SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfergel

Quote from: kurtlives on January 13, 2008, 11:26:34 AM
Quote from: mfergel on January 12, 2008, 08:01:15 PM
Well, my second etch didn't come out as clean as my first but it still looks cool enough.  I decided to etch the graphic of the MXR Zakk Wylde pedal.  Think I'll ink in the bullseye as well.  Kind of has a heavy grunge look to it.

Where did you get the design for the etch?

I drew it out in Photoshop.  If you need the artwork, let me know and I can send you the jpeg for etching.

Papa_lazerous

Made another Fuzz, very happy with this one paint wise, only second project with airbrush.....

And yes the text is etched :):)

~arph

Cool! That makes me wonder.. did you paint both the letters and the enclosure? if so.. HOW?
First the black, then the top with a roller? so the letters will be untouched?
Meaning.. you can do white lettering on a black enclosure the same way?

Papa_lazerous

I etched nice and deep for starters, then I airbrushed the pedal.  then I did the black in the lettering ;)  Its easy when you know how

~arph

...as in .. brush it in.. whipe the excess off  ::)
I think the key is in.. nice and deep (no pun intended)

russv

First post to just get my feet wet. I have acquired the DIY virus and have been weeding through this post in particular. Great ideas for finishing and circuits. I am total rookie who is still debugging a BYOC trem. But I have dreams of a switchers, noisy cricket, fuzz/boost pedal, Echo Base, Atari Punk and more, of course.
Awesome post on a killer site. Thanks everyone.

Papa_lazerous

Quote from: ~arph on January 14, 2008, 12:07:28 PM
...as in .. brush it in.. whipe the excess off  ::)
I think the key is in.. nice and deep (no pun intended)

Its about a 1mm deep etch but once you spray primer then base coat then top coat you will really reduce depth of etch especially as the paint likes to collect in the lettering, I guess you are left with about 0.5mm etch.

Let it dry completely, then get an amount of black paint and a very small paint brush about 1mm and then paint the lettering you need a steady hand.  If you goof up you cant wipe the paint off, the black would definately mark the pain beneath...  Its hard to do unless you have rock solid hands and can paint.  I like the effect it gives although its probably more trouble than its worth if I am honest.  Kind of a sucker for perfection though

~arph

Thank you for the explanaition, it's clear now.

modsquad

Okay inquiring minds would like to know how you did the swirl paint job.  It looks cool but I have stayed away from trying it because I didn't like the other methods of doing them. :icon_eek:
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

~arph

I have an idea...
What if you make a rotating platform out of an old turntable, stick the enclosure in the center... spin her up.. drip paint...see what happens. Of course some factors are important like the rotation speed and the viscosity of the paint, but it sounds like a nice idea.

Here in holland there was a childs toy, can't recall the name (swirl something), over ten years ago that let you do this with paper..
Something like this:

]http://www.instawares.com/gold-medal-fun-spinner-spin-art-machine-7748.gmp-7748.0.7.htm?LID=BZRT&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=09-54849122-2[url][/url]

petemoore

Yupp...done that, works great.
  Another way is to dob dobs of multicolor paints in a 'sun center', the draw a stiff tip through it in 'radiusing outward from center' strokes...looks a little like spun paint but different method and result.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

~arph

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: ~arph on January 15, 2008, 10:43:23 AM

Here in holland there was a childs toy, can't recall the name (swirl something), over ten years ago that let you do this with paper..
Something like this:

I had one of those when I was a kid.

A bright fellow named Damien Hirst took the idea and ran with it.

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/collection/online_az/4:322/result/0/68069?artistId=6043&artistName=Damien%20Hirst&initial=H&submit=1

His large scale versions sell for thousands.

moro

Quote from: ~arph on January 15, 2008, 10:43:23 AM
I have an idea...
What if you make a rotating platform out of an old turntable, stick the enclosure in the center... spin her up.. drip paint...see what happens. Of course some factors are important like the rotation speed and the viscosity of the paint, but it sounds like a nice idea.

When I was a kid, we used to do this on a potter's wheel in art class. It looks cool and has that crazy folk art vibe.

I've also thought about doing this for an enclosure. It's a VERY messy process though.

~arph

Well at least that is less disturbing than some of his other work  ;) involving dead animals.. :o

Dragonfly

Quote from: modsquad on January 15, 2008, 10:22:25 AM
Okay inquiring minds would like to know how you did the swirl paint job.  It looks cool but I have stayed away from trying it because I didn't like the other methods of doing them. :icon_eek:

As soon as I get the technique "perfected" I'll post a "How To do EZ Swirls" thread...

Here's the one from earlier, after the clear coat...I'm making it for a friend...old school fuzz, no LED or DC Jack !  :)

and one with a slightly different technique....

Dragonfly

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 15, 2008, 12:24:41 PM
As soon as I get the technique "perfected" I'll post a "How To do EZ Swirls" thread...

Here's the one from earlier, after the clear coat...I'm making it for a friend...old school fuzz, no LED or DC Jack !  :)

Here it is all wired up !

And a sound sample...he wanted the big loose bottom of a germanium, with the "spit" of a silicon.... (don't mind my sloppy playing...I couldnt find a pick !)

CLICK HERE FOR SOUND SAMPLE !

:)

bancika

what are those two black "things" on the board, look like M&M :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

GREEN FUZ

Yeah, them "black things". I`ve got a little bag of those. Unmarked, bar one which has me4003 writ upon it. Don`t suppose that`s what they are?

kurtlives

Quote from: mfergel on January 14, 2008, 08:45:04 AM
Quote from: kurtlives on January 13, 2008, 11:26:34 AM
Quote from: mfergel on January 12, 2008, 08:01:15 PM
Well, my second etch didn't come out as clean as my first but it still looks cool enough.  I decided to etch the graphic of the MXR Zakk Wylde pedal.  Think I'll ink in the bullseye as well.  Kind of has a heavy grunge look to it.

Where did you get the design for the etch?

I drew it out in Photoshop.  If you need the artwork, let me know and I can send you the jpeg for etching.
Yes please, that would be great.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com