Quote from: frequencycentral on March 10, 2009, 01:01:42 PM
Quote from: npx on March 10, 2009, 12:28:38 PM
What else could it be? Wooly Mammoth.

:icon_eek:

it looks like a creature from the Cantina at Mos Eisley

excellent  ;D

Reminds me of Tribbles - remember them?

Looks like Shatner sorting his toupee collection in that photo~
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.

Boogdish

Here's my modified version of the E&MM Auto Dampner, I call it "The Swell Swell."  The mods are an added sensitivity control (variable resistor in between the buffer and envelope follower circuit), an effects loop (a switching jack between the buffer and the VCA), a time switch (I changed the 2.2uf cap holding the envelope charge to a 1uf and this switch puts a 2.2uf cap in parallel with it) and I changed the two 270 ohm resistors to ground coming off of the inverting/noninverting inputs of the VCA into a 1k trimpot to ground as per the LM13600D datasheet, this reduced distortion and also affected output level some so I was able to get it at very near unity gain.  I built it with the momentary footswitch for engaging/bypass because it sounded like more fun and I'd never used a momentary switch in an effect before.  I'm really glad to get it off of my breadboard finally:

(I got to repair a Foxx Tone Machine a couple months ago, and it's design inspired me to put my knobs on the side for this)

I don't usually do gutshots, but this was less of a ratsnest than usual. 

I might record some soundclips for this tomorrow night, it's really fun.  I'm going to need to work on my hand/foot coordination some more to get the most out of that momentary switch though.

Taylor

Please do record some clips. I have been considering this circuit as part of a modular synth-style effects case. I'm interested in a couple things in particular: what's the slowest attack possible? Also, is it possible to turn off the dampening/decay part of the circuit and just have attack delay?

npx

Quote from: tehfunk on March 10, 2009, 06:59:29 PM
Quote from: npx on March 10, 2009, 12:28:38 PM
Modified Ross Compressor.

Crunch Box with external presence control.

I'm a little confused here, what method did you use to do these two, the phaseur, ea trem, and octave. Are they all labels put directly on the aluminum or on a clear cloat which is directly on the aluminum or what? They look amazing, and sound really complicated with the letters being aluminum not paint. Also, umm, what clear did you use? Thanks.

Yeah they're clear labels not paint... thus the non-complicated silver lettering! ;D I was originally going to etch a more simple design on the Compressor and the Crunch box, but the damn PNP wouldn't take to the box. As I had to pay someone to print the PNP in the first place (I had no laser printer) and was impatient, I wasn't keen to waste more time doing it again and grabbed a pack of clear adhesive inkjet labels. (Office One brand from Kmart in Australia.)

The Compressor and Crunch Box have labels cut out to fit the shape of the top of the enclosures. The Crunch Box looked kinda dumb with a blue label and metal sides so I just coloured them in with a sharpie! Then they were both covered with 2 part epoxy resin. (The stuff I had lying around was called "glass coat".) When it cured, the top was nice and level, but the Crunch Box sides had a lot of really high bits from not wiping them off for long enough so I roughly sanded the sides down a bit, hence the psuedo dodgy-half-sanded flame type result.

The phase, trem and blue box are all the same method but their labels go over the sides as well. The epoxy/label finish is quick, (as in one coat) and easy to do and looks great, but probably isn't going to hold up to abuse very well without chipping or the label starting to lift. The full labels especially on the corners. If the pedals stay velcroed to a pedalboard they'll be fine though. Beats the hell out of days and days of painting and sanding!

TIP: Don't touch the printed labels (even when they are "dry") with wet hands or they will run. 100% DRY fingers are ok, but if they get sweaty or slightly oily, the design will smudge. I had anticipated this and tried spraying them lightly with art fixative to prevent it, but the fixative itself made the ink run! Also, don't go crazy on tightening jacks and pot screws if you don't want the epoxy to start to crack. Make them firm so they won't move, but don't over tighten.

Insanekane

I just finished my KOB  :D
Really good sound and super versatile.
From clean boost to nice overdrive to really thick distortion. I luv it.

It isn't the cleaniest build I've done, but here's guts:

DWBH

Is that a trimpot, on the Presence control?
Nice, how did you put it there?

Insanekane

Quote from: DWBH on March 11, 2009, 12:05:59 PM

Yep, I found from my local store very small cermet trimpots.
Then I drilled 6.5mm hole and mounted them with epoxy.

jefe

Quote from: Insanekane on March 11, 2009, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: DWBH on March 11, 2009, 12:05:59 PM

Yep, I found from my local store very small cermet trimpots.
Then I drilled 6.5mm hole and mounted them with epoxy.

Very cool! I'm thinking that would be great for any kind of control where you might want to tweak it *sometimes*, but have it stay put the rest of the time.

jefe

Big Muff Pi Triangle with two switchable mods (flat mids & boosted mids, and various diode lifts). Enclosure is some sort of old electrical box cover I found at work - I had to make the base from scratch. Finish is just a inkjet-printed sticker, slapped it on there... no clear coat or anything, if it gets scratched, I don't care. I'm sick of working on this thing! lol

Taylor

Very neat box. I wish my job had cool stuff like that lying around.

Insanekane

Quote from: jefe on March 11, 2009, 12:21:19 PM
Very cool! I'm thinking that would be great for any kind of control where you might want to tweak it *sometimes*, but have it stay put the rest of the time.

It's guite handy, 'cause you dont have to open it to tweak it.
I did same thing with Orange squeezer.

momo

Here are a couple builds, as you can see, Im not really good at finishing...but they are mine and I like the worn out look...lol ;-))

Sweet Bassman Ruby on 12v d battery. I got lucky with this one, the 10 inch spkr sounds real warm.

This is a Little Rebel amp. After tinkering for months on this one, I finally finished it. This amp has had some interest but I have not seen alot of builds. One thing to mention, and its on the original german paper, if you are not using it for a while, take off the battery as it will drain out! Other than that its a nice overdrive/distortion.Reminds me a bit of the  Highway 89 box.

PNP FuzzFace with possible knob, if I get it to fit. The finish is a photographed pickguard combined with an iron-on transparent plastic.

This will be a Tremolo, same type finish.

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

Quote from: jefe on March 11, 2009, 12:39:42 PM
Big Muff Pi Triangle with two switchable mods (flat mids & boosted mids, and various diode lifts). Enclosure is some sort of old electrical box cover I found at work - I had to make the base from scratch. Finish is just a inkjet-printed sticker, slapped it on there... no clear coat or anything, if it gets scratched, I don't care. I'm sick of working on this thing! lol

That enclosure is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I don't suppose there's a part number on it ?? I'm seriously jealous  :icon_mrgreen:

jefe

Quote from: 1878 on March 11, 2009, 07:42:01 PM
That enclosure is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I don't suppose there's a part number on it ?? I'm seriously jealous  :icon_mrgreen:

Diamond "RE" logo on the front (I grind it off):

Numbering inside:

32-165-A

and on smaller yellow box:

20-270-A

Good luck... I've tried - if you find anything, please pm me!

8)

beans_amps

Quote from: 1878 on March 11, 2009, 07:42:01 PM
Quote from: jefe on March 11, 2009, 12:39:42 PM

That looks like the 'doghouse' or 'peckerhead' cover from a three phase electrical motor.  Get in the phone book look up motor rewinders or motor repair.  Ask the guy if you can drop by and look for some salvage. 

Sean
Don't Despair - Call Bean's Amp Repair

SpencerPedals

/quote]
Quote from: jefe on March 11, 2009, 08:15:45 PM

Good luck... I've tried - if you find anything, please pm me!

8)

Me too, please!  Those are pretty awesome DIY enclosures.  That stickered one looks great!

jefe

Quote from: beans_amps on March 11, 2009, 10:20:17 PM
That looks like the 'doghouse' or 'peckerhead' cover from a three phase electrical motor.  Get in the phone book look up motor rewinders or motor repair.  Ask the guy if you can drop by and look for some salvage. 

Sean

Ha! You're right... just took a stroll around the shop... a lot of machine motors have similar covers on them. The covers I have probably came from passenger train motors... cool, thanks for the tip!

Just a word of caution to anyone thinking about going this route - the cover was easy to work with, but the base / bottom cover that I had to make was VERY time consuming. A lot of cutting, grinding, sanding, drilling, tapping... I probably could have completed three pedals in the time it took me to make this one pedal. Labor intensive - you've been warned! lol...

SpencerPedals

I was guessing that was the case, but those of us that don't have access to extensive metalworking equipment could make something else work (obviously at the expense of some looks), if we can find out where to pick those up  ;)

Thomeeque

Just another arrival to growing candy stomp-box family ;)

click for more..

Anybody curious about technique I used to get this wonderful flower-power paint?  :icon_mrgreen:

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

musiclikscreams

Quote from: Thomeeque on March 12, 2009, 11:56:03 AM
Just another arrival to growing candy stomp-box family ;)

click for more..

Anybody curious about technique I used to get this wonderful flower-power paint?  :icon_mrgreen:

T.
i've always wondered how these hold up wen used?  do they every collapse on u or is the switch close enough to the edge that the side supports it?