News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavenPaget

Quote from: Pettol on November 24, 2011, 03:13:47 AM
QuoteAll labels were done with home made rub-ons.

Tell us more.

Sure!

Preparations: obviously the box is sprayed with desired color and then I put a clear coat on (makes it easier to correct mistakes).

The rub-ons:
1.   Use a laserjet to print the reversed labels on a waxy paper. I use decal paper support sheets. The toner does not adhere very well (which is why this works) so don't touch the printout.
2.   Spray the printout lightly with clear coat. I use Montana Gold for this because it dries slowly, which gives me a decent time window for the subsequent transfer. Do not use Montana for the actual clear coat of the box as it has distinctive yellow tone!
3.   When the paint is sticky but not wet, apply the label on the box and rub it lightly with your nail. Remove the paper slowly from one end and if some parts were not transferred correctly, fold the paper back and rub some more.

Finishing: you want to protect your labels with a clear coat. Since the rub-ons will give a bit of structure apply one or two mist coats and let dry before the final clear coat.

I have found some versions of this using super77 (from 3M) and hairspray (!). I believe using clear coats is a bit better (and cheaper). I also recommend spraying the labels, not the box. It makes the transfer easier. And if you don't find the right time (in terms of "stickiness") the first time you can just throw the label away.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Custom_Pedal_Graphics.html Well how about this then ?
Hiatus

Perrow

Quote from: DavenPaget on November 24, 2011, 04:17:34 AM
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Custom_Pedal_Graphics.html Well how about this then ?

That's T-shirt transfer.

This is custom rub-ons, sort of like poor mans silk screen. Actually googled home made rub-ons and found quite a lot of information, as the fact that you can actually use colors. Wonder why this hasn't been discussed more here.

Most people seem to use transparencies rather than waxed paper, some with hair spray and such but most without. The transparencies can be washed (with rubbing alcohol) and reused, I'll give it a shot as soon as I have something to apply it to.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

DavenPaget

Quote from: Perrow on November 24, 2011, 04:52:20 AM
Quote from: DavenPaget on November 24, 2011, 04:17:34 AM

That's T-shirt transfer.

This is custom rub-ons, sort of like poor mans silk screen. Actually googled home made rub-ons and found quite a lot of information, as the fact that you can actually use colors. Wonder why this hasn't been discussed more here.

Most people seem to use transparencies rather than waxed paper, some with hair spray and such but most without. The transparencies can be washed (with rubbing alcohol) and reused, I'll give it a shot as soon as I have something to apply it to.
Well i know it's using a transfer ... don't need a iron for the transfer  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

Kev77

getting my green on.,.
most of these were boxes Ive recovered from electricians etc -
I found this cool product  - like a metal putty to fill dents and holes

Thomeeque

Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Pettol

Quotehttp://www.kitrae.net/music/Custom_Pedal_Graphics.html Well how about this then ?
As Perrow said, that method is something else, but nice results. However, the t-shirt transfer paper leaves a plastic film (with you graphics) on the enclosure and was not really what I wanted. In addition, I never understood why that would be better than just normal vinyl stickers.

QuoteMost people seem to use transparencies
Yes, I saw that when I was researching the subject. I stumbled across a youtube tutorial with really crappy results and I decided it wasn't anything for me. Maybe I was wrong. I should try it some time. The advantage is that the transparencies are transparent (oddly enough) and it would be a lot easier to align them correctly. Waxed paper is more... see through.

QuoteHard to believe, hat's off!
Thanks!

One more thing about the rub ons: If you screw up, just let it dry completely, scrape it off with a sharp knife with rounded blade and try again.

phector2004

Quote from: Kev77 on November 24, 2011, 05:14:04 AM

I absolutely love this one!

It's got an "alien" look to it... what did you end up using to get this effect?

alparent

Quote from: The Tone God on November 21, 2011, 05:28:15 PM
Capacitive sensing so no mechanical moving parts for the touch controls. Just the foot plate is mechanical which is essentially one moving part when assembled. I remember somewhere someone said that some rack manufacture back in the 80's made a bass effect rack device with touch controls but other then that I'm not sure. I think I'm the only one that is using this type of control in a production product. Its actually quite tough to have a touch control in a high gain audio environment. Most are noisy as hell. I had to design one from scratch that would not create noise in the audio spectrum. Most of the common touch controls are very limited to their ability to sense. The design I came up with can be modified to sense large distances. I was going to publish the design eventually for everyone to enjoy.

Andrew

I've always wanted to know how you did it......but I never dared to ask. It's kinda your thing!
But I would LOVE to know.

Kev77

Quote from: phector2004 on November 24, 2011, 11:42:06 AM
Quote from: Kev77 on November 24, 2011, 05:14:04 AM

I absolutely love this one!

It's got an "alien" look to it... what did you end up using to get this effect?
thanks , this a box Ive had in my geez its crap box for ages, just could never get it looking ok.,.,
I finished it with rubbing model paint and then oil paints.,.

TimWaldvogel

Quote from: Nikolay on October 04, 2011, 04:16:31 AM
Hi guys. Here is a simple Germanium Booster
Including true bypass circuit.

And a picture from a new Firesound3 overdrive booster pedal PCB's. This is motherboard. There are 2 more pcbs holding pots and switces.
The pedal will be ready this week

who makes the pcbs for your pedals?
im interested in companies that will make them for you
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

greeny23

looooooper.

booooster.

ayayay!

Quotewho makes the pcbs for your pedals?

Tim, there's quite a few guys on here that will do it for you, but I'm sure you knew that.  I noticed this guy a few days ago and might have him do a small run for me, simply because of his simple approach.  http://www.circuitboardstogo.com/
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Galego

Quote from: ayayay! on November 25, 2011, 11:52:14 AM
Quotewho makes the pcbs for your pedals?

Tim, there's quite a few guys on here that will do it for you, but I'm sure you knew that.  I noticed this guy a few days ago and might have him do a small run for me, simply because of his simple approach.  http://www.circuitboardstogo.com/

I've started using this website, it was suggested by mattthegamer463, they are great, cheap shipping, only takes a couple of weeks tops for my orders to arrive, and so far the results have been great (I've ordered 4 times):
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-p-835.html?cPath=185

dromilious

one more point to point booster using Vogt 1364D-Z tubular terminals instead of turrets.

Güero

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

greeny23

tonebender. tried to be neat :)

dromilious

soooooo nice Tonebender!

roseblood11

true beauty comes from within...

greeny23

what can i say, i like mojo parts and cloth wire.

a soBer Newt

@greeny23 did you do the layout yourself?