SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpencerPedals

Finished my second build today, a Tripple Fuzz:

and a shot with flash to almost give you an idea what light does to it:

The flash doesn't really do it justice, but for a ghetto-style build it looks pretty cool in-person.  My next few will be in Hammond-style enclosures, if I can ever get the toner transfer thing down.

ianmgull

Quote from: SpencerPedals on February 24, 2009, 06:03:16 PM

The flash doesn't really do it justice, but for a ghetto-style build it looks pretty cool in-person.  My next few will be in Hammond-style enclosures, if I can ever get the toner transfer thing down.

Nice job!!!! That's one of the first time I've ever been that impressed with a junction box build. I'm really digging the "knobs".

chi_boy

Quote from: free electron on February 24, 2009, 04:16:51 PM

The box is now painted and dries.

And here's my first 1590A pedal:

Those boards are amazing.   Layouts still amaze me.  They are like a form of art.  Unfortunately not everyone can appreciate the form.

Cheers.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

SpencerPedals

Quote from: ianmgull on February 24, 2009, 08:59:55 PM
Nice job!!!! That's one of the first time I've ever been that impressed with a junction box build. I'm really digging the "knobs".

Thanks very much.

beans_amps

Quote from: chi_boy on February 24, 2009, 09:34:41 PM
Quote from: free electron on February 24, 2009, 04:16:51 PM

Those boards are amazing.   Layouts still amaze me.  They are like a form of art.  Unfortunately not everyone can appreciate the form.

Cheers.

I can appreciate the art, and I am amazed.  Very nice work.
Don't Despair - Call Bean's Amp Repair

deaconque

Quote from: SpencerPedals on February 24, 2009, 06:03:16 PM

Nice build. Where'd you get those knobs from?

Insanekane

That Tripple Fuzz looks really good!

I've been fooling around with ething a lot.
This time my Classic Vibe Tele took a new aluguard.
Gotta do that control plate too from aluminum..

free electron

I think i'm one of them. For me the pcbs are just devices, tools sometimes useful to create an art.  But it is nice when someone wants a part of your pcb design as an 1mx1m painting on the wall, which happened to me a while ago :) 
On the other hand i like to base the name and graphics on the pedal, sometimes the way it works, on some story or inspiration, things that happened in the past. It's funny how you can incorporate things from completely different world into an electronic device. Which also happened to me latety, i got an idea for pedal while cooking ;)

There are many beautiful, amazing designs (and ideas!) in this thread and i realy enjoy looking through it again and again.

And here's the finished delay:

Piotr

deaconque

Quote from: Insanekane on February 25, 2009, 11:50:01 AM

I've been fooling around with ething a lot.
This time my Classic Vibe Tele took a new aluguard.
Gotta do that control plate too from aluminum..

Nice.  Did you use good old fashioned ferric chloride on that?

Insanekane

Yep, Pn'P sheet and FeCL

burdt

Quote from: free electron on February 25, 2009, 12:42:06 PM
I think i'm one of them. For me the pcbs are just devices, tools sometimes useful to create an art.  But it is nice when someone wants a part of your pcb design as an 1mx1m painting on the wall, which happened to me a while ago :) 
On the other hand i like to base the name and graphics on the pedal, sometimes the way it works, on some story or inspiration, things that happened in the past. It's funny how you can incorporate things from completely different world into an electronic device. Which also happened to me latety, i got an idea for pedal while cooking ;)

There are many beautiful, amazing designs (and ideas!) in this thread and i realy enjoy looking through it again and again.

And here's the finished delay:

Piotr

where you inspired by your W2s?   hehe, that is a nice design.
HUBRIS

free electron

Quote from: burdt on February 25, 2009, 01:29:57 PM
where you inspired by your W2s?   hehe, that is a nice design.
Not exatcly, a part of construction drawing made with obsolete now technique - blueprint.
Thanks!

SpencerPedals

Quote from: deaconque on February 25, 2009, 11:10:58 AM
Nice build. Where'd you get those knobs from?

Home Depot.  I cut a slot in the side with a Dremel engraving bit (cutting wheel would work well if you're careful), painted it, and sanded it back.  I used a heavy grit on them because they were way too shiny for the way the enclosure came out.  I thread the knobs onto a piece of rubbery conduit tubing, cut them flush, and then unscrew the tubing from the knob and cut pieces out of it (lengthwise) until the shaft fits into it.  It makes for a super-tight fit and you do NOT need set screws.  It's my take on an idea Aiden came up with earlier in this thread.

Quote from: Insanekane on February 25, 2009, 11:50:01 AM

Thanks!  That pickguard is great.  I was tossing around the idea of etching a pickguard for the next guitar I build; that made it a definite.  Where'd you get the guard?

Insanekane

Quote from: SpencerPedals on February 25, 2009, 03:00:31 PM

Thanks!  That pickguard is great.  I was tossing around the idea of etching a pickguard for the next guitar I build; that made it a definite.  Where'd you get the guard?

I bought 1.5 mm aluminum sheet and did it my self.  Total amount of the costs was about 7 euros.
Sharp Consepts sells aluminum pickguards. But I think 50 bucks is way, way too much for aluguard.
1.5mm thick aluminum is really easy to work with and takes couple of hours to cut and file.

petemoore

Did you have a capacitor value issue with your old Tele pickguard ?
  If so does the new PGuard eliminate it?
  The plain white plastic PG on my Tele was a like a third unwanted pickup, touch near on it and...sszzzttcracklessszzztckt ckt.zzsstchrackles..zz...Rice Krispies !
  I ~fixed the noisemaker by covering it with black leather, temporary and effective, I fear it'll beging to peel if brushed against very much.
  I made a wood one from spruce-top guitar material, that didn't work out either.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Zen

I think a leather pickguard would be cool.

Arn C.

Zen

those are too fancy for me, very cool, but too fancy.  My thought was more of a "biker jacket" distressed leather look.

Insanekane

Quote from: petemoore on February 26, 2009, 08:18:31 AM
  Did you have a capacitor value issue with your old Tele pickguard ?
  If so does the new PGuard eliminate it?
  The plain white plastic PG on my Tele was a like a third unwanted pickup, touch near on it and...sszzzttcracklessszzztckt ckt.zzsstchrackles..zz...Rice Krispies !
  I ~fixed the noisemaker by covering it with black leather, temporary and effective, I fear it'll beging to peel if brushed against very much.
  I made a wood one from spruce-top guitar material, that didn't work out either.

I didn't have any issues with the old pg. It was just too lame. And I wanted to go esquirish with this one.
I've never heard that pickguard would make any noises.
My Gibson LP althought made those weird snack crackle pop's. I guess it has something to do with static electricity and nitrolaquer.

petemoore

I've never heard that pickguard would make any noises.
  PD Sure...I played it, wondered what it was, used to not grab it maybe for that reason, then I read someone else [second hand info here] that tipped me to it, saying the laminate PG's [striped edge] don't do that, only the new plastic ones do.
  Then I put off doing anything about it, thought it through many times, decided to put a coat of leather on it, played it's crackle sound...leatherized it...no crackle except right around the edges.
  Black 'glove' leather looks pretty good on there, but I'm still thinking of alternatives...was easy...oversize piece glued on, dried, then the profile was cut with a little tension on the leather toward the outside.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.