Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

ambulancevoice

hey! its the 200th page!!! PARTY!!.....

eh...

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Hamfist

Quote from: ambulancevoice on December 25, 2007, 10:05:23 PM
whats the etched dod looking pedal under it????

It's another DOD 250.  I'll post pics when it's done.  It's my first acceptable etching attempt. 

RedHouse

Quote from: cloudscapes on December 23, 2007, 04:19:20 PM
just finished my ringmod

it's also my first pcb etch. the led was hacked in at the last minute as I forgot about it as I was planning the pcb and wiring! what's amazing is that theres zero pop (amazing for me)! I took great care with the enclosure as well. handes, washed, and applied self-etching (I think) primer. then a couple coats of white emanel, baked, printed the design on sticker paper, and applied a few coats of big manly truck and SUV clearcoat. :)

it was hard fitting stuff. next time I'm doing my PCBs narrow and on their side, like when I was using stripboards. even if I have to use more than one.

What PCB did you etch? (your own or another's)

JoeGuitar

Quote from: Hamfist on December 25, 2007, 02:38:20 PM
Evel Knievel DOD 250 (grey - MarkM layout).  The blue is much more *BLUE* than it looks in the pics, but I'm no photographer.

Hamfist -

That's a great looking swirl!  Any chance starting a new thread to show how it's done?

Joe

cloudscapes

Quote from: jakenold on December 24, 2007, 04:00:54 PM
Cloudscapes, that's a really nice piece of work. And a great fit too!

I like having big PCB's. I've made PCB-templates in my design tool, that fit B and BB boxes, with room in the bottom for the switch, the two jacks and the battery. That way it's easy to plan your builds, and if you make a new libary for you tall things (transistors, caps, etc.), so there's room for them to lie down, you can fit the PCB over the pots easy. That way you'll also get short wires, if you do it, solder side up.

thanks!
I can see how simple it is working with big PCBs. I guess cause I'm used to having 10+ pedals on my board means I like to have them as small as possible. the PCB template idea is a really good one! I'm still learning :)

Quote from: RedHouse on December 26, 2007, 10:33:39 AM
What PCB did you etch? (your own or another's)

just my own
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

jakenold

Yeah, it's all about real estate  :D

I have a pretty simple setup - 5 effects, and a pretty big board - so I have the luxury of using big enclosures.

I'm learning too, I got the idea from the common Boss and Ibanez effects, where the PCB's fit so nicely, and they too are single sided.

kurtlives

Quote from: cloudscapes on December 23, 2007, 04:19:20 PM
just finished my ringmod

it's also my first pcb etch. the led was hacked in at the last minute as I forgot about it as I was planning the pcb and wiring! what's amazing is that theres zero pop (amazing for me)! I took great care with the enclosure as well. handes, washed, and applied self-etching (I think) primer. then a couple coats of white emanel, baked, printed the design on sticker paper, and applied a few coats of big manly truck and SUV clearcoat. :)

it was hard fitting stuff. next time I'm doing my PCBs narrow and on their side, like when I was using stripboards. even if I have to use more than one.
Do you notice a big difference using sheilded wire?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

cloudscapes

Quote from: kurtlives on December 26, 2007, 06:31:21 PM
Do you notice a big difference using sheilded wire?

usually I don't, but I play it safe, it doesn't do any harm. once I did have osc bleed (in another pedal) in the signal because it was messy and there was a lot of wires crossing each other. I changed it to shielded and a lot of it went away. I doubt it helps in every case, or makes a huge difference in some designs, but I like to cover some of the bases ahead of time if I have debug the build and try to get rid of some noise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

jakenold

Besides, shielded wire are good for directing other cables, as they are fairly stirdy. That way you can have a very clean build.

Jake

Hamfist

Thanks!  I just got the basics from here:  http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm but use a smaller bucket.

You need a white base coat.  Powder coated boxes are fine.  There's really no secret magic or anything involved.  Mostly it's just practice, and the willingness to make a mess.  Different brands of paint and different colors need different amounts of thinner (I use mineral spirits to thin).  Some brands of paint don't work well at all.  I've had bad luck with Plastikote and Rustoleum.  My favorite is Krylon Short Cuts if you can find it.  Testors works fine.  Black and white seem to be the most difficult colors to get right for whatever reason. 

A couple of things... DON'T pull the box back up through the paint after you dip.  Move the leftover floating paint out of the way first.  If you screw up, wipe the paint off the box with mineral spirits and start over.  I put a THICK clear coat on, then wetsand and polish.

But again, practice and experiment.  That's the main thing.         

Quote from: JoeGuitar on December 26, 2007, 11:07:01 AM

Hamfist -

That's a great looking swirl!  Any chance starting a new thread to show how it's done?

Joe

Nitefly182

Fleetdog

Quote from: Hamfist on December 26, 2007, 08:27:12 PM
You need a white base coat.  Powder coated boxes are fine.  There's really no secret magic or anything involved.  Mostly it's just practice, and the willingness to make a mess.  Different brands of paint and different colors need different amounts of thinner (I use mineral spirits to thin).  Some brands of paint don't work well at all.  I've had bad luck with Plastikote and Rustoleum.  My favorite is Krylon Short Cuts if you can find it.  Testors works fine.  Black and white seem to be the most difficult colors to get right for whatever reason. 

How do you get the color into the liquid if your color is spray paint?  My first thought was to just spray the surface, but you're also talking about thinning the paint so that made me think you are getting the paint out of the can, thinning it, then putting it in the water.

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: bean on December 25, 2007, 03:28:09 PM
Quote from: Valoosj on December 25, 2007, 12:59:26 PM
And what is the max delay time?

I think it is 580ms. You get a bit of noise at max delay, but otherwise it is a great sounding delay.
It will give clean repeats up to about 300ms, longer delays will get distorted. But over 2 seconds of delay is easily possible (just replace the delaypot with a 250k B pot). Lots of noise...but still usuable if  you don't play clean 24/7.

Hamfist

Spray paint won't work.  Use brush-on paint.

Quote from: Fleetdog on December 26, 2007, 11:16:42 PM
Quote from: Hamfist on December 26, 2007, 08:27:12 PM

How do you get the color into the liquid if your color is spray paint?  My first thought was to just spray the surface, but you're also talking about thinning the paint so that made me think you are getting the paint out of the can, thinning it, then putting it in the water.

Barcode80

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: exhausted on December 28, 2007, 06:55:51 AM

I need more info on that paintjob! Awesome, how did you do that?

exhausted

thank you.

it's stuff from a craft store.  i crazy glued scrapbooking letters to the case for the labelling.  then painted the whole thing with copper paint and sprayed it with the solution to age it.

it comes in a kit.
http://www.modernoptions.com/

Auke Haarsma

thnx. To me it's the best looking pedal I've ever seen. It's so different!