News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapp Brannigan

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 21, 2017, 03:26:37 PM
This is still kind of a work in progress. It works, but it looks like I'm going to need shielded wire in a few places I wasn't thinking about ::) But anyway, this is my Matchles Hotbox clone. I have a bit of a Matchless fetish, so I've always wanted one, but $400 for a used one vs. $100 or so for parts is kind of a no-brainer :P I'm going to unbox it so I can re-do some of the wiring and so I can finish the box, but this is what it look like now (without the bottom, obviously):

If it's not a secret, what kind of problems do you have that you need shielded wires? Is it kinda whistle or lf hum? AFAIR, Hotbox is not skullg-grinding hi-gainer. First impression says it may be the transformer which is too close to tonestack and grid wires, which are quite sensitive. If it is low freq hum, there is a good trick to get rid of it: a 1/2 watt trimmer with 1 and 3 lugs soldered to heater leads of transformer, and 2 lug connected to ground. If you turn the trimmer in some position the hum will disappear. Some kind of artificial midpoint (I don't know how exactly translate this term into English).

vigilante397

It's a high pitched squeal. I've had that problem on a couple amp builds and either shielding or moving high gain lines has worked wonders. I'm sure the power transformer placement is a factor as well, but of course I drilled everything before the transformer showed up and it was bigger than I was led to believe so that's the only place it will fit, and it barely fits there :-\

What you mentioned is often referred to as an artificial center tap and can also be achieved with a pair of resistors from the heaters to ground (which I did in this buuld). Merlin (valvewizard) refers to a balancing pot pike that as a "humdinger."
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Zapp Brannigan

If it squeals, mayebe 100-220 pf cap between plate and cathode of 1st cascade would help?

thermionix

Lead dress first.  "Cheats" if all else fails.

vigilante397

The lead dress is a terrible mess :icon_redface: this was very much a case of building the plane in the air, I was just too darn excited to wait and do everything right :P so I'll re-do a lot (probably most) of the wiring, and if that doesn't take care of it I'll try a cap like you suggested.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Telvis

RUBY MINI AMP 2X2

EBK

I built a second Clone Theory in a 1590B.  I'm posting pics of this one only because I think it turned out much better than my first build.

Here's the boards, the "dry fit", and the necessary lid modification:

The rest is really just wires and gaffers tape, which I can show if you really want to see it.... 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

Very nice build, Eric.  Wall-to-wall vero: Dino would be proud.  ;D

(Did you post a layout, btw?  Let's see how my search-fu goes...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

PMowdes

Frostwave funk-a-duck envelope filter, another one from Dino's archive.  Just a few loose ends to tidy up

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

lars-musik

That's very neat build and enclosure!
Quote from: EBK on August 24, 2017, 11:54:40 PM

I haven't posted anything here for a long time. Now I proudly present my doubly cloned Clone of a Timmy! The TMMY/JRY.

EBK

Quote from: lars-musik on August 25, 2017, 06:18:15 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on August 25, 2017, 03:16:02 AM
Very nice build, Eric.  Wall-to-wall vero: Dino would be proud.  ;D

(Did you post a layout, btw?  Let's see how my search-fu goes...)
Thanks, guys!

Layout is based largely on this:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/05/electro-harmonix-clone-theory.html?m=1
I moved the electrolytic caps slightly so they can lay down.  Large film caps are moved for the same reason but still go to the same holes.  I also corrected two cap values per Scruffie's research, added corner cutaways, and made the charge pump board slightly wider so it is lower.
  • SUPPORTER

Luke51411

Memento delay from lectric-fx with added modulation, completed with alcohol inks and a sticker I bought in a Zapatista tienda in Mexico. My favorite of my alcohol ink finishes yet! I got quite a bit of the red on my hands that I couldn't get off. A few coworkers asked if I had just gutted a deer  :icon_lol:

Telvis

drteming

Smallest turret board.  Just a dummy resistive load for my 15W so I can use headphones late at night.  Output to an O2 amp.

drteming

Here's the top side.  It's an old Pentium 4 heatsink.  Thermal paste in the middle, 4 drops of super glue at the corners.  Overkill?  Why, yes!

Benoi31

Quote from: lars-musik on August 25, 2017, 06:18:15 AM
Quote from: EBK on August 24, 2017, 11:54:40 PM

I haven't posted anything here for a long time. Now I proudly present my doubly cloned Clone of a Timmy! The TMMY/JRY.

Wow man!
Amazing!
Can we have a gutshot of this beauty?

EBK

What size enclosure is that?

I agree.  I want to see the guts.  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER

Plexi

I bet it's a 125B  :)
Which painting method you use?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

lars-musik

Thanks for your interest.
Yes, it is a 125B and it is reverse etched (should post it over there, too).

I  was a bit reluctant with posting the guts here, because I have already done a Version 2 with pots and switches onboard but I sold my only copy of the new one without taking pictures of the inside. So here you'll get the guts of the one posted above (two boards inside, both layed out for 1590a) and an image of my Version 2.

drteming

Finally finished the double valvecaster.  No much of a finish, just clear coat over raw aluminum and ink jet transparent stickers.  Definite function over form (or just laziness :P).