News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valoosj

Just finished this Ross Phaser. Has a bit of an lfo bleeding through, but not ticking though, you just hear an oemph when the speed is high, almost like a vibrato/waterfall kind of thing. It dissapears when I decrease the speed to a max of 80% of the pot's value.

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Processaurus

Pedal commissioned by a San Diego gentleman that makes crazy electric marimba instruments, and wanted a clean (un clipped/fuzzless) full wave rectifier effect.  Stereo too.  What is unique about it is that you can independently vary the DC bias on each channel, just before rectification, so that each side (if fed an identical signal) will wrap up the waveform differently, in a pretty cool stereo widening kind of way.  Giant 24mm dual alpha pots for everything.  Basic full wave rectifier design is similar to JC Maillet's FWR which uses opamp "super diodes" to do the rectifying, which in turn is similar to an envelope follower design from a rack compressor JC studied.  Rat tone control, active bass boost (because FWR can sound a little thin), and a blend circuit made using the ideas put forth in the Geofex.com panning article.  Buffered bypass.  Buffers, routing, switching, bias controls designed by me.  Used Gez's smart Plexiglas labeling technique.  It took longer than I thought, probably ended up making $7/hr for custom electronics design/kludging, ha ha...  Maybe I'll post the schematic if there is interest, from potential builders.  Pretty specialized though, and sounds weird.  Cool trick, route L output to R input, then take the output off the R channel:  DOUBLE FWR'd!  That sounded kinda unique, and obnoxious in a fun way.

ratty!

Foxx Tone Machine, well more like a Dano French Toast, since it has Si clipping diodes ($50 clone of a $25 pedal, now that's silly), with footswitches for bypass, octave, and a custom opamp based "dark boost", because I loved how the pedal reacted pushed by a graphic EQ with the bass cranked and the highs cut.  Like this article recommends to clean up your octave.  The rack handle came out of the dumpster, to take unusual abuse, if desired.

Clone of a fun boutique oscillating fuzz, with Mark Hammer's Stupidly Wonderful Tone control, and some switches to do different filtering, including Puretube's idea of stringing a small cap across the SWTC to make it a stupidly wonderful mid-cut.  Also one of the options bypasses the SWTC and runs everything through a little cap, to get a loud, but utterly bassless, emasculated fuzz.  There is a photo cell to effect the oscillations, and it works just "ok" to be honest.

Guitar pedal implementation of Juergen Haible's wave multiplier B.  Tons of gain & soft clipping to get the signal up to the level the circuit wants to see.  Photocells change the gain to make it wrap/unwrap the waveform.  Charge pump to make the bi-polar supply.  Very unique sounding distortion, can sound filter sweep/ phase like as a note decays.  Similar electronically (though more wave folding) to the Prunes and Custard, if we're to trust random russian schematics.

Slavish clone of a popular and pricey boutique bass fuzz.  I really like how bassy (subby, really) it gets, outrageous through a real bass stack.  Reminds me of Sleep.  I used one of soggybag's excellent B size blank PCBs, and I could get the 4 pots across the top by using the 9mm alpha pots small bear benevolently stocks.

Gila_Crisis

cool works Processaurus!
i think i'm gonna try that "dark boost" on my foxx tone machine and octane2 clone too.
it look preatty interesting!!! :icon_mrgreen:

BaLaClavaAa

Wow! Processaurus, those look amazing!

kawayanstrat

Just finished assembling my compressor.

Here she is...

The gutshot...

tskullt

that is awesome!
m.
http://www.pedalenclosures.com
* make all the other pedals jealous *

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

caress

definitely interested in your schem if you wouldn't mind posting or pm'ing...  nice work.

Quote from: Processaurus on May 22, 2008, 08:58:24 AM

Dragonfly

Quote from: kawayanstrat on May 22, 2008, 03:08:40 PM

Here she is...

The gutshot...

VERY nice.

A good demo of how cool the acrylic swirl can look !

I'm sure it sounds great as well !

andrew_k

Quote from: Processaurus on May 22, 2008, 08:58:24 AM
ratty!

:icon_eek:

Thanks for pointing out that octave+LP filter article, I've been messing with a green ringer on a breadboard and your link couldn't have come at a better time.

Dragonfly

Controls ? We don't need no stinkin' controls !

ACS

Oooh, I reckon you want to see a doctor about that.  Some cream should clear it up nice and quick ;)

(Too cool mate :) )

kawayanstrat

Quote from: Dragonfly on May 22, 2008, 06:31:13 PM

Here she is...

The gutshot...

VERY nice.

A good demo of how cool the acrylic swirl can look !

I'm sure it sounds great as well !
Thanks! Coming from the guy who taught us how to swirl "dragonfly style"! 8)

ianmgull

Quote from: Valoosj on May 21, 2008, 10:14:34 AM
Just finished this Ross Phaser. Has a bit of an lfo bleeding through, but not ticking though, you just hear an oemph when the speed is high, almost like a vibrato/waterfall kind of thing. It dissapears when I decrease the speed to a max of 80% of the pot's value.

Hey valoosj, I love this one!!!! Can I ask where you found that low profile LED bezel?

Processaurus

Quote from: andrew_k on May 22, 2008, 08:06:47 PM
Thanks for pointing out that octave+LP filter article, I've been messing with a green ringer on a breadboard and your link couldn't have come at a better time.

Hi, sure, that article has been helpful to me with octave projects, I like the filter with fuzz as well, to get a smooth, synthy, homogeneous square wave.  Here is an implementation of that Plate to Plate article's suggested filter, for the green ringer, if you scroll down to the paragraph on "filter switch".  Might give you some ideas, also part of the mod adds gain to the first stage, that could be useful when modding the green ringer.  Interestingly the GR circuit wouldn't work with the values in the plate to plate article, with the filter sandwiched between the 1st and 2nd stage, I had to scale the resistors to 1/10th to get it to work.
Quote from: Gila_Crisis on May 22, 2008, 11:52:29 AM
cool works Processaurus!
i think i'm gonna try that "dark boost" on my foxx tone machine and octane2 clone too.
it look preatty interesting!!! :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah, it is the opamp version of the filter in that article with some slightly bigger cap values to shift the LP filter response lower, for less harmonics.  I made the output opamp stage a non inverting amplifier rather than a non-inverting buffer.  I put a trim pot in there (in the feedback loop) to set the gain.  That stage resembles an MXR micro amp, if you need a starting point.  Gain of 1-20x should be squishy enough, but why not go for more?

DavidRavenMoon

Quote from: dxm1 on May 14, 2008, 10:00:53 PM
I've always liked graphic control labels...  Does anyone remember these?

We used to call them 'amp burners'.  With dual 9V batteries, they really put out some signal.

I used to have one of those.. one of the guitar models with the three sliders.  Man that thing was very noisy though!
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

Valoosj

Quote from: ianmgull on May 23, 2008, 12:44:13 AM
Quote from: Valoosj on May 21, 2008, 10:14:34 AM

I found it at musikding.de

Hey valoosj, I love this one!!!! Can I ask where you found that low profile LED bezel?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

jasonsmusicgear

Your clear coat looks perfect on this, what kind of paint did you use?

Jason

8mileshigh

Quote from: Dragonfly on May 22, 2008, 11:42:51 PM
Controls ? We don't need no stinkin' controls !

I don't think you need the LED or AC adapter either :icon_biggrin:   So, is this a fuzz or what ?  A fellow gear nut  has an Antigua colored 70's strat which he commonly refers to as pukeburst.  If you call this one the Pukeburst Fuzz, my buddy would probably buy one on the spot  :icon_lol:

Keep up the fine work !
Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

kawayanstrat

Quote from: jasonsmusicgear on May 23, 2008, 11:53:33 AM

Your clear coat looks perfect on this, what kind of paint did you use?

Jason

Just an ordinary can of clear lacquer spray paint. I have a curing box enough to fit 2 1590s,it's fitted with a 50w light bulb.
That's about 5 coats of clear coat. ;)