News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambulancevoice

hmmm Andy, same circuit in series? are those wire terminals or trimpots at the top?

is it a distortion (as in not fuzz)? or a modulation effect?

edit: just looked again
trimpots
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

slacker

Quote from: foxfire on April 12, 2008, 09:21:52 AM
if you feel like sharing, could we see underneath her? i do love me some perf.

You can see underneath if you want, but it's vero not perf so it's not very interesting, just lots of solder and a few trace cuts.

ConanB

Quote from: Dragonfly on April 12, 2008, 03:20:01 AM
Quote from: tehfunk on April 12, 2008, 02:56:15 AM
more like, just a little bit of mojo, or better yet, a ton. It's a fuzz right? So, what is it based off of.

Nope...not a fuzz...
..and not based on anything ;)

It's strangely hypnotizing... whatever it is.

foxfire

oh ok, vero makes my head hurt. granted i haven't spent much time on it. still it's a good looking build. rylan

nokaster

thought i'd share in this thread for once...

this is my ruby. with bassman mods.

it's a weber 5E7 bandmaster cabinet. 3x10" speakers. chassis cutout for a 5E3. classic vintage esthetics.
a 5E3 deluxe chassis.
3 weber signature speakers, 10", 1 ceramic and 2 alnico.

the ruby circuit has the bassman mods and this amp sounds pretty darn good with my teles with nokaster pickups in them.

eventually i'll be building a champ or a deluxe in this chassis and cab, but for now, this arrangement is all i need for a while.
the neighbours in my appartmentbuilding will be very thankfull.
allthough a ruby through 3x10" is pretty loud!

some might find this a "little" excessive for "just a ruby", but i've got all the basic stuff i need to build a number of tube amps in this setup eventually.

gutsofgold

the bassman mods are so fitting in that cabinet.  :D

nokaster

Quote from: gutsofgold on April 12, 2008, 12:49:31 PM
the bassman mods are so fitting in that cabinet.  :D

just wanted to take the bassman mods to another level...

Zedmin_fx

How loud can that amp get? I would like to make one but dont know how many watts and such you can get from it.

nokaster

Quote from: Zedmin_fx on April 12, 2008, 01:05:49 PM
How loud can that amp get? I would like to make one but dont know how many watts and such you can get from it.

i believe 9V and a 8 ohm speakerload gets you 0.5 watts with a ruby.
i've got a 2.7 ohm speakerload and i believe that makes things louder?

i liked the ruby through a 1x12" speaker, but this setup is really nice!

liddokun

Here's my board....

From left to right: Small Clone with mods (not DIY), TS808 off tonepad layout, fuzz (Dragonfly's circuit), Brian May Treble Booster (with mods), and modded Crybaby. The small black one above the the booster and beside the Wah is my true bypass box for the wah.

Also, my take on a ROG Ruby.

Cheers
To those about to rock, we salute you.

Paul T

Quote from: nokaster on April 12, 2008, 12:46:11 PM
thought i'd share in this thread for once...

this is my ruby. with bassman mods.
it's a weber 5E7 bandmaster cabinet. 3x10" speakers. chassis cutout for a 5E3. classic vintage esthetics.
a 5E3 deluxe chassis.
3 weber signature speakers, 10", 1 ceramic and 2 alnico.

the ruby circuit has the bassman mods and this amp sounds pretty darn good with my teles with nokaster pickups in them.

eventually i'll be building a champ or a deluxe in this chassis and cab, but for now, this arrangement is all i need for a while.
the neighbours in my appartmentbuilding will be very thankfull.
allthough a ruby through 3x10" is pretty loud!

some might find this a "little" excessive for "just a ruby", but i've got all the basic stuff i need to build a number of tube amps in this setup eventually.

Excessive ? no.

Funny as hell ? YES !!!

I must admit I've never seen such a big cab for such a small amplifier.
Hey, in the meantime, if sounds good, IT IS good. So, good for you !

Keep the cab/chassis for experimenting. It's worth it. 
Fets or tubes, analog rules !

Processaurus

WOLF COMPUTER!

that makes my day

earthtonesaudio

The last two Ruby builds are totally awesome.  In totally different ways.  Totally.

Also, Dragonfly's mystery mojo circuit has one problem: there's a 1% precision resistor in there (lower left... unless I'm mistaken) that is ruining the mojo of all the other components.  I think you should replace that resistor with something more fitting to the theme of the pedal, such as a 2 watt carbon comp, or vintage wirewound or something.  I don't even know what the circuit does, but after you fix it, it will "come alive," be more "transparent," and have more bass, middle, and treble.  :icon_mrgreen:

Dragonfly

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on April 12, 2008, 10:30:19 PM

Also, Dragonfly's mystery mojo circuit has one problem: there's a 1% precision resistor in there (lower left... unless I'm mistaken) that is ruining the mojo of all the other components.  I think you should replace that resistor with something more fitting to the theme of the pedal, such as a 2 watt carbon comp, or vintage wirewound or something.  I don't even know what the circuit does, but after you fix it, it will "come alive," be more "transparent," and have more bass, middle, and treble.  :icon_mrgreen:

Nope... different brand of carbon comp.... little different look than the Allen-Bradleys....

earthtonesaudio

Ah, so the mojo has escaped unharmed.  Thank goodness.

arawn

The Dragonfly's mojo is untouchable Grasshopper
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

ambulancevoice

Quote from: nokaster on April 12, 2008, 01:10:02 PM
Quote from: Zedmin_fx on April 12, 2008, 01:05:49 PM

i believe 9V and a 8 ohm speakerload gets you 0.5 watts with a ruby.
i've got a 2.7 ohm speakerload and i believe that makes things louder?

i liked the ruby through a 1x12" speaker, but this setup is really nice!

more watts doesnt necessarily mean more volume
a 5 watt amp can sound just as loud to us as an 50 or 80 watt amp
bigger speakers usual means more volume
also, you put a distortion or boost circuit in there for fun, and to fill some holes

ambulancevoice

Quote from: liddokun on April 12, 2008, 09:14:06 PM

Also, my take on a ROG Ruby.

Cheers

ive love those rubys that are built like mini Marshall amp heads, they look so damn cool, even though ROG describes the ruby as "Fender-ish"
oh wait! JTM 45!

andrew_k

My second completed pedal build, a variation of a b00teek tubescreamer.

ACS

Quote from: andrew_k on April 13, 2008, 06:34:50 AM
My second completed pedal build, a variation of a b00teek tubescreamer.

Nice!  Looking real good there mate.  I notice you're in Melb - where are you sourcing your 3PDT's from?  I'm still trying to find the best source!