Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_k

Quote from: rnfr on September 24, 2008, 03:29:10 AM
this looks amazing!  how did you do it?

thanks  :)

rough steps:
1) rattlecan'd enamel black. (let dry)
2) sand back to bare metal on top and most of sides
3) 1:3 acrylic:water mix dripped all over pedal and tilted for a swirls/streaks finish. That's the green and yellow stuff. (let dry)
4) sand roughly, all in one direction (horizontal in this case)
5) highlighting and drybrushing with acrylics (let dry)
6) sand back lightly with fine sandpaper
7) blue+white acrylic paint applied with sponge for general wave shape
8) stencil shape of wave used to sponge white at the peak of the wave
9) Wave drawn on with black marker (let dry!)
10) shading and highlights added to wave with white and blue wax crayons
11) spray on acrylic clear coats

Dragonfly

Quote from: John Lyons on September 23, 2008, 11:56:09 PM

Andy
Are you stripping the cloth off wire or cutting and pushing it back?
It's hard to keep away from some fraying...just though I'd ask...

Looks nice.

john

Cut and push.

I've tried heating the ends in the past but it didnt make much of a difference...for me anyway. I've thought about using a drop of superglue as well....though i haven't tried it out yet.

Quote from: ~arph on September 24, 2008, 03:03:25 AM
Any chance of still getting one like this: (reply: #6172)

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.msg552272#msg552272

On page 309. I still like that one the best, sadly the soundclip is gone now.  :(

I'll still be making some like that when I have more time.  The "El Toro" is silicon, the one you linked is germanium :)

Quote from: ambulancevoice on September 24, 2008, 05:00:41 AM
andy, great fuzz!, not your best though imo

Thanks - it's just in the "beginning stage" of refining the circuit - I'll be messing with it a bunch more...tweaking...  ;)

~arph

Quote from: Dragonfly on September 24, 2008, 09:17:48 AM
I'll still be making some like that when I have more time.  The "El Toro" is silicon, the one you linked is germanium :)
Great, I'm still up for one!

rnfr

Quote from: andrew_k on September 24, 2008, 06:54:31 AM
Quote from: rnfr on September 24, 2008, 03:29:10 AM
this looks amazing!  how did you do it?

thanks  :)

rough steps:
1) rattlecan'd enamel black. (let dry)
2) sand back to bare metal on top and most of sides
3) 1:3 acrylic:water mix dripped all over pedal and tilted for a swirls/streaks finish. That's the green and yellow stuff. (let dry)
4) sand roughly, all in one direction (horizontal in this case)
5) highlighting and drybrushing with acrylics (let dry)
6) sand back lightly with fine sandpaper
7) blue+white acrylic paint applied with sponge for general wave shape
8) stencil shape of wave used to sponge white at the peak of the wave
9) Wave drawn on with black marker (let dry!)
10) shading and highlights added to wave with white and blue wax crayons
11) spray on acrylic clear coats

wow- REAL ART!  fantastic! I love the deconstructed thing goin on, and am a fan of japanese styles as well.  wish i could do something that nice!  looks really great.

silverflame44

Hey Guys,

I finished my second pedal!  Since I'm at college living in an apartment, a headphone amp was a top priority for me.  I was able to fit a distortion plus and ruby amp in this B size case.

It sounds great, and its SO useful for apartment settings.

--Eric
Hey guys,
I've been participating in a program that pays me money for reading Emails! I earn $45 a month!!! I'd like to share it with you, so to get more information on the program, the website is:

www.snipurl.com/email4pay

I hope you enjoy it!!!

CoolJohnny

okay dragonfly, those are indeed the sweetest boxes yet....how much for a 1590B done that way? so cool, it looks like those hubble telescope shots of distant galaxies and nebulas and shit...
my car is so slow i piss off amish people....

Dragonfly

Quote from: CoolJohnny on September 24, 2008, 05:45:32 PM
okay dragonfly, those are indeed the sweetest boxes yet....how much for a 1590B done that way? so cool, it looks like those hubble telescope shots of distant galaxies and nebulas and sh*t...

PM me and I'll get you a good price :)

Dragonfly

OK....I wanted to use my "granite" method and see if I could emulate "rust". I wanted to make a box look like an old rusted out antiquity, and here's what I was able to come up with....

Boogdish

Silverflame44, that looks really great, I like it when the knobs are going over the edges on a pedal, makes things seem larger than life.  What sort of decal did you use?

Dragonfly, love the painted washer/nut on the stomp switch.

John Lyons

Thanks Andy for some inspiration with the technique :icon_wink:
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

JasonG

Man you guys are killing me with those finishes. Nice work!
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

Dragonfly

Thats really cool John ! I like the "fractal sunburst" !

kurtlives

Quote from: silverflame44 on September 24, 2008, 05:26:32 PM
Hey Guys,

I finished my second pedal!  Since I'm at college living in an apartment, a headphone amp was a top priority for me.  I was able to fit a distortion plus and ruby amp in this B size case.

It sounds great, and its SO useful for apartment settings.

--Eric
I love this very nice.... Nice
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

MikeH

Some of my recent builds:
Maestro FSH1 with some other goodies inside (lets just say there's a bunch of 555s in there.  I really wanted this one to look like a 70's doomsday device.  Red! Red! Red!

I was on a twin pedal kick:  RM Octave Fuzz and Blue Box w/ switchable Red Ranger, Pulsar and Phase 90 w/ Purple Peaker, and Highway 89 and BSIABII.  Initially (on the breadboard) I though the Hwy 89 and BSIAB sounded a lot more different than they actually do.  I'll probably end up replacing the Hwy 89 with something crunchier.

Klon clone- my first stab at etching an enclosure.  I knew it would probably come out looking like crap, so I went ahead and just made sure it looked really rough.  And also a Fuzz Factory clone.

Green ringer (eyes light up!), Rebote/CE-2 (middle switch is momentary for infinite repeats), and a microamp w/ master vol in a spiffy enclosure I bought from Dragonfly.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

davent

Quote from: John Lyons on September 24, 2008, 06:51:21 PM

Thanks Andy for some inspiration with the technique :icon_wink:

Really nice there John! The paint colours, knobs and led all compliment each other well!

Did you use the sponging/dabbing technique Dragonfly described in the granite tutorial?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

John Lyons

Thanks Dave!
Yes, I used a damp sponge.
The colors are a little over-saturated in the pic, they are more earthy in actuality.
I have some ideas brewing for some further refinement and variation with this technique.

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

caress

the tops and bottoms of some fuzzes i'm rolling out... my first silkscreen attempts (not perfect  ::)) as well as some fun and beautiful stamps.

John Lyons

Those look pretty cool Brian
Got any larger pics?
I'd like to see some detail.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

silverflame44

Thanks Boogdish!

The finish is actually just a toner transfer =P  I used a magazine page and printed my decal i made in photoshop and then ironed it on and clear coated.  Parts of the toner came off but i kinda like it that way.  thanks for the compliments =] =] =]

--Eric
Hey guys,
I've been participating in a program that pays me money for reading Emails! I earn $45 a month!!! I'd like to share it with you, so to get more information on the program, the website is:

www.snipurl.com/email4pay

I hope you enjoy it!!!

caress

Quote from: John Lyons on September 24, 2008, 11:56:11 PM
Those look pretty cool Brian
Got any larger pics?
I'd like to see some detail.

john

which one?  front? back?  oh!  i also got my pcbs made in BLACK!  amazing... i'll take a pic soon.