jakehop

Andy, what is that thing!?

Dragonfly

Quote from: jakehop on October 25, 2008, 04:35:13 PM
Andy, what is that thing!?

Straight up Rangemaster -  ;)

jakehop

bean

Headbangers in leather! Let's all come together!

Gila_Crisis

rock'n'roll dragonfly!!!!

i just wondered once about building a rangemaster (but NPN and with a switch with different input cap values). maybe i'll think about it again :P

royzic

Quote from: Dragonfly on October 25, 2008, 02:52:11 PM
QUICK SOUND CLIP

Thats beautiful, you are an artist

I'm inspired :icon_cool:

P.S. That refrigerator amp is amazing !

;D

composition4

Okay I finally found my digital camera, which I've been meaning to do for a long time.  As well as taking better shots of my fridge amp as requested, I took the opportunity to take a pi of some other pedals I've made recently.

The red pedal is a Tremulus Lune tremolo.  Mustard coloured pedal is a Ross compressor.  The white and navy blue pedals with the red knobs are both Liquid Sunshines.  The dark dark blue one on the top right is a switching system I made (all hard-switched, no relays or active components).  It basically allows me to select one of three channels, and each channel can have a separate effects loop. I can also set it to switch the channel on my amp  to either clean or boost, for each individual channel.  I designed it because all of the other simple switchers I've seen require you to deselect one loop before selecting the next, otherwise both will be on at once.

The picture above is just a size comparison of the fridge amp I built against a Marshall head and my guitar and cab.

Amp half closed.  When I play it through the internal speaker with the lid fully closed, it gives an interesting tinny-but-muffled sound.  I guess the door acts as a tone control, in a way!

Close-up.

The back, I love the fake compressor lines on the fridge (came painted like that!).  The jack on the left is for an external speaker cab (automatically disengages the inbuilt speaker when plugged in).  The right jack is the input.

Sorry for such a long post!

Jonathan

asfastasdark

Quote from: Dragonfly on October 25, 2008, 02:52:11 PM
QUICK SOUND CLIP

P.S. That refrigerator amp is amazing !

;D

The way you arranged these parts makes me wonder: Is that the perfboard with no copper traces around holes?

And also a question: Besides providing visual mojo, why do you use carbon comps and other vintage parts so much (as opposed to metal film and more modern stuff)?

Dragonfly

Quote from: asfastasdark on October 25, 2008, 10:51:25 PM

The way you arranged these parts makes me wonder: Is that the perfboard with no copper traces around holes?

And also a question: Besides providing visual mojo, why do you use carbon comps and other vintage parts so much (as opposed to metal film and more modern stuff)?

Its old, old perf - thick, heavy duty stuff - no copper traces at all. The holes are large enough to feed the wires through for strain relief, which i like a lot. I wish I had more of this stuff - I'm being pretty selective of what builds I use it on.

As for the parts - I won't go into the "mojo argument" - I'll simply say that using NOS parts like this gives me the result (both audible and visual) that I am looking for.

yeeshkul

That looks excellent! Dragonfly did you paint it? Also, i've been looking for battery clips like that one - where did you get it? They sell just plastic ones here and they are crap ...

frokost

I was bored one day, and jumped on the swirly bandwagon. I didn't think I liked swirls, but seeing how this first one turned out, I think I'll do it some more  ;).

It'll become an MXR Envelope Filter one day.

EDIT: composition, those look great! Simple and stylish.

ACS

Here's a few pics of a work in progress - a TS808 I'm building for a friend.  Particularly proud of this one so far, as it fired up first try :)

Have got a few good ideas for graphics - watch this space!!

(Full, high res version of this image can be found here if anyone wants a closer look - 1.7MB tho, for the bandwidth challenged...)

deaconque

Quote from: composition4 on October 25, 2008, 10:39:29 PM

One of the labels on the A/B switcher looks like it could be for a chain saw  :D (CHN SW)

Amp half closed.  When I play it through the internal speaker with the lid fully closed, it gives an interesting tinny-but-muffled sound.  I guess the door acts as a tone control, in a way!

what's the guitar in the background?  it's got an interesting paint job.

[/quote]

fluoreszenz

Quote from: deaconque on October 26, 2008, 12:20:55 PM

what's the guitar in the background?  it's got an interesting paint job.

Ibanez Noodles NDM-1, Paint job = duck tape   ;D

solderman

Hallo
Meet The little Red Rooster. Its a Tremolo in my miniseries built in to Hammond 1950A since boxes.

Earlier I have posted  Mr Mini Man, A booster with No, Si and MOSFET clipping.
Next is a Fuzz of some kind (haven't decided yet)
A digital delay
A Hi gain distortion built a round a couple of J201
A tree nob mild dist like TS808 Or maybe the OCD
If i can cram it in a chorus of some kind.

//Solderman

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Renegadrian

Jonathan, thx so much for the pics you posted  after all this is the PICTURES! topic, and we also love to see lotsa pics of other works, don't we?!  :icon_wink:

I really appreciated that - now I have to find a decent tin box myself, apart from candy box...

Solderman, you should try the slapshot, I read it is a one knob-TS-clone, so it should fit well...Or add a pot for the gain and have a two-knobber which is nothing new to you...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Ben N

Two comments/questions to Andy on his beautious Rangemaster:
1) I love the way the two resistors come together diagonally--very reminiscent of plate resistors in a Fender.
2) The perty blue film capacitor--did the leads come bent like that, or did you do that yourself, and if so, was the purpose to dissipate some soldering heat away from the cap? (I always put a little spring-loaded heat sink or alligator clip on cap leads on the component side before soldering, for that reason. It has the added benefit that if I have to desolder for some reason, there is a bit of lead to left to work with.)
Anyway, nice job as always.

Jonathon, the Fridge Amp is way cool. That door idea was part of the original Pignose--they called the door the "tone control."
  • SUPPORTER