News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birt

~arph that is a fantastic idea. i suppose it's not that hard to do and makes a pedal really stand out. congratulations with that.
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 23, 2008, 09:45:53 AM
(What WAS the name of that loose collective of SanFrancisco folks who would do those food-dye-and-oil projections we were so accustomed to seeing projected over musicians during the psychedelic era?  You know, the ones where they'd squish a glass plate down over liquid on an overhead projector in pulsing sync with the beat.  I remember seeing a show with Janis Joplin and James Cotton opening for her that had one of those swirly light shows.  Somebody here must know the name of those folks.  A quick google-search indicates the Joshua Light Show, but I'm remembering somethat sounded like a corporation name.)
Just remembered.  It was Chet Helms and the Family Dog.

jswingchun

Quote from: ~arph on January 23, 2008, 09:33:56 AM
Alright.. I'll show a nice idea too...

That is a REALLY cool idea! I might have to try that!

Is that a full pedal sized sheet of plexiglass with an led aimed at it or did you cut the plexiglass down like a donut?

Mmmmmmm, donuts.........

Valoosj

Quote from: ~arph on January 23, 2008, 09:33:56 AM
Alright.. I'll show a nice idea too...

My camera sucks but I hope it comes across

I have one in a tremolo that pulsates at the trem rate..  8)

Am I glad my trem isn't finished yet  ;D
Now tell us, how the heck did you do this?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

~arph

~arph

I will tell... when dragonfly posts his swirl tutorial  ::) I figured he needs some slight persuation  :P

It's not EZ to say at least. some important clues.
1. 3 mm.. not thicker, (unless you can get... no: WHERE can you get longer hammond screws? ), and definatly not thinner.. it will crack.
2. Heat ( the plexiglass is very attached to the bottom lid )
3. One LED, no donut

( plus I noticed diameter of the screws varies between box sizes)

niggez

Ok would it be possible like this? (Without heat :) )
1. Attach the Plexiglass to the bottom using a few drops of superglue.
2. Drill a hole in the middle to sink the led inside it.
3. Cover it completely in aluminum foil so that the light can not escape anywhere but the sides? Maybe put that between the bottom and the plexi as well...not sure..
Thats how I would attempt it.

~arph

Mmm ditch the aluminium foil.. not needed if you put the led in the center, the light only comes out at the sides as long as you keep the flat surfaces clear (not sanded). Maybe, worth to experiment, it works even better if the flat surfaces are sanded. I'll give that a try once.
I'm not sure if the screws for a 1590B are long enough.. the BB I used is already pushing it.

bancika

interesting idea with the foil...I'd also sand plexi sides (visible part) so that light is distributed more evenly..
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

~arph

yes the sides are sanded.. Oh and so is the LED  ;)

Papa_lazerous

Niggez I dont think you will need to put foil on the face to stop the light........... If you sink the LED into the plexiglass you will get the same deal as fibre optics or when you shine a torch into a bucket of water and drain the water out through a hole the light follows the water......... Total internal reflection I think. rusty at science too many years since school.

So if you  shine the light in then it will not shine significantly out through the flat faces and will reflect within, then will be visible from the sides.  ~arph will no doubt confirm.  Its a cool idea. would be ultra cool to incorporate this in a  plexi washer around a stomp switch so it iluminated when effect is on, or even red for effect green for bypass....Its got me thinking now

EDIT: 3 replies since I started typing, so kinda repeating whats already said

~arph

Quote from: Papa_lazerous on January 23, 2008, 11:20:53 AM
~arph will no doubt confirm.  Its a cool idea. would be ultra cool to incorporate this in a  plexi washer around a stomp switch so it iluminated when effect is on, or even red for effect green for bypass....Its got me thinking now

EDIT: 3 replies since I started typing, so kinda repeating whats already said

Yup..  the washer idea is nice, but where do you put the led?
Multiple colors, yes I use that also.. red/blue, red/green and if you light them both.. three colors, or pick an RGB led..

I have some other ideas for this, but those can only be demonstrated with video's

momo

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 23, 2008, 10:03:37 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 23, 2008, 09:45:53 AM
(What WAS the name of that loose collective of SanFrancisco folks who would do those food-dye-and-oil projections we were so accustomed to seeing projected over musicians during the psychedelic era?  You know, the ones where they'd squish a glass plate down over liquid on an overhead projector in pulsing sync with the beat.  I remember seeing a show with Janis Joplin and James Cotton opening for her that had one of those swirly light shows.  Somebody here must know the name of those folks.  A quick google-search indicates the Joshua Light Show, but I'm remembering somethat sounded like a corporation name.)
Just remembered.  It was Chet Helms and the Family Dog.

Here ya go Mark, for the memories.....can we spot you in da crowd!!
It sais in my book "I want to take you higher" that this is Bill Ham and his "LSD" (light,sound,dimension) show, coinvented with a guy named Bob Cohen.
Anyway, I thought you might enjoy the pics.
Sorry to highjack the tread temporarly!

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

Mark Hammer

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

That's what I'm talking about!  Never made it there, but those shows or style of light show were popular enough that they found their way up to us in Montreal.  I'm confident Pink Floyd had a flotilla of such overhead projectors (what those people were operating in the lower picture).

Actually, the paint swirl goes back further as a dynamic visual device (distinguished from the old carnival "splatter paint" booths where you'd pay 50 cents and squirt brightly coloured paint from ketchup/mustard squeezers onto a quickly rotating piece of bristol board).  There was a B&W detective show I used to watch as a kid called "Checkmate" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053491/ ) that had a moving paint swirl in the opening credits.

Renegadrian

dschwartz, I like your rack...Its tribal themes on the face are beautiful... :icon_surprised:

And arph boxes...They're sort of an alien thing...Man they're stunning... :o
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

momo

Well since we are takling about swirls, here is PinK Floyd in 68!, maybe that can influence some of you for a stompbox......its the last pic I promise!!

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

mojotron

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 21, 2008, 07:46:19 PM
THANKS !!!   ;D

I'm gonna try to find time to do a "how to" instructional on "EZ Swirls" now that I've got a "method" basically worked out...I need to figure out if I'm going to do a pictorial, or maybe borrow a video camera and do it that way...its just a matter of having the time to do it.

another from tonight...I LOVE the bottom on this one !

Andy - I've seen a lot of swirls and those are amazing! Thanks again for bringing your creativity and skill to the forum!!

BTW - A tutorial would be awesome! Let me know if you need an assistant/guinea pig.

Dragonfly

AWESOME !

I'll bet that light show was darn cool under the right set of...umm..."circumstances" !   ;D :o

============================================================

~arph ...those pedals are really cool ! I dig the "pseudo neon" look ! It's fast and furious !

============================================================

Swirl Tutorial... I started it today :)... Pictures of an enclosure I'm working on...hopefully it all comes out well !  :)

Here's a "teaser" though....

The box starts out like this :

And  ends up looking more like this:

niggez

that would indeed be awsome...an led-washer around the stompswitch indicating on/off!

disto

wow love the LED baseplate stip effect, looks really good, whats it like in the day time or with lights?!

when you say heat, how do you heat?