News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disto

Quote from: free electron on May 15, 2008, 06:04:47 AM
After about a year of experiments (on circuit, not enclosure;) here's a finished prototype of my FireStarterII:

UH WOW!!!!
this is a very very good build! a year well spent free electron! cant wait to see the phaser! already sounds brilliant, built like a pro!

runmikeyrun

This might go down in history as the longest/most viewed thread on a messageboard.  someone check w/ Guiness!!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

ambulancevoice

Quote from: runmikeyrun on May 16, 2008, 10:57:18 PM
This might go down in history as the longest/most viewed thread on a messageboard.  someone check w/ Guiness!!!

doubt it, but, some sort of award should go to the person who can read through this entire thread!
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

kurtlives

Quote from: ambulancevoice on May 16, 2008, 11:17:00 PM
Quote from: runmikeyrun on May 16, 2008, 10:57:18 PM

doubt it, but, some sort of award should go to the person who can read through this entire thread!
Done! :D
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

arawn

me too i have read every post including my own
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

darron

it was a lot better if you jumped on the boat early, before all of the links started to decay. there were some amazing ones. everyone's come a long way from crappy little aluminium/steel boxes, to painted, then decals etc.

then there was the etching phase that i never grew out of.

swirls are the new etch ;)
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

ACS

Quote from: cheeb on May 16, 2008, 05:29:03 PM
ACS, your tube glows way brighter than mine. What's going on?

If you're looking at the bottom pic, then it's a little deceptive - that was a 30 second exposure in near darkness, which has exaggerated the brightness...  It's plugged in in the other pics as well, so that gives a better idea of the 'real' brightness.  It is running at 12V as well though - it's quite a lot dimmer at 9V.

Aidan

andrew_k

Quote from: darron on May 17, 2008, 01:51:19 AM

*cough* frickin lasers *cough* ;)
I'm drilling/finishing the neovibe tomorrow darron, fingers crossed I don't stuff up your excellent work!

free electron

Quote from: cheeb on May 16, 2008, 12:44:35 AM
Very impressive, free electron. Do you intend to sell these products? It strikes me as very professional. Definitely very nice work.
Thank you. Although i'm building them in a quite small quantities, yes i'm selling them.

any chance of some insight on the circuit?
The dist/od part is a discrete Fet/Mosfet circuit (biased at the gates, so no SHO or typical drain trimpot). The 9V is internally boosted to about 20V.

Quote from: disto on May 16, 2008, 05:37:30 PM
UH WOW!!!!
this is a very very good build! a year well spent free electron! cant wait to see the phaser! already sounds brilliant, built like a pro!
:) the development of the phaser took a lot more time than the FS II. Somewhere in this thread i posted some photos of the first version of the pwm phaser, called RadarPhase. The new version has tap tempo and some background improvements, like switching off the feedback in vibrato mode. The last mod i came up with was a manual phase shift mode. When the speed knob is at minimum, the depth knobs works as manual shift regulator allowing to use the effect as a kind of tone regulator. Sounds cool. Here's a sample with a drum loop:
Drum loop + RadarPhase
And here's a short clean guitar loop fed into the effect, while i'm tweaking all the parameters:
Clean Guit Loop + RadarPhase

darron

Quote from: andrew_k on May 17, 2008, 03:23:55 AM
Quote from: darron on May 17, 2008, 01:51:19 AM

*cough* frickin lasers *cough* ;)
I'm drilling/finishing the neovibe tomorrow darron, fingers crossed I don't stuff up your excellent work!

awesome! how hope that fingerprint in the clear coat isn't too horrible  :icon_confused:

looking forward to it. i maintain that acid etching is still cool. it's almost like something set in stone.

jasonsmusicgear

Here's my PT80 which took about 3 months to debug, I finally found a trace that was connected during the etching.

Valoosj

How did you do the white lettering on a blue background?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

jasonsmusicgear

Quote from: Valoosj on May 17, 2008, 03:22:57 PM
How did you do the white lettering on a blue background?

It's just a white label with sticky backing from Staples, printed with an inkjet printer.  I think the product number is SIW0150.  I got the blue ink as close to the blue paint as possible.

darron

Quote from: jasonsmusicgear on May 17, 2008, 03:08:06 PM
Here's my PT80 which took about 3 months to debug, I finally found a trace that was connected during the etching.

3 months is probably more debugging than i would put in. i'd probably just try again by that point.

very good looking build! possibly the neatest looking wiring that i've seen.

jasonsmusicgear

Thanks Darron, it was really just sitting on my desk for 3 months with a few intermittent attempts at debugging.

foxfire

sure it's not a pedal but, it's kinda cool...

it's out of a Baldwin organ i decided to gut. it's got 2 speeds and, will need a new belt before too long. i tried to fix it with some silicon and thread. well it worked better than i thought i would but, i wasn't expecting much. it sounds pretty cool but, my little peavey has been acting funny lately and, since i can't seem to build a ruby that sound half decent i'll have to hold my final judgment till i can try another amp. rylan 

Papa_lazerous

Thats definately cool little cab you got there ;)

foxfire

Quote from: Papa_lazerous on May 18, 2008, 02:49:58 PM
Thats definately cool little cab you got there ;)

thanks, oh and i'm going to call it a "Reslie".

Filament

I submit this with my apologies to Darron, I rarely even paint my enclosures anymore, much less etch them.   ;D

Anyhow, this is the first thing I've submitted in a long while and really it's more for the name than the enclosure.  It's a Rebote 2.5 with a couple of mods that I renamed the Big Donut because I was so inspired by the following You Tube Video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdGJQweS6fU

By the way, I LOVE the Rebote, it's got a really nice lo-fi character to it which I was hoping for.  As with all the FP layouts I've used, it worked perfectly the first time I fired it up.  Even with the mods.

This is not my large automobile

kawayanstrat

Been practicing on my swirls lately. ;D

Here's one for my compressor.