News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

Quote from: tehfunk on March 08, 2009, 11:06:16 PM
I really like the appearance of your pedals, is it easy to do those decals? Also, what kind of paint do you use underneath and what kind for your clear coat? Thanks.

Thanks! :)

The decals are very easy - I feel a fool for leaving it so long. Laser print the design on, cut out of the sheet, soak in water, slide on, blot and smooth with kitchen paper.

Paint-wise I use Halfords car touch-up spray. Sand the enclosure, degrease with isopropanol, prime, bake, base colour, bake, more colour, bake, lacquer, bake. Then the decal, then two or three coats of lacquer (no baking!).

The one in the picture ha a white basecoat, then a splattery overspray of silver from too far away. It's almost like a flip-flop finish.

The French connection

Here's my last one. No graphic, label or paint, just metal brush effect. A dual booster, a SHO and a EH LPB2, with a 4P3T switch for selecting between SHO, LPB2 or Both in serie (SHO in LPB). Not the cleanest guts i've done.

Salut!

Dan

I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

CynicalMan

Quote from: Taylor on March 08, 2009, 11:31:32 PM
How do you have the switch setup - is it on unless you step on it? I always found this difficult to use, since to me it's natural that pressing should make your sound audible, and letting go should make silence, but the typical kill switch is the opposite. Of course, wiring it so that it is normally off would be a pain when you don't want to stutter, so you have to include a second switch to take the momentary out when you don't want to stutter.

What kind of switch is that?

It is on unless you step on it. The switch is a 1P2T momentary switch so, if I wanted to, I could add maybe a toggle switch to use the other pole and have a switchable normally off / normally on stutter pedal. I find this setup to be more useful, even if a bit unintuitive.

anchovie

My two most recent builds:

A Tonepad Ropez Phaser, Tonepad Corrrral Chorus and GGG PT-80 Delay in one nice chunky enclosure. The phaser has a 3PDT toggle to switch to a variable filter and knock out the dry signal, the chorus has switches for the vibrato and intensity mods and the switch on the delay adds a 47k resistor in series with the delay time pot to double it. I didn't have a TL022 for the chorus LFO and I'd read threads about needing a low-power opamp to avoid ticking so I used a TLC27L2 which I'd managed to get a bunch of really cheap. It's a low power version of the TLC272 that draws microamps rather than milliamps!

This is a Fuzz Face housed in an old sweetie tin. I used a pair of Russian GT311J germanium transistors and biased Q1 with a 68k resistor rather than 33k. It's a good way to get a really cheap enclosure and if I do this more often the money I save can pay for a nice set of false teeth when disposing of the contents of the tins takes its toll!  ;D
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Boogdish

Quote from: anchovie on March 09, 2009, 08:47:17 PM
My two most recent builds:

A Tonepad Ropez Phaser, Tonepad Corrrral Chorus and GGG PT-80 Delay in one nice chunky enclosure. The phaser has a 3PDT toggle to switch to a variable filter and knock out the dry signal, the chorus has switches for the vibrato and intensity mods and the switch on the delay adds a 47k resistor in series with the delay time pot to double it. I didn't have a TL022 for the chorus LFO and I'd read threads about needing a low-power opamp to avoid ticking so I used a TLC27L2 which I'd managed to get a bunch of really cheap. It's a low power version of the TLC272 that draws microamps rather than milliamps!

that's very cool man.  Add an LFO to your PT80 and you could potentially have 3 different means to vibrato in one enclosure.

Insanekane

Colorsound Overdrive, pretty good overdrive / booster.
Used MarkM's layout, 'cause i was too lazy  :D

Guts:

dano12

Here's a <1 watt MOSFET power amplifier built with an IRF510. Built an LPB-1 to act as the preamp and stuck the whole thing in an old floppy enclosure. :)

petemoore

Which one of these is Spock's dwelling?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

alteredsounds

Quote from: SonicVI on March 09, 2009, 10:43:30 AM
Barnes and Mullins Fuzz clone (aka: The Edwyn Collins fuzz)

Very well done! Really authentic look, I've got a real one kicking about and actually prefer the looks of yours! Nice Job!

npx

I'm very new to all of this, and there are so many awesome things in this thread. You folks make some amazing things!

Here are a few pics of the stuff I've made, mainly from lurking around this forum.

Red Llama – First etch attempt. The iron was too hot and the PNP started melting in one corner... but I continued anyway since I didn't have a laser printer to try again with. It had different knobs, but they wouldn't stay on so I pulled some off an old amp.

Atari Punk Console with body contacts and a momentary button. Etched the same night as the Red Llama. Actually I think this was done first – I mistakenly thought etching needed to be deep, so it got left in a little too long. Same crappy knobs.

4ms Tremulous Lune – Etched the next night.

A couple weeks later I decided to add the extra LFO and stomp to modulate the main speed.

Modified Ross Compressor.

Crunch Box with external presence control.

Yeah, one of them.

Green Ringer – I wanted it to look ugly, so I wrapped masking tape around the side and threw it in etchant. (No need for sanding before etching, yay!)

What else could it be? Wooly Mammoth.

Blue Box with octave switch. Built for a friend.

4ms Phaseur Fleur with same Escher design.

EA Tremolo. The writing (and fish eyes) on the Bluebox, Phaseur and EA Trem are actually the aluminium box showing through... they only look white in the pics.

jefe

Wow npx, those look real pretty. Very nice work... I was about to ask "how did you do X"? but never mind, I don't care anymore...

This thread is going to be the death of me. All these pretty boxes. I give up. I'm just gonna start going the "trashy looking" route with my builds. Maybe I'll slap a quick label on, maybe even with some colors in there...

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Renegadrian

Quote from: anchovie on March 09, 2009, 08:47:17 PM

This is a Fuzz Face housed in an old sweetie tin. I used a pair of Russian GT311J germanium transistors and biased Q1 with a 68k resistor rather than 33k. It's a good way to get a really cheap enclosure and if I do this more often the money I save can pay for a nice set of false teeth when disposing of the contents of the tins takes its toll!  ;D

LOL  :icon_lol:
I just give the candies to my grandmother...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

deaconque

Quote from: Insanekane on March 10, 2009, 05:51:42 AM
Colorsound Overdrive, pretty good overdrive / booster.
Used MarkM's layout, 'cause i was too lazy  :D

Guts:

Beautiful.  Is this an etch?  If so, it's super clean.  Good job.

npx- great job.  those look really nice.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

MarcoMike

Quote from: npx on March 10, 2009, 12:28:38 PM

All your work is just beautiful!! but I guess you can tell this is my favourite  ;D ;D and really fits with the idea of compressing...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Insanekane

Quote from: deaconque on March 10, 2009, 12:57:43 PM

Beautiful.  Is this an etch?  If so, it's super clean.  Good job.

Thank you. Yes, it is an etch.

That furry thing is hilarious  :D

Zen

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 10, 2009, 01:01:42 PM

:icon_eek:

it looks like a creature from the Cantina at Mos Eisley

excellent  ;D

frequencycentral

Quote from: Zen on March 10, 2009, 05:15:16 PM
Quote from: frequencycentral on March 10, 2009, 01:01:42 PM

:icon_eek:

it looks like a creature from the Cantina at Mos Eisley

excellent  ;D

Reminds me of Tribbles - remember them?

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

tehfunk

Crunch Box with external presence control.

I'm a little confused here, what method did you use to do these two, the phaseur, ea trem, and octave. Are they all labels put directly on the aluminum or on a clear cloat which is directly on the aluminum or what? They look amazing, and sound really complicated with the letters being aluminum not paint. Also, umm, what clear did you use? Thanks.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

Renegadrian

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 10, 2009, 05:43:59 PM
Reminds me of Tribbles - remember them?

reminds me of chewbecca from star wars...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!