News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

Wow, I know how it feels man.. been there. Same finger, different tool (a kaasschaaf, you can google that  :icon_mrgreen:)

diydave

Been there. Had to go to hospital once for my eye... some copper flew in it when cutting the board with a Dremel.
Since then, I only cut my boards with a small handsaw. Never again. It's not worth loosing an eye (or a finger for that matter).
Hope it heals well.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: ~arph on August 17, 2012, 03:19:42 AM
Wow, I know how it feels man.. been there. Same finger, different tool (a kaasschaaf, you can google that  :icon_mrgreen:)

It's my middle finger on my left hand. My guitar playing has suffered since I started making stomp boxes, but now that I lost the tip of my finger it's just pitiful.    :icon_cry:
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Jdansti

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 16, 2012, 08:37:02 PM

And this is what happens when your box cutter slips up onto the speed square when cutting a copper clad board.   ;D

Posted on: Today at 01:54:33 AM Posted by: diydave
Insert Quote
Been there. Had to go to hospital once for my eye... some copper flew in it when cutting the board with a Dremel.
Since then, I only cut my boards with a small handsaw. Never again. It's not worth loosing an eye (or a finger for that matter).
Hope it heals well.

Posted on: Today at 01:19:42 AM Posted by: ~arph
Insert Quote
Wow, I know how it feels man.. been there. Same finger, different tool (a kaasschaaf, you can google that  )

I use a face shield when I use the Dremel cut off wheels and sanders.

At the risk of rubbing salt in a wound and sounding like your mother, at work we cover knife and hand tool safety in our safety training. I know that this is a Pictures thread, but we get a lot of viewers on this one and I'm replying to a picture, so here goes:

• Never cut toward your body or body parts. The blade will over travel or slip, and you want it to hit air or a safe object (I use phone books because they won't ruin the blade like a piece of wood or other hard object might).
  • Use the right tool for the job. A screwdriver is not a punch, chisel, or awl.  
  • Don't use broken tools. Properly repair them if possible or throw them away and replace them.
  • Wear the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) for the job.

Enough nagging. Hope you dont have any permanent damage.  Just stay safe so you can keep building and playing. :)

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

haveyouseenhim

@jdansti Oh, I'm anal about safety. I always wear eye protection and use the right tool for the job. Just had an accident. Who knows, I may be the next Tony Iommi    8)
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Perrow

Quote from: diydave on August 17, 2012, 03:54:33 AM
Hope it heals well.

Been there, been wearing protective glasses while cutting some metal things in the garden, and then I should just cut the last one and couldn't find the glasses, one careless moment and the little metal "hair" (about e millimeter or less long) flew up and got stuck in my iris. My eye has actually just weeks ago healed properly from that injury. I managed to dislodge it myself but man did the eye hurt, especially until the little itty bitty piece of metal decided it would leave my eye altogether. Went to the hospital for a check but all they could see was the tiny little hole where the metal had been stuck.

I won't cut anything from now on without safety glasses, actually went out and bought me a better pair just so I would have less excuses not to wear them.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jdansti

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 17, 2012, 04:36:01 AM
@jdansti Oh, I'm anal about safety. I always wear eye protection and use the right tool for the job. Just had an accident. Who knows, I may be the next Tony Iommi    8)

I don't know - he's missing two.  STEP    AWAY    FROM    THE    KNIFE    SIR :o
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: Perrow on August 17, 2012, 07:51:17 AM
Quote from: diydave on August 17, 2012, 03:54:33 AM
Hope it heals well.

Been there, been wearing protective glasses while cutting some metal things in the garden, and then I should just cut the last one and couldn't find the glasses, one careless moment and the little metal "hair" (about e millimeter or less long) flew up and got stuck in my iris.

I won't cut anything from now on without safety glasses, actually went out and bought me a better pair just so I would have less excuses not to wear them.

It's interesting how our brains tell us (themselves) that we need protection from a certain risk, but there are some circumstances that justify ignoring that protection.  "I'm just driving around the corner, so I don't need to wear my seatbelts". I once did a little sanding with a Dremel sanding drum without eye protection thinking that there was no need for glasses because there would be no big chunks to hit me. What I didn't think about was the sanding drum itself could fly apart sending a big chunk my way. Fortunately it hit me a couple of mm next to my eye.
  • SUPPORTER

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Perrow

Quote from: Jdansti on August 17, 2012, 08:55:05 AM
It's interesting how our brains tell us (themselves) that we need protection from a certain risk, but there are some circumstances that justify ignoring that protection.  "I'm just driving around the corner, so I don't need to wear my seatbelts". I once did a little sanding with a Dremel sanding drum without eye protection thinking that there was no need for glasses because there would be no big chunks to hit me. What I didn't think about was the sanding drum itself could fly apart sending a big chunk my way. Fortunately it hit me a couple of mm next to my eye.

Never happened to me, no never, you have no proof I tell you, no proof  :icon_rolleyes:
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Güero

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

KNA

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 17, 2012, 09:22:44 AM

Where do you buy these tube protectors? I have found them on ebay but nowhere else.

Cheers
Trophies, swedish hardcore at its best: http://trophies.bandcamp.com/

frequencycentral

^^^ Get mine from Ebay. I think Banzai may sell them too.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

KNA

Trophies, swedish hardcore at its best: http://trophies.bandcamp.com/

LucifersTrip

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 17, 2012, 04:10:21 AM

It's my middle finger on my left hand. My guitar playing has suffered since I started making stomp boxes, but now that I lost the tip of my finger it's just pitiful.    :icon_cry:

Iommi
always think outside the box

rockhorst

There's a reason why I try to outsource most tooling, even though it's called DIY. Cut the tip of my thumb once, but could put it back on. Some scary moments with a drill press getting caught up. Generally dislike power tools, which is enough reason not to deal with them too much...
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

THOMMO

I let the lovely Mrs. Thommo loose on this one(LPB-1 clone)  :)

Cheers,
Thommo.
May The Twang Be With You

Güero

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

G. Hoffman

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 16, 2012, 08:37:02 PM
And this is what happens when your box cutter slips up onto the speed square when cutting a copper clad board.   ;D

<snip>gruesome image</snip>

I've did almost exactly the same thing - albeit on my right hand, and while free hand cutting a pick to shape - when I was a teenager.  It wasn't too bad, and once it healed you could even tell it had happened.

Quote from: Jdansti on August 17, 2012, 04:27:31 AM

• Never cut toward your body or body parts. The blade will over travel or slip, and you want it to hit air or a safe object (I use phone books because they won't ruin the blade like a piece of wood or other hard object might).
  • Use the right tool for the job. A screwdriver is not a punch, chisel, or awl. 
  • Don't use broken tools. Properly repair them if possible or throw them away and replace them.
  • Wear the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) for the job.

Not a bad list, but it misses the most important safety rule.  Before you do ANY task, figure out what can go wrong, and then make sure you can't be hurt when it DOES go wrong.  For example, if you are using a self feeding power tool (a router table, or shaper, etc.), put your hands somewhere that when it starts to self feed, your hands get pushed AWAY from the cutter.  If you are using a box cutter with a straight edge, hold it so that WHEN the blade slips, it goes right pass your body (i.e., don't stand in line with the cut!).  But your best safety equipment is your brain.  Use it, and think things through before you do them, and do so EVERY TIME!

Gabriel

Magnus

Hello together,
so here's my latest pedal, it's a Runoffgroove "Professor Tweed",
build by an own layout and glued with real Fender-Tweed...
Potentiometer-lettering on small metal-plates with letters will follow.

Details:
- etched brown pertinax-pcb
- 2N5457-transistors
- selected Vishay BC metalized polyester-capacitors
- selected vintage-style ceramic-capacitors (250V)
- Silver Mica glimmer-capacitor (passive tone-stack)
- Panasonic FC-electrolytic-capacitors
- Vishay Dale precision-metalfilm-resistors
(except one standard-resistor)
- cloth covered-wiring
- low current-Led

Greetings
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,