News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.r.v.

Dragonfly those look absolutely amazing!!

do you drill then paint, or paint then drill? I was always under the impression that drilling would screw up the paint, but if you drilled then painted it would leek inside, especially swirling. Any advice? thanks!

Processaurus

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 22, 2008, 01:46:27 PM
Instead of posting more "swirl" pictures here, I've started an album in my gallery....I'll update the pictures there (though I might post a pic or two here occasionally !)

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/swirls/

The way your paints glob/marble together a bit would make a fantastic "meat" paintjob with some red and white paint...

hendrix2489

here is my latest build, Tube Driver via shredgd 's layout.(AWESOME LAYOUt)  .

i put a 3mm blue led and pointed it towards the ventilation holes, so when switched on it looks like a blue tube. 

5AKERS

Hendrix 2489,
That is a great looking build!  Can you point me to the layout?  I have searched but cannot find it.

Thanks Gary

hendrix2489

Dragonfly

Quote from: s.r.v. on January 22, 2008, 06:01:35 PM
Dragonfly those look absolutely amazing!!

do you drill then paint, or paint then drill? I was always under the impression that drilling would screw up the paint, but if you drilled then painted it would leek inside, especially swirling. Any advice? thanks!

Thanks !

I drill first.

These swirls arent done in the "traditional way" (borax and water), so drilling prior works just fine.

I'm working on this one...I have to "wet sand" it so I can get it a bit smoother, then a couple more clear coats...but its a cool swirl IMO....

ambulancevoice

ARGH! Andy! Stop It Your Killing Me HERe!!!!!
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Dragonfly

Quote from: ambulancevoice on January 22, 2008, 09:30:17 PM

There are so few things in life that i'm decent at...so I have to go overboard when I figure something out !

:)

ambulancevoice

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 22, 2008, 09:52:09 PM
Quote from: ambulancevoice on January 22, 2008, 09:30:17 PM

There are so few things in life that i'm decent at...so I have to go overboard when I figure something out !

:)

yeah man, i was just messin, keep it up!!! there @#$%ing awsome
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Fuzzy-Train

I love how the paint looks like it's melting around the holes. Is the process relatively easy?

Awesome job mang!
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

Barcode80

That is by far the best one yet Andrew.

mdh

That last one makes me wanna go bowling for some reason  :icon_biggrin:

Timebutt

Argh ... those beautiful enclosures! ... must ... go ... out ... buy ... colourful paints ... throw in enclosures ...

Ok, up until now I've been patient about this swirl tutorial, but I've arrived to the point where I need that tutorial! :)
Awesome work, truly very inspiring work!
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

DryRoasted

Quote from: mdh on January 23, 2008, 01:37:52 AM
That last one makes me wanna go bowling for some reason  :icon_biggrin:

Lol, I know just what you mean!
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

bancika

I generally don't like swirls that much, but that's great work Dragonfly. I'm eager to see the tutorial :)
Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

modsquad

The day-glo green is awesome.  I must have the technique...I have a terminal disease and might not last... :icon_mrgreen:

Seriously the green is really cool.  You got me going out to the garage and trying to figure this out now.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

~arph

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 15, 2008, 12:24:41 PM
As soon as I get the technique "perfected" I'll post a "How To do EZ Swirls" thread...

..just a little reminder  ;D

That last one blows my mind!  I never liked swirls, but that is just incredible!

~arph

Alright.. I'll show a nice idea too...

My camera sucks but I hope it comes across

I have one in a tremolo that pulsates at the trem rate..  8)

niggez

Mark Hammer

Aw, now THAT's cute. :icon_biggrin:

Re: Swirls

a) Great work Andrew. 1967-style SF light shows are not dead yet!  (What WAS the name of that loose collective of SanFrancisco folks who would do those food-dye-and-oil projections we were so accustomed to seeing projected over musicians during the psychedelic era?  You know, the ones where they'd squish a glass plate down over liquid on an overhead projector in pulsing sync with the beat.  I remember seeing a show with Janis Joplin and James Cotton opening for her that had one of those swirly light shows.  Somebody here must know the name of those folks.  A quick google-search indicates the Joshua Light Show, but I'm remembering somethat sounded like a corporation name.)

b) Photos from the most recent NAMM show a Steve Vai-driven dual distortion pedal from Ibanez called the "Jemini" (to go with the Vai-inspired JEM guitar I guess) that also has a nice swirly paint job.