SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gila_Crisis

nice cat!!! did you build it too???  :icon_mrgreen:

Mark Hammer

I was originally waiting to have this finished before posting it, but I'm just busting to show people, and I won't have another chance to do so until well after New Year's, so.....

I got tired of spending big bucks on chassis and switches, of trying to find a time when the weather was right for painting them without causing too many fumes to enter the kitchen, and trying to figure out a system of linking them together.  A few years ago I stumbled onto some nice black anodized 2.5 x 4" aluminum faceplates for 25 cents each, so I bought a couple of dozen, and planned to use them for some sort of modular synth.  Eventually, I figured the best use was for a modular effects setup.

First I prepared a chassis out of cheap wood and right-angle aluminum stock I bought at the hardware store.  I drilled the holes in the channeling and lined the inside with copper shim stock I also managed to find really cheap locally.  I made two of these chassis and covered them in some naugahyde-like stuff I got at the local fabric store.

Each chassis accommodates 12 modules that can be easily unscrewed and moved around.  For "finishing" the faceplates, I bought a white paint pen and drew freehand.  Not the greatest penmanship, but it looks nice enough.  Instead of 1/4" phone jacks and pricey 3PDT stompswitches, I went with 1/8" mini phone jacks and simple DPDT toggles for bypass.  The direction of the toggle indicates on/bypass so no need for an LED.  The faceplate, jacks and switch ran me about $3 per module, which starts to add up over a few dozen modules.  Patch cords are made from the stereo mini-phone to dual mono miniphone cables I buy at the dollar store.  I clip off the stereo end and solder on a second 1/8" plug on the free end.  So, for about $1@, I get a nice male-to-male patch cable with a molded plug on one end.

Above, you can see that I have a module containing a splitter/mixer (1-in-2-out and 2-in-1-out) and another containing 2 of the EPFM CMOS switches (well, to be honest...set up for 2 of those to-be-built switches).  Bypass comes in two forms: the toggle switch on each module, and the "yellow" switch modules that each will contain two nondedicated remotely switchable bypasses. These are "nestable", which means I can insert one effectively "inside" the other, and hit one switch to cancel a whole cluster of modules lined up to that specific switch circuit, or hit another remote footswitch and bypass/enable a subset within that larger group.

Though I haven't built it yet, the plan is to have adjacent momentary and latching footswitches. I had an arrangement like this some 20 years ago for a rackmount unit I made for myself (and since sold), and quite like it. The way the swityching modules work is that if you use a momentary switch, the effect (or group) is only engaged as long as you hold your foot down. The second you lift your foot, it bypasses. Alternatively, you can use a parallel latching footswitch and it will stay on even until you step down again. The momentary thing is really useful for "punch-in" effects. A nice textbook example might be the single-phrase use of a ring modulator for the old ZZ Top nugget "Cheap Sunglasses". The momentary switch makes it possible to achieve studio-like effects like that. Another usage I like is to feed the delay-only output of a delay line to one input of the 2-input mixer you'll see on the upper right of one of the chassis. The splitter output goes to a switch module, and to the input of the delay line (but does not return to the switch). This lets me send a feed to the delay line only when I step on the momentary footswitch, and the delay output always gets blended in. So, I can play a riff and have the recirculating delay/echo continue until it fades out, while I move on to other notes that DON'T get delayed.

In the interests of openness and transparency, I have to show you how damn ugly and unfinished it is on the inside.

The red/black wire pair from each module will naturally go to an internal power supply distribution strip.  I'l probably use a screw-terminal arrangement for easy-but-secure connection and disconnection.  One of the chassis is eventually going to have a spring reverb inside it as well.

foxfire

well what can i say Mr. Mark Hammer? that it awesome.

moro

Quote from: foxfire on December 20, 2007, 12:18:24 PM
well what can i say Mr. Mark Hammer? that it awesome.

Yes, it's humbling. I am in awe.

Hanglow

Now that is why god invented DIY.  :o

Is that a ross phaser in the bottom left? Do you like it? I want another phaser, I only have a 4ms phaseur fluer at the moment which is a nice effect but doesn't do the classic phase sound particularly well. So I was either going to go for a phase 90 type or a small stone type, or the ross from tonepad with maybe an extra board that they sell as well.

Mark Hammer

The Ross is excellent.  It is a ridiculously trouble-free and inexpensive build.  The one shown has a vibrato switch, variable wet-level for subtler sounds, a bit more regen than normal, and the phase-filter option.  I have others with variable sweep width, variable output level (with a bit of boost if wanted), and 4/8 stage selection.  Because the circuit, and the format I've adopted, are so inexpensive, I have another that is set up for Uni-Vibing only (which it does well).  Honestly, people should be buying this board from Francisco like bags of potato chips.

Hanglow

Thanks, I shall purchase it forthwith.  I'm sure I'll do a few of your mods to it as well ;D

moro

Where do you get the LM13600 for the Ross? Mouser, Smallbear, and Digikey all don't seem to have it.

Mark Hammer

Smallbear has LM13600s.  That's where I get mine.

moro

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 20, 2007, 05:04:56 PM
Smallbear has LM13600s.  That's where I get mine.

The closest thing I can find is the NJM13600D. Is that the same thing?

Hanglow

I think they are the same, just made by jrc.

moro

Quote from: Hanglow on December 20, 2007, 06:42:26 PM
I think they are the same, just made by jrc.

Cool. Thank you!

hairyandy

Mark,

That's badass!!! I can just imagine the looks I'd get if I showed up to rehearsal with that monster!  Happy Holidays from chilly Ohio to cold, and I'm sure snowy, Ottawa.

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

kurtlives

Is Mark from Ottawa?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Mark Hammer

Uh-huh.  But not the one in Kansas ( http://www.ottawakansas.net/ ).  I'm in the one in Ontario....the evil one.

$uperpuma

a couple of the latest ones, a wooly mammoth clone, I love this with bass...
and a Big Muff mostly Green Russian specs
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

michal_k

nice wooly mammoth, i'm also building one :D

cloudscapes

just finished my ringmod

it's also my first pcb etch. the led was hacked in at the last minute as I forgot about it as I was planning the pcb and wiring! what's amazing is that theres zero pop (amazing for me)! I took great care with the enclosure as well. handes, washed, and applied self-etching (I think) primer. then a couple coats of white emanel, baked, printed the design on sticker paper, and applied a few coats of big manly truck and SUV clearcoat. :)

it was hard fitting stuff. next time I'm doing my PCBs narrow and on their side, like when I was using stripboards. even if I have to use more than one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

kurtlives

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 21, 2007, 12:17:28 PM
Uh-huh.  But not the one in Kansas ( http://www.ottawakansas.net/ ).  I'm in the one in Ontario....the evil one.
Cool, I'm from Toronto :icon_twisted:
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Fuzzy-Train

^^ Awesome job man! The design of the enclosure is really cool and original... much like all the other ones you've made.

Are those knobs these 1/2"diam. ones from SB:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=547
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom