News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

343 Salty Beans

Been a long time since I posted here... :'(

Anyhoo, so this is my newest creation...

I saw a broken Digitech Digidelay, and decided I'd take the chance to see if I could fix it. One loose wire later, I had a working Digidelay. After toying with it, I decided I didn't like two things:

1) The bypass - kind of weak. Took a lot of the punch and zing out of my brand new roundwounds.

2) The tap tempo - holding down the switch for three seconds? lame.

So I came up with an idea...true-bypass, house in a bigger box, separate tempo switch.

Not painted yet, and I'm waiting on an orange LED before I get her painted by an artist friend of mine (think Laura Bennett, original artist of ZVex, meets 60s pop art). One LED will be blue, one bright-arse orange.

The pedal will still be stereo.

the gutshot:

She's not wired up yet...like I said, waiting on the LED. The hardest part of this was the drilling. I didn't detach the power jack, which is square, which meant a 1/4" drill hole, then a LOT of filing with a little bitty metal file. The pots also have a plastic reinforcement piece that fits the 4 pot shafts, which I wanted to keep to give it long, sturdy life. These pieces were oval-shaped, which meant more drilling/filing. But I'm stoked about plugging this thing in. The tape and mod delays are very warm, the reverse delay is pretty trippy, and the hold function is an unexpected bonus. my search for a good tap tempo delay is over. Will post updates when it's wired/painted.

As for the bypass, I'm not going to trick the bypass system into being 'always on'...then I won't get my tap tempo :/ so instead, I'm going to just set up the tap tempo every time I power on the pedal (not a pain in the butt at all). I'm just 3PDTing around the entire thing. I'll also put a small-value (5K?) multi-turn trimpot on the bypassed signal to make sure the volumes get matched.

Previous projects I'm proud of:

Blender loop, moosapotamus's circuit:

Case courtesy of John Lyons and his excellent woodworking skills :)

Analog delay (I call her the Expedelay):

Based on Rebote 2.5 from Tonepad. Treadle controls time, has repeat level and # of repeats controls, plus a long-medium-short on-off-on delay time switch, plus a self-oscillation switch. Still need to put an LED on it.

Plus a few other mods, repairs.

HeimBrent

Quote from: syndromet on July 26, 2007, 01:26:04 PM
Quote from: Beros on July 26, 2007, 10:32:50 AM
Man ska inte ligga med lik

Det skal være sikkert!

Hvorfor ikke? Litt nekrofili har da aldri skadet noen? :P

jlullo

Here's a rangemaster using one of Mick's awesome little 4" boxes.  I didn't bother putting in a status LED because of space issues inside :)  used .0056uf and .01uf input caps .  i really like the sound of the circuit with the .01uf cap... it's got that awesome TS mid hump to it.

thanks for the germ marty! 

GREEN FUZ

Cool little enclosure. I`d like to have bought some only the cost of shipping would have been prohibitive.

Dragonfly

Quote from: jlullo on July 29, 2007, 01:32:34 PM
Here's a rangemaster using one of Mick's awesome little 4" boxes.  I didn't bother putting in a status LED because of space issues inside :)  used .0056uf and .01uf input caps .  i really like the sound of the circuit with the .01uf cap... it's got that awesome TS mid hump to it.

thanks for the germ marty! 

Nice !  I love the enclosure !

got any gut shots ?   :)

jlullo

i'm a little horrified with how sloppy it is inside.  i did some poor planning and wasn't used to working in such a small space...

the taped off green lead is coming from +9v, in case i decide to add an LED later :)

may i present to you... the sloppiest build i've ever done!

cheeb

Don't feel bad.

I've been sloppier.

JimRayden

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 28, 2007, 11:50:30 AM

Are these laquer coated or just hangin there screaming out "short me, short me"? :icon_lol:

Brilliant wiring by the way.

---------
Jimbo

QSQCaito

I believe they're hanging around. But strong enough not to "say short me, short me" :D

I believe so because on the upper left and right borders, where this "wire" touches the enclosure, there is tape.

Now that I take a deep look, it seems like a "pain in the ass" job. Put it may be well worth it ;)
D.A.C

Dragonfly

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 29, 2007, 04:42:37 PM
I believe they're hanging around. But strong enough not to "say short me, short me" :D

I believe so because on the upper left and right borders, where this "wire" touches the enclosure, there is tape.

Now that I take a deep look, it seems like a "pain in the ass" job. Put it may be well worth it ;)

Correct.

The wire is thick enough that you have to push on it quite hard to get it to moveat all, and even then it just bends a bit..

It's a true pain in the ass, but it looks great, has good wire separation (good for high gain circuits), and is way more solid than traditional wiring.

This one looks a bit nicer IMO, but I'm still getting use to working with it.  It takes about 3x as long to complete a box, but the results are quite good.

Dragonfly

Quote from: jlullo on July 29, 2007, 01:57:18 PM
i'm a little horrified with how sloppy it is inside.  i did some poor planning and wasn't used to working in such a small space...

the taped off green lead is coming from +9v, in case i decide to add an LED later :)

Believe me...Ive done worse.  :icon_redface:

Its not bad at all.

Albot

Here's my second working FX box.
it has been an ongoing project since i finished my first newbie booster and it's made  out of a simple booster (with clipping diode sensitivity pot (now working very well)) a 2 transistor fuzzface thingie and a big muff tone controll (also not working realy well)
I've made it possible to controll the output volume from stage 1 (the booster) into the fuzz and also made a switch for using only the booster if i want to.

It's modified for bass with some larger input/output caps allround and im pretty happy with it except for some gating effects on the fuzz (it kills sustain with some farts) but i decided to live with that since i got the correct messurements on the transistors and just wanted to put it together.

And yes, it's a VHS case.  ::)

Front:

Guts: it's not a pretty sight

My first post by the way. great to be a part of this forum :)

Dan N

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 29, 2007, 05:42:38 PM

A cool industrial look. Like behind the scenes ducting in a high rise.

I've seen hollow tubing used in old amps for long audio runs (insulated wires inside the tube). Those look cool too.

jlullo

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 29, 2007, 05:43:47 PM
Quote from: jlullo on July 29, 2007, 01:57:18 PM

Believe me...Ive done worse.  :icon_redface:

Its not bad at all.

haha thank you :)  the important thing is that it sounds great!  i'm going to see if i can stuff your Montezuma in my next Mick special.

newbie builder

Very cool looking enclosures those round ones are, I've been trying to avoid spending so much money on those hobby, but I may have to pick up one or two of those. And really, if that is your worst looking build on the inside, you should look at some of my earlier builds or more rushed builds- those make a rat's nest look like the inside of a hiwatt.

And AC, love the bent silver wiring look. It looks like a piece of art inside there.
//

Hanglow

Albot, I like your use of recylcing  ;D

SonicVI

Here are a couple of new build and some mods:
On the left is a 7 knob Tremulus Lune using the tonepad layout and mods from Commonsound. The controls are spacing, smoothing, symmetry, fine speed, coarse speed, depth, and gain, with bypass and rate half/double switches. On the left is a Colorsound Jumbo Tone Bender clone built on the Tonepad Big Muff board.

The insides of the Tremulus Lune. I plan on trying to clean it up eventually.

The insides of the Jumbo Tone Bender. This is the circuit that they use for the reissue Tone Bender now and it sounds amazing on bass, tons of low end.

This is an original EH Small Clone that I got incredibly cheap and saved from death. Somebody must've stomped the hell out of it. When I got it the bottom part of the case was kinda mushroomed out, there was a dent in the top, the LED was burned out, and there's a crack in the pcb. I completely rewired it and I had to repair some traces and bad solder joints near the crack, but it works fine now. I bypassed the FET switch and put in true-bypass. I also changed the depth switch to a vibrato switch and added a depth knob.

Here's an original EH Hot Tubes. I replaced the direct out jack with a pot to blend the effect out and direct out. I use it with bass and the blend really works great to add more bottom.

And the insides of the Hot Tubes.  I should replace everything with shielded wire because they pick up noise from the AC wires. I just moved them all as far away as possible and it helped a lot.

This is on the pcb of the Hot Tubes. :)  Madhava is apparently another name for Vishnu or Krishna. Is this a holy pedal?

GREEN FUZ

I love the look of the Hottubes PCB. Like it`s melted.

Ben N

Big ground plane in there. I wonder why, since it is perendicular to the transformer, and inside a metal case.
  • SUPPORTER

Barcode80

more likely is less to do with need and more to do with shrinking PCB developer time in mass process