Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

Here is my recent Maestro FZ-1S clone

fuzzo

nice like the original :icon_biggrin: , but as big as an EHX pedal ;D

GREEN FUZ

AAAAARRGGH!!! IT`S HAPPENED AGAIN.

I`m in the middle of building an FZ-1s with a design based on the original. I`m using a smaller enclosure though so I`ve had to redefine the graphics a bit.

Yours looks great BTW.

Sweetalk

Where do you get those knobs yeeskul?, I have an old acoustic guitar with those knobs and one it's broken. Great build!

DougH

AstroTone Fuzz.

I made it out of a 4" PVC drain cap:

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

armstrom

Well, it's not exactly a stomp box, but I thought I would share my latest creation. This is my first attempt at building an amp. It was built for a harp player who's nickname is "The Hurricane" (hence the name of the amp).

Here are the details:

• LM386 based preamp (based on the Ruby and Noisy Cricket designs)
  • Big Muff tone control between preamp and power amp stage
  • TDA2005 Power amp
  • 12V 2A power brick supply
  • Ted Weber Signature Series 6" speaker
  • Custom wooden cabinet and aluminum chassis

Here's a sound clip a friend recorded for me. Fair warning, it's about 2.5MB.
http://www.mr2-power.com/Hurricane_test_2.mp3

yeeshkul

Quote from: Sweetalk on October 22, 2008, 07:39:21 AM
Where do you get those knobs yeeskul?, I have an old acoustic guitar with those knobs and one it's broken. Great build!

local shop, if you are desperate i would send you one next time i go there :)

kierc

My first enclosure! taken a while, but I'm pleased with it  ;D

Thanks to Nelson's Clone Theory project, and MarkM's enclosure etching tutorial  8)

Gila_Crisis

really cool your Clone Theory!
i'm building one too!!!  how does it sound?

kierc

Cheers Gila_Crisis  ;D

Sounds wooshy and crazy!! haha
Mine has a deep hum (pretty sure its my power supply though), but I recorded a rubbish sample of it (from my camera, and my playing leaves ALOT to the imagination!! - I only recorded this to capture the back noise..) which you can see here : http://www.kierc.co.uk/clonetheory/theorysamples.html

I'm pretty sure if I knew how to play guitar then it would be a good effect, so I'm sure you'll like yours  8)  (also, I don't know if he has updated it since, but the regulator was backwards on the layout, so double check  :))

Dragonfly

Quote from: yeeshkul on October 22, 2008, 06:09:48 AM
Here is my recent Maestro FZ-1S clone

Beautiful !

Absolutely flawless work !

yeeshkul

Thanks Dragonfly :). I love your hippie-style painting on the boxes. That black&yellow looked so much like early Pink Floyd oil-frame projections ...

Dragonfly

Quote from: DougH on October 22, 2008, 07:40:41 AM
AstroTone Fuzz.

;D

you should look into the spray magnetic shielding paint for the interior

i recognize a few things about your build ...switch wiring, etc...

i dig the decal too - 

you bust out all your Marc Bolan riffs yet ?

DougH

Thanks. I read some articles about spray shielding and etc and came to the conclusion that foil would probably be more effective and I already had it. It was pretty easy, just cut it into strips, used spray adhesive and criss-crossed them.

The sticker artwork is from a Hubble photo.

No Marc Bolan for me but I have been playing some Tommy Bolin with it. :icon_wink:

deaconque

Quote from: DougH on October 22, 2008, 07:40:41 AM
AstroTone Fuzz.

Hey Doug, what did you use for the bottom of that PVC enclosure.  Looks great by the way

DougH

I'll take a photo of the lid tonight. I forgot about that... Basically I used a 4" PVC drain grate. It's the actual drain part with the slats and openings on it. It has a sleeve that fits right into the cap, with a flanged end. The sleeve was a little too long (would extend into the box too far and interfere with the jacks) so I used a hack saw to trim it down. Then I screwed a 4" lid for a plastic electrical box to that for the actual lid and put rubber feet over the screws. I covered the inside with foil. I used 4 screws on the sides of the box (PVC cap) to hold the lid on. I didn't make provision for a battery, just used a DC jack, so no need to get inside (except to take photos  :icon_wink:).

This enclosure was basically an exercise in "What can I find at Lowes?" and cost about $3-$4.

John Lyons

Viva drain pipe caps!

These are ABS plastic.

They are about three times the thickness of the white one Doug used above.
Also taller. I cut it down and had to recess the jacks and pots since the box is so thick.
Foil shielding looks like poo but it's a lot better than spray on since it's much thicker.
You can get a roll of aluminum foil tape for $6 at lowes ( I use a lot of it...)
I sanded and polished these. Lotsa work there :(

Nods to Jack Orman for his use of these (white ones) and pics of them on the AMZ site

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

nelson

Quote from: kierc on October 22, 2008, 11:00:37 AM
My first enclosure! taken a while, but I'm pleased with it  ;D

Thanks to Nelson's Clone Theory project, and MarkM's enclosure etching tutorial  8)

Nice work!

Love the blue board.

I should probably build it myself again. I don't have mine anymore.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Gila_Crisis

Quote from: kierc on October 22, 2008, 12:07:07 PM
Cheers Gila_Crisis  ;D

Sounds wooshy and crazy!! haha
Mine has a deep hum (pretty sure its my power supply though), but I recorded a rubbish sample of it (from my camera, and my playing leaves ALOT to the imagination!! - I only recorded this to capture the back noise..) which you can see here : http://www.kierc.co.uk/clonetheory/theorysamples.html

I'm pretty sure if I knew how to play guitar then it would be a good effect, so I'm sure you'll like yours  8)  (also, I don't know if he has updated it since, but the regulator was backwards on the layout, so double check  :))

it's horrible the hum, btw the churus/vibrato effect sounds really fine! maybe on mine i'll add the double track switch too.

kierc

Quote from: Gila_Crisis on October 22, 2008, 05:41:25 PM
it's horrible the hum, btw the churus/vibrato effect sounds really fine! maybe on mine i'll add the double track switch too.

What does the double track mod do? also, how do you do it? as Nelson says the mods are incorrect?