SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boogdish

Quote from: danielzink on April 25, 2008, 09:09:56 PM
My first box etch !!

Took 3 tries to get the press n peel right - but it paid off !

Tantalus fuzz

Dan

that looks fantastic, where's the switch going to go though?

letsgocoyote

rehouse/mod a fab echo

danielzink

Quote from: Boogdish on April 25, 2008, 10:27:54 PM
Quote from: danielzink on April 25, 2008, 09:09:56 PM
My first box etch !!

Took 3 tries to get the press n peel right - but it paid off !

Tantalus fuzz

Dan

that looks fantastic, where's the switch going to go though?

Probably put the 3pdt just above the U (V)

dschwartz

Quote from: letsgocoyote on April 25, 2008, 11:15:57 PM
rehouse/mod a fab echo

man that´s good taste..it look so elegant
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

dxm1

Another take on the ubiquitous five knob fuzz. While not much to look at, it was meant to be an experiment with several goals:

1)  See if the Russian GT308 trannies play well in a Fuzz Face environment.

2)  Try out the new 'Clear Shaft' Alpha pots that Mouser started stocking.  See if the LEDs are workable in both daylight and
    bar room conditions.

3)  An attempt at Swirl painting.

When I was planning this months ago, I thought to use the Borax/Oil paint technique. I even made up a Rubbermaid plastic box with a divider across the surface, to have 'clean' side and a 'paint' side so as to allow a single 'dip', rather than an in and out routine, which after a few tests proved unsatisfactory.

Then Andy came out with his acrylic 'drip and scratch' results - Grrrrr.  That looked so much better than my attempts with oil paints, I chose to go that way.

I made a mistake with the Alpha pots - the audio taper units the Mouser stocks have different physical dimensions than the linear taper items, as well as being dual pots. ???  While all of the clear shaft pots are PC mount, the audio taper units have no threaded collar for panel mounting. They are also several millimeters shorter than the linear units.

Since the GT308's sound good in this circuit, I'm putting together another one using all linear pots. At least the front of the pedal will look consistent. I'm currently trying to cast some chicken-head knobs in clear acrylic to use with these pots - if anyone has a source for clear knobs (other than Gibson speed knobs) I'd like to try them out.

Fuzzy-Train

^ :icon_eek:

Wait.... what??? Where'd you get those???

Never seen that before. Looks very cool.  :icon_wink:
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

tehfunk

Quote from: Fuzzy-Train on April 26, 2008, 01:41:44 PM
^ :icon_eek:

Wait.... what??? Where'd you get those???

Never seen that before. Looks very cool.  :icon_wink:

Your answer:

Quote from: dxm1 on April 26, 2008, 12:05:34 PM
2)  Try out the new 'Clear Shaft' Alpha pots that Mouser started stocking.  See if the LEDs are workable in both daylight and
    bar room conditions.
Great work dxm1, I really like it. Also, HOW good do the GT308s sound in the fuzz face, did you get em from the ebay source? What is the actual gain range on them, accounting for leakage? I heard that the gain ranges given aren't what the actual ones are.

Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

Fuzzy-Train

Oops. Sorry 'bout that.  :icon_lol:

Sometimes when I'm busy doing something else, or in a hurry I just look at the pictures. :icon_redface:
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: dxm1 on April 26, 2008, 12:05:34 PM

... I'm currently trying to cast some chicken-head knobs in clear acrylic to use with these pots...

Are you sure you `ve left enough room for chicken-heads?

dxm1

Quote from: tehfunk on April 26, 2008, 02:24:43 PM
Also, HOW good do the GT308s sound in the fuzz face, did you get em from the ebay source? What is the actual gain range on them, accounting for leakage? I heard that the gain ranges given aren't what the actual ones are.

I was surprised how good they sounded in this circuit.  I've also used them in a FaceBender, Brick, and Harmonic Perkolator. They all sound good. Yes, I got them off eBay. If I recall, gains were Q1=81, Q2=103 @10mA (which is much hotter than they're running here), no measureable leakage on my DCA55. They're marked on the tops, but I had to put the black electrical tape spots on to prevent the cases grounding to the enclosure.

Boogdish

These are the same thing, the one on the left I built for my buddy as a birthday gift and the one on the right was my first attempt at engraving an enclosure with my dremel.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

These are both loop switchers.

petemoore

Here it is, I unscrewed the EV horn, wrapped Silk container totebox material around the 1.25'' OD a few times w/glue, then worked my way toward the center by adding 'clocksprings' [strips of the hard cardboard I recycle], then I sized [by dry fitting after the driver adapter fitting had dried mostly] the length of wrap necessary to increase the diameter of my tube to 'cork fit' into the diaphrams new fitting.
  Fits just like a cork.
  Second pedal board now has a few 1/2'' x 1'' strips of Silk on it in 4 places to keep the horn straight, then I just 'chocked' it in like a truckers wheel chuck. [a couple years ago before I had the horns, I cut the two tiers to perfectly cram the horn in, lucky !]. So I can just take a split/buffered from the Spliterbox, run it into the 5w recto-amp...shizzamm instant [after digging out the cables and firing up the PA] 'Do You Feel Like My Rocky Mountain Way'?
  Cable wraps up, tube disconnects...I am real proud of the quick and super 'cork fit' tube/diaphram connector, it came out nice and straight...I 'muck-soaked' the strips real good with the glue to soft, washed hands [for a little grip again] and wrapped myself a couple fittins ! [I had to hold tight and dry fit and re-cut the last reduction strip a few times].
  Tools: Needle nose [to tighten the coiled strips of the ID] and rubber bands [to hold the threaded [just pinch and turn] cardboard on the tube outer diameter.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ambulancevoice

Quote from: petemoore on April 26, 2008, 10:19:04 PM
  Here it is, I unscrewed the EV horn, wrapped Silk container totebox material around the 1.25'' OD a few times w/glue, then worked my way toward the center by adding 'clocksprings' [strips of the hard cardboard I recycle], then I sized [by dry fitting after the driver adapter fitting had dried mostly] the length of wrap necessary to increase the diameter of my tube to 'cork fit' into the diaphrams new fitting.
  Fits just like a cork.
  Second pedal board now has a few 1/2'' x 1'' strips of Silk on it in 4 places to keep the horn straight, then I just 'chocked' it in like a truckers wheel chuck. [a couple years ago before I had the horns, I cut the two tiers to perfectly cram the horn in, lucky !]. So I can just take a split/buffered from the Spliterbox, run it into the 5w recto-amp...shizzamm instant [after digging out the cables and firing up the PA] 'Do You Feel Like My Rocky Mountain Way'?
  Cable wraps up, tube disconnects...I am real proud of the quick and super 'cork fit' tube/diaphram connector, it came out nice and straight...I 'muck-soaked' the strips real good with the glue to soft, washed hands [for a little grip again] and wrapped myself a couple fittins ! [I had to hold tight and dry fit and re-cut the last reduction strip a few times].
  Tools: Needle nose [to tighten the coiled strips of the ID] and rubber bands [to hold the threaded [just pinch and turn] cardboard on the tube outer diameter.
soooo, what is it???
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

ACS

talkbox!!  the coolest effect ever :)

disto

Quote from: darron on April 21, 2008, 01:16:35 AM
stripped back boss pedal:

my new carbon fiber pen in there to show mirroring effect.

WOW thats cool! i agree with dragonfly on the whole clear coat though would stop it loosing that awesome shine...
sounds like you had a whole load of work sanding... i stripped a crybaby about a year ago, its got that nasty vinyl paint effect would have been hell to sand, however i used some multipurpose paint stripper, makes the job so much easier. comes as a jelly you just paint it on wait 30mins or so and then everything just scrapes off, little or no sanding required  ;D

darron

Quote from: disto on April 27, 2008, 06:35:50 AM
WOW thats cool! i agree with dragonfly on the whole clear coat though would stop it loosing that awesome shine...
sounds like you had a whole load of work sanding... i stripped a crybaby about a year ago, its got that nasty vinyl paint effect would have been hell to sand, however i used some multipurpose paint stripper, makes the job so much easier. comes as a jelly you just paint it on wait 30mins or so and then everything just scrapes off, little or no sanding required  ;D

thanks disto (:

there's been a bit of interest in this so i think i might pimp it further. i'm thinking that i will try to sand/buff it smoother, then mark some text on the surface, then clear it (keep y'all happy), then engrave something in the rubber boss pad at the bottom, or maybe make my own. hmm. need to find some rubber.

i'll keep an eye open for tiny knobs too.

edit: then again, the circuit isn't fantastic anyway. might be good to use it to house something else. has anybody got any good mods for this? it needed to be less shrill from memory and less hissy. could use some switchcraft jacks too... i just realised, i must have sanded this pretty deep because it used to have the previous owner's name (phil) engraved on the side... where'd that go??
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

cloudscapes

you guys are making some really sick swirls! I might try one today on a little fuzz enclosure. gotta go out for some oil paint though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

Beros

Quote from: Beros on April 25, 2008, 09:13:58 PM
Modded my Vox Wah.

The one switch is a range switch, which switches between three different caps. The other switch is for switching inductors between a red Fasel and the stock inductor. I am really satisfied with my placement of the switches.. Very discrete. Other than that I also did the standard Q/vol/mid trimpots. Works like a charm and it will get a pink LED some day. I just can't decide where to put it.

Cheers!
LED.
Man ska inte ligga med lik

cloudscapes

I've started on my first swirl today. the primer is still drying, though.

I've also been working on a thing. it uses 19 knobs, 18 LEDs, three toggle switches, one stomp switch, one push button and three audio jacks. all inside a Sovtek 1790NS! I've only *just* started on the PCB in diptrace, but this this is gonna be mad! MAD!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}