lot of gain (least of the pedals in this post actually), to my surprise, but very nice transparent OD.

Gut shot
Zen (left) and Mosfet guts (sorry for the fuzziness).
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

Pigyboy

Quote from: robmdall on August 23, 2011, 09:39:42 AM
Quote from: Pigyboy on August 23, 2011, 05:52:31 AM

Chris, are you using Ink Jet Water slides and sealing them after printing? I find if I seal them, the Vinegar has no affect on the edges. Also, are you applying the vinegar while it is still wet, newly applied?

Thanks

I don't use them but I tried once with the vinegar after I read this post

'You can also buy decal setting solutions, the ones I've tried smell very acetic aciddy so I'm probably purchasing very premium priced vinegar in little plastic bottles. To eliminate the edges is just a matter of time and patience. Apply the decal to an absolutely smooth surface as mentioned earlier. Over the next 24 hours or so keep brushing on the decal set along the decal edges, this seems to help soften the edge a bit.  Once the decal is thoroughly dry start clearcoating. I use laquer so the first couple coats applied about an hour apart are light mist coats. Wait Another hour start laying on wet coats, I'll put on 6-7 coats with at least an hour between then start sanding it off using wet 800 grit. The low spots in your finish will be shiny the high finish areas will be dull after sanding. Be careful not to sand through into your decal. Now you need to spray more clearcoats, maybe four, then sand again. Just keep spraying and sanding and you will get the edges to disappear into the finish. Lots of clearcoat and lots of sanding back will get you invisble edges.'

Hope this helps but you might try Frequency Central OHP film method

I can't find Rick's link but here is another

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=88271.0

good luck
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

Slade

Here a Fuzz Factory clone with tone control (just a pot and cap after volume control).

The design was though as with GNI style (THIS ONE exactly), not an original design... :P

Anyway, here it is... BAT MACUMBA!!!

Cheers,
Fernando.-

theundeadelvis

Quote from: Perrow on August 23, 2011, 03:31:42 AM

I've never used waterslides (or most other methods) but it feels like waterslide edges could be sanded. Just a little fine grade paper on the edge before the clearcoat and the edged would be invisible, just make sure that the waterslide goes out to the box edge so you can round it off in line with the box edge without doing too much damage to the paint below.

... or is Davents method the only way?

No, you could probably do it your way too. I'm all about simple, so that's why I like the border method. The one issue you may run into with sanding is, if you do have any artwork that runs to the edge, you're probably going to sand away the toner/ink too.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

darron

Quote from: Frances Rhodes on August 23, 2011, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: phector2004 on August 23, 2011, 10:29:52 AM
You sure you wanna be using a center-negative power supply?  ???

i'm not sure i understand the question... center-negative power supplies are the most common type, like Boss, Ibanez, One-Spot, etc. is it the type or the way i call it that seems wrong?

you have me re-thinking. sounds right? i think maybe people say positive tip, but same thing.

edit: and if the centre was positive then we wouldn't have to use plastic insulated/isolated DC sockets. so centre negative sounds right :)
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

arawn

when I have a say I wire my stuff to be center positive
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic