News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmwreck

Quote from: EBK on July 30, 2017, 12:43:59 PM
Looks amazing!  One question though.  Do you have your lock washers for the toggles on the outside of the enclosure?

Yup, because I don't have any other washers and the I don't want the nut to be directly on top of the finish, hence the washer.

EBK

Quote from: jmwreck on July 30, 2017, 09:09:19 PM
Quote from: EBK on July 30, 2017, 12:43:59 PM
Looks amazing!  One question though.  Do you have your lock washers for the toggles on the outside of the enclosure?

Yup, because I don't have any other washers and the I don't want the nut to be directly on top of the finish, hence the washer.
Very good then.  I'll go back to just saying, looks amazing!  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

thermionix

Finally got my Big Muff done*.  It was actually quite a PITA, but I don't want to bore you folks with the details of my struggles.  It's the Kit Rae '73 Gilmour version, but with 2N5088s.  Sounds killer.  The 3-pos mini toggle selects between stock (scooped) eq, tone bypass, and flat eq.

I did some light 2-D etching that didn't quite turn out, but I don't really care.  I won't say what I labelled above the controls...probably best that it's not very legible.

Was definitely built on a tight budget.  I already had everything needed to breadboard it, then spent about $15 to make it an actual pedal.  The 1977 CTS pots were used but in great shape, I think I robbed them from an old Peavey something years ago.  They have nylon D shafts, for that authentic vintage BMP mojo.

*The power jack I have in there is screwy (loose spinning lug), so it's not wired in, just filling the hole.  At some point I'll get another, wire it in with a filter cap and diode, and a better quality battery snap.

digi2t

QuoteThey have nylon D shafts, for that authentic vintage BMP mojo.

Plastic does indeed sound better than aluminium. It has a softer knee.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Fender3D

Quote from: digi2t on July 31, 2017, 06:18:32 AM
Plastic does indeed sound better than aluminium. It has a softer knee.

...and D shaft has that linear response...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Plexi

thermionix: that BMP looks nice!
Keep minimalistic, like my Rams Head.

Did you use this schematic?
http://www.bigmuffpage.com/images/schematics/1976_BMP_Schem_Mids_Switch_Mods.jpg
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

thermionix

Quote from: Fender3D on July 31, 2017, 06:46:39 AM
...and D shaft has that linear response...

Chicks dig the D shaft.  8)

Plexi

I used the same '73 schematic.
The most scooped if you use the stock values.

How do you wire the switch? on-off-on dpdt?

thermionix

Quote from: Plexi on July 31, 2017, 12:57:48 PM
How do you wire the switch? on-off-on dpdt?

Exactly.  The middle position lifts the ground for the tone bypass (got that from AMZ).  Switch to the right adds a 6n8 in parallel with the 4n for the "flat" eq.  Can't remember where I saw the recommendation to change the 4n to 10n, but I wanted to retain the stock sound also.  I used Duncan's TSC also and tried it all out on the breadboard.  Pretty cool.

drteming

Submitted for your approval.  Standard Fuzz Face build, my second pedal (the first one was an Axis Face Si MK3).  Not an efficient use of space, but gotta love the turret board.  Q1 is a 2N1305 with leakage of 50 uA and hFE of 84.  Q2 is a 2N1309 with leakage of 71 uA and hFE of 116.  The transistors are in heat shrink because the case is the base.  The 470R resistor and the 2.2 uF electrolytic are bugging me because they are not lined up properly :P.

vigilante397

Quote from: drteming on August 01, 2017, 10:56:50 PM

Great looking build, I very much approve.

Quote from: drteming on August 01, 2017, 10:56:50 PM
Not an efficient use of space, but gotta love the turret board.

No one said it has to be, especially when turret board is involved 8) Awesome > Efficient
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

snarblinge

you could stand to loose the bonus wire, linking the input/output jacks, the case is doing that for you. nice build, and teh heatshrink looks classy.
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

digi2t

Quote from: snarblinge on August 02, 2017, 03:15:32 AM
you could stand to loose the bonus wire, linking the input/output jacks, the case is doing that for you. nice build, and teh heatshrink looks classy.

No, keep the wire. It's insurance in case a jack every come loose. Which they do over time with much use.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

EBK

Quote from: digi2t on August 02, 2017, 06:15:36 AM

No, keep the wire. It's insurance in case a jack every come loose. Which they do over time with much use.
Or, do what I do and isolate the input jack with some shoulder washers so you need the wire. 

(I think I might be the only person who does this, so it could just be my personal brand of crazy.  :icon_wink:)

By the way, I'd say that is an efficient use of space.  Techniques like turret board are more about thoughtfulness than compactness, in my opinion.  Anyway, I think it looks great.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

drteming

If I do that, the ground tabs will be empty, and my anal retentive nature will not allow that :D.

Plexi

Very clean, drteming
I love that kind of builds.

And welcome!

duck_arse

+1 approve, nice first post, and another welcome. (ever thought of doing cordwood?)
"Bring on the nonsense".

stallik

Quote from: EBK on August 02, 2017, 06:34:00 AM
Or, do what I do and isolate the input jack with some shoulder washers so you need the wire. 
This actually makes good sense to me, forcing you to think good connection rather than hope for it while leaving a single route to earth
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

drteming

Thanks everybody for your kind words.  This diy pedal business...this is a deep rabbit hole I just fell into.