News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evad Nomenclature

My very first Pedal (that works)

It's hideous.  But you have to get off on the unicorn (even though i screwed up putting it on... I got hasty)

It's an Electra Dist. with a couple of mods and the added gain pot that I picked up from another thread...  I was mainly just bummed that I put the switch to close to the pots... but oh well, first Build!
I'm hoping I can make some sexy beast pedals down the road!
thanks everyone

Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies
Evad Nomenclature III

Renegadrian

EVAD, IT LOOKS GREAT!!! MY FIRST ONE WASN'T THAT GOOD TO SEE...I'D BET YOUR NEXT ONES WILL SURELY BE EYE-CATCHERS!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

kurtlives

Quote from: seibertdr on September 11, 2008, 01:03:42 PM
Are'nt you afraid of breaking the tube off. It would seem so easy especially after a couple of beers.
I treat my stuff with care and dont gig much. Its got a sheild on, for the pic I took the sheild off.

Not worried in the least.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

arma61

Quote from: Evad Nomenclature on September 11, 2008, 01:46:43 PM

It's hideous.  But you have to get off on the unicorn (even though i screwed up putting it on... I got hasty)

It's an Electra Dist. with a couple of mods and the added gain pot that I picked up from another thread...  I was mainly just bummed that I put the switch to close to the pots... but oh well, first Build!
thanks everyone

Evad Nomenclature III

First build!, that's awesome, I didn't have the courage to post my first one, good job!!, look forward to see the "second build"
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

bluesdevil

Built a few pedals up recently that I need to post. Here's the first, a heavily modded Phase 90 with a Dragonfly swirl paint job. Finally got around to painting one up like that and sorry I waited so long to try. Took me 3 tries with mixing the paint/water and still could be better, but I like it.
    The Phase 90 is great.... really hard to turn it off when I'm playing!! The mods include a vibrato switch, depth knob (acts as kinda tone control also), feedback resistor selector and volume knob. The depth control is not that great really... messes with the tone and adds distortion when the there's resonance selected on the switch. It's good for taming the vibrato mode, though. I have to say I can see why people like the vintage model the best.... it does sound very good without any feedback resistor. I know Keith Richards used a Phase 100 on the "Some Girls" album, but I'm able to get sounds fairly close to those with it. Been playing the hell out of "Beast of Burden" and "Shattered" whenever I plug in. Also I can't resist the Johnny Winter licks with it either..... I'm not much of a Van Halen type player as you could probably tell.  :icon_lol:
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

davent

Quote from: kurtlives on September 10, 2008, 11:38:34 PM

A great little circuit, great fun to play with.

Great looking pedal there Chris! Now where did you find those knobs, local or mail order?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bluesdevil

Here's my Q-Triper build , a Japanese DIY envelope filter. I used Markm's "Q-Tripper" pcb layout and added something of a tone selector switch... I got the idea from a Japanese site listing other mod suggestions for it as well. This is a pleasant vocal sounding auto-wah.... not thin like others I've heard. I'm surprised there isn't much mention of other's building it here.
     The enclosure is etched.... has more of a pewter aged look in person that doesn't come through in the photo, I'm sorry to say.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

kurtlives

Dave I got them from Effects Connection

I got a few extras if you need any.

Only issue with em is they are push on. You need to drill the centre out a bit for them to fit snuggle on a solid shaft pot.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Pushtone

Quote from: kurtlives on September 10, 2008, 11:38:34 PM

A great little circuit, great fun to play with.

Me likey too. Nice work, we share an affinity for the tubes-on-top.

Quote from: seibertdr on September 11, 2008, 01:03:42 PM
Are'nt you afraid of breaking the tube off. It would seem so easy especially after a couple of beers.

LETS BE PERFECTLY CLEAR HERE,

Kurtlives, Stop me if you disagree but when we put our tubes on top of our pedals its like saying...

"We is a bad MF.
We's dangerous, come on I dare you to step on me, p*ssy.
I will shock your white ass."

Picture Samule Jackson in, well any of his movies. I think he says MF in all of them.
Or picture Brando in the Wild Ones. "What are you rebelling against? What do you got?

The point is putting tubes-on-top is rebelliously impractical, like painting flames on a car
or sending your eight year old to school in a skull-and-bones hoodie.

These are "trophy pedals" to be held out as something different.
Ironic that the retro tube is the stand out quality in this circuit.
So it makes sense to put it out in full view.

Great looking pedal Kurtlives and no,
he's not worried about breaking the tube off for the same reason
Kurtlives dosen't wear a helmet while out on his Harley Pan Head with Suicide shifter.

BECAUSE HE'S A BAD MF! :icon_twisted:

BTW: is that a Weber amp kit in the BG?
That looks like their blackface style eyelet board.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

kurtlives

YES YES YES!!!

By the way it was you who really me into those knobs. I have seen you use them a few times so I gave em a try. I like em, cheap but great.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

hday

Someone silkscreen Sam Jackson's face on their tubes.

Also, that unicorn is super awesome. Is it some sort of band sticker? What's the text say?

davent

Quote from: kurtlives on September 11, 2008, 10:01:36 PM
Dave I got them from Effects Connection

I got a few extras if you need any.

Only issue with em is they are push on. You need to drill the centre out a bit for them to fit snuggle on a solid shaft pot.

Thanks Chris, I've used alot of pots from Honson/Supremetronics in Toronto and they're all split shaft with splines so these sound like they'd be just the ticket. I'll check out Effects Connection (and thanks for the offer!)

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Evad Nomenclature

Quote from: hday on September 11, 2008, 10:29:31 PM
Someone silkscreen Sam Jackson's face on their tubes.

Also, that unicorn is super awesome. Is it some sort of band sticker? What's the text say?

haha.  Awesome Idea for the SJ face ^_^
How the unicorn came to be was pretty random... it says GM, it was one of my groomsmen (GM) patches we made as a joke for the guys to wear at my wedding last weekend.
We had a few left over at home when we got back, and I just slapped it onto my pedal for decoration to cover the hideous paint job.

The girl's gonna help me do some decals and cool paint (she's a graphic designer as a *real* job as we like to call it)
I'll definitely post some more when I get some done. 
Keep up the good work guys, I love browsing through these pics.

Evad Nomenclature III
Evad Nomenclature III

turnstylepoet

Quote from: sixstringphil on September 10, 2008, 09:13:48 PM
Quote from: turnstylepoet on September 10, 2008, 12:37:28 PM

What is the knob for??

The pedal is both a tap tempo and an expression pedal.  The knob controls my Holy Stain's Trem speed and Reverb amount. 
Fender Tele (Rio Grande pups)
Fender Pro Junior
EHX Little Big Muff
HBE Dos Mos
DIY Clean Boost
MXR Classic Distortion
EHX Stereo Pulsar
Boss DD-5 Digital Delay w/DIY Tap Tempo
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss DD-20
Dean Markley PT-13

Jimmy-H

Quote from: Evad Nomenclature on September 11, 2008, 01:46:43 PM

thanks everyone

Evad Nomenclature III

Nice first build!
I recognize the problem you did have.
You want to see your pedal ready real quick!
But it needs patience for a good job (ah well never to old to learn).

And I see you have difficulties with your decal.
Just soak the whole box.
Place the decal.
And keep watching it, till it's real dry.
Keep removing air bubbles when needed.
If you do that, it doesn't mather how big the decal is.

Renegadrian

Evad, did you put a good amount of clear?
I'd suggest you to wait some days an then try to dry/wet sand starting from 400 or 600 up to 1500 if you want - then you could use automotive buff...So you'd first get rid of that s**t and you'd get a perfect shiny finish
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Evad Nomenclature

Yeah I was in a hurry.
It was 4 coats of Paint, let dry for like 10 hours.  Then I coated 2 quick coats of clear (didn't sand at all) and let dry for about .. musta been another 8 hours.
I was definitely impatient... I wanted to have it done in time to bring with me to teach so I could blow some of my students minds =)

I think I'm going to get one of these.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917288000P

Craftman Powder Coating system... I know it's the cheaper way (for Powder Coating) then spending money on a real station.
Anyone have any experience with this piece of equipment?
Evad Nomenclature III

theundeadelvis

Quote from: Evad Nomenclature on September 12, 2008, 09:43:47 AM
Yeah I was in a hurry.
It was 4 coats of Paint, let dry for like 10 hours.  Then I coated 2 quick coats of clear (didn't sand at all) and let dry for about .. musta been another 8 hours.
I was definitely impatient... I wanted to have it done in time to bring with me to teach so I could blow some of my students minds =)

I think I'm going to get one of these.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917288000P

Craftman Powder Coating system... I know it's the cheaper way (for Powder Coating) then spending money on a real station.
Anyone have any experience with this piece of equipment?

I have one and have used it with good success (although I rarely use it out of laziness). I've always meant to write up a tutorial on how to use it.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

ppatchmods

A few of my first builds. 

The Rat Pack is a byoc rat w/6 way rotary + a '77 dod 250 circuit(which is one of the best boost I have ever heard IMO)

Regulated power supply using a GGG board and a power entry module(thanks R.G...I didn't kill myself or any small animals)

Fuzz using fuzzboxworlds layout with added fuzz knob and dying battery knob

Thanks to all of the peeps who answered my crazy questions!!
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

frequencycentral

"PentaDriver", two cascaded 5672 submini pentodes.

Schematic and soundclip here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70533.new;topicseen#new

.........and a 'family shot' of my submini tube pedals:

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!