News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stallik

UV printers such as the Roland ARE inkjet printers. They happen to have a static bed with a movable print head but that head fires liquid droplets in exactly the same way as your home inkjet printer. The generic name for these printers is 'Drop on demand'

Of course, nobody calls them that - especially the marketing gurus. Instead, they have been labelled according to the type of ink they are designed to use

Photo printers
Water based ink containing either dye or pigment. Clean working, non toxic, prints best onto coated medias, image washes off in the rain. Photos, art prints, Gicle

Solvent printers
Solvent based ink containing pigment. Smelly, requires regular head maintenance, prints onto coated medias and vinyl. Needs heated bed to work correctly. Waterproof when cured. Banners, truck sides, car wraps, little stickers

Latex printers
Water based ink containing pigment and a 'latex' compound (think plastic). Green alternative to solvent, print is heated on exit to melt the 'latex' and make it waterproof. Biggest selling devices for years but Jack of all trades?

UV printers
Water based ink containing solvents and a hardening agent. Very bright UV lamps attached to the head cure the hardening agent and make it stick to almost anything. Paper, vinyl, glass, barn door. Not all uv inks stick well to bare metal and stay there when the metal expands and contracts.

So, as mentioned by FiveseveN, they're all raster devices. Images printed on each device is made from dots layed down in a pattern or screen. These dots don't match the pixels in your images and vectors don't contain dots at all. Enter the 'Raster Image Processor' or RIP for short. This handles all incoming images - RGB, CMYK, bitmaps, vectors, spot colours, cut files, toast cooking and barbecue, sending the printer exactly what it needs.

Rips are expensive, well featured and complex. They can be set up to automate printing on dozens of devices simultaneously but are more often used in manual mode by an operator who only knows some of the stuff the rip and printer can do.

So, when a particular company running a RolandXYZ says they want this or that kind of file, don't expect the file to be optimised for the same printer at another company. It's the operator and their company's workflow that makes the difference.

Oh and the vectorise your bitmaps instructions?  Vector files that started life as vector files are infinitely scalable without artefacts. It's just maths. Bitmaps are limited by the quantity of pixels available when they were created. Enlarge them enough, you'll see the jaggies. Convert them to vector and you'll introduce new jaggies which you can enlarge infinitely.

The file for the above box contained RGB and CMYK vectors and bitmaps. Fonts were outlined before sending. White layer was generated in the rip. Box was sprayed with grey car paint first.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bluebunny

Whoa!  I didn't know that.  Every day is a learning day, even Saturday.  Thanks Kevin.

Learning stuff is cool.  Teaching stuff is cooler.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

phasetrans

Quote from: stallik on August 05, 2023, 01:23:38 AM
Nobody knows what a photon looks like, that's not a planet but a plant (microscopic sea thingy) and I'm no artist.

The image looks like an electron micrograph of the diatom Aulonis Hexagona, or similar. In graduate school our group used diatoms as microscopic templates or scaffolding to try and make tiny structures out of other materials.

There's a neat photomicrography coffee table book called "The Diatoms"
  • SUPPORTER

Phend

A couple of companies I have worked for had old "wax" printers.  They used three (?) bars of wax the size of a bar of soap or bigger.
They are called solid ink printers, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_ink
What an incredible job they did. The wax medium on the paper is by far better than any ink I have seen. Both in looks and "feel".
  • SUPPORTER+
You can never know the exact time, you'll always be late.

Phend

On another note:
Here is a power distribution box.
Uses a Truetone 1Spot as the power supply.

• SUPPORTER+

davent

Quote from: phasetrans on August 05, 2023, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: stallik on August 05, 2023, 01:23:38 AM
Nobody knows what a photon looks like, that's not a planet but a plant (microscopic sea thingy) and I'm no artist.

The image looks like an electron micrograph of the diatom Aulonis Hexagona, or similar. In graduate school our group used diatoms as microscopic templates or scaffolding to try and make tiny structures out of other materials.

There's a neat photomicrography coffee table book called "The Diatoms"

Moving further sideways there's a cool album called Diatom Ribbons by Canadian pianist Kris Davis with the likes of Marc Ribot and Nels Cline duking it out.

https://youtu.be/mig9pyc1dfc

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Mac Walker

Rangemaster, figured out shading on the artwork.  Still some improvement needed on lettering.

Challenging with no level compensation on the CNC.

duck_arse

the ballarat space program. no wood involved. I have to thank Itchy Scratcherson for smoking his Laika, which was what got me interested in the first place. and Dino for his copy of the Sputnik II. and Antonis for his cup of tea. extra special thanks to bamslam69 - when I needed pot, he delivered it, right to my front door!

anyone wishing to see inside, or my redraw of the schem, look in the bukket:

https://imgur.com/gallery/z151RyW
I had a slight fever

bamslam69

Oh wow, THAT is groovy, DA!!!
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

bluebunny

Groovy. Yes, that's the word I was looking for. Baby.  8)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bluelagoon

Hey Duck, Where'd you get that cloth covering from?
Looks like some upholstery ripped off a suburban train or possibly a Metro Bus??.
Nice job all the same.

duck_arse

the orange either came from a sydney ferry or the unused dress-making cloth boxes - the print always makes me think of cow hides, and the blue is straight out of Roswell, alien technology, I've never seen anything like it for colour or feel. also found in the dress-making offcuts, so must been some kind of spacesuit my sisters wore.

ohh, and I may have said pot when I meant to say pots, obvs.
I had a slight fever

Phend

Very Neeeeeat upholstery work. Like a 60's VW van paint job look.
Buuuuuuuuuuuut the insides is where it's happening. Like far out man.
Does it work? Da, of course it does.
  • SUPPORTER+

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Phend on September 08, 2023, 02:42:47 PM
Does it work? Da, of course it does.

Nah, it's like these amps from another thread!! -

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on September 06, 2023, 10:46:36 AM
my redraw of the schem,

Ahaaa... :icon_mrgreen:

What about that unjustifiably accoused Q3..?? :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

Quotethat unjustifiably accoused Q3..??

that was a 3AX31 chinese part. it started building a deepwater port and a runway, so I evicted it. for a soviet part. hopefully not rusk.
I had a slight fever

rustypinto

I just stumbled across this in a box, built almost 20 years ago. Fuzz face in one of those hamster tumbling things, still works (the fuzz):
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

how does the hamster get in?
I had a slight fever

rustypinto

• SUPPORTER

myusernamerulez

So I was stoked to see yesterday that Walrus Audio announced their new 385 vII. Oh well.

I wanted to play the 385 because of its glitchy OD sound, ever since I heard it first on TPS.
So I bought the kit in August, but couldn't do the build because we moved into a new flat and I just couldn't find the time and place either.

This is only my second build. My other one can be seen here.

I wanted to do a design that resembles or is easy to associate with the topic around the 385. You be the judge if I managed to do that.
I also always strive to give names to my pedals that are not the obvious ones.
And then I like to use custom LEDs as well to spice it up.
Uhm, no labels yet on the dials, but I'll add them later, most probably single letters on the top of the dials.

So this one is called Keystone. Guess why.