News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerroGrande

I'm learning how to powder coat...  I've had absolutely zero luck when it comes to making a paint finish that is sufficiently durable, so I've turned to a different technology!

This finish is called "Deep Plum Vein".  The pedal electronics are a work in progress based on the Rocket.

Zedmin_fx

PerroGrande   man that is so hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: PerroGrande on October 03, 2008, 04:09:54 PM
I'm learning how to powder coat...  I've had absolutely zero luck when it comes to making a paint finish that is sufficiently durable, so I've turned to a different technology!

This finish is called "Deep Plum Vein". 

That's not what the veins on my plums look like ;)

Looks great!  how easy/messy is powder coating?
Try a little tenderness.

PerroGrande

Bronze Hammertone/Vein powdercoat (complete with really ugly knob...):

The pedal is a low-noise clean boost based on an original design.  I use it in my pedal board to compensate for different levels of output from the various guitars that I use.  I can spin this awful-looking knob with my foot rather easily, though...  Yeah -- I'll come up with something better looking for the "final" version of this thing!   ::)

The enclosure is a bit different from the regular 1290NS that I use for small circuits like this.  I bought a couple of these at a local electronics store.  The walls are very thick, and it is made to be weather-sealed.  The screws are recessed, which is why the four access holes are not painted -- I had to block them to avoid coating the threads.  The small hole in the lower left is part of the box's design, so I've got a 3mm LED tucked in there.

PerroGrande

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on October 03, 2008, 06:09:45 PM

This finish is called "Deep Plum Vein". 

That's not what the veins on my plums look like ;)

Looks great!  how easy/messy is powder coating?

Hi Steven,

I'm still very much in the learning stages of Powder Coating, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.  It isn't hard, but like anything else it takes practice.  My first few attempts didn't go too well, but over time I've figured out the various problems I experienced.   Lots of reading on various forums proved to be very helpful.  One thing -- even a coating attempt that goes badly is FAR more durable and correspondingly more difficult to remove via mechanical means (sanding) than paint... Special stripper is made for removing PC, and I recommend it as part of any investment in PC gear...  Lesson learned the hard way!

P.C. can get messy, but messy in a different way than paint.  It is, after all, powder -- and it stays that way until it meets up with heat.  I've gotten a LOT better in terms of controlling the excess powder, etc.  Unlike paint, any "overspray" isn't a permanent issue, and can be blown or swept away and disposed of (safely) in the trash.  PC doesn't have the nasty fumes of paint (although there is a brief period of time during the flow-out where it does release a small amount of gas). 

I'm certainly not an experienced authority on the subject, but if there is general interest, I can whip up a photo tutorial of what I've learned and share it.

Apehouse

Quote from: PerroGrande on October 03, 2008, 06:54:00 PM

I'm certainly not an experienced authority on the subject, but if there is general interest, I can whip up a photo tutorial of what I've learned and share it.

I would very much be interested in a thread/tutorial! i know it's a lot to ask so no worries if it doesn't work out.
thanks for the info!
-Greg
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" -Aldous Huxley

John Lyons

Powder coating here I come! I like the effect I get with spray hammer tones but the durability
and low fumes trumps that.
I wonder how clear powder over paint would work?
Looks great John!

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

PerroGrande

The biggest problem with clear over paint would be the flow/curing temperature required by the powder.  If you're using a paint that can withstand 350-400 degrees F *and* wouldn't gas out at that temperature for an extended period of time, it might work. 

The alternative (traditional clear over powdercoat) works just fine.

noelgrassy

BigDog,  +1 on seeing your tutorial or simple rundown of the investment required to powder coat.
There are some wicked finishes available to that media. The chrome really looks chrome, and the
crackle, metalflake, candycolor & more are so cool looking. It's durability is remarkable.

Your stuff looks just dandy. Is it a choir to keep the screw races in the boxes free of paint?

A PC joint by my shop used to let me place a few enclosures in with whatever products he was shooting.
He painted truckloads of aluminum for my company so he never lost money on the deal. :icon_biggrin:

A hobbyist's oven wouldn't have to be more elaborate than a toaster oven I'd imagine. Don't let yer food
anywhere near it.
"Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied by drink." Mark TwGL

nandobello

I like to show that picture but I'm affraid of this can scare someone like the last time. This is not my intention.  :icon_wink:

Como meu inglês é horrível tentarei escrever em português daqui pra frente.  :icon_mrgreen:

DougH

This finish is called "Deep Plum Vein".  The pedal electronics are a work in progress based on the Rocket.

That looks really great! I've been powdercoating too, and still learning.

It is much more durable than paint. The only stuff I paint any more are amp chassis. I would powdercoat them too but they won't fit in my oven. :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Evad Nomenclature

Sick man!  Hammered purple looks sexy!
Did you buy a station to do the powder coating?  or what are you using?
Also, it is messy as hell?  I have a full basement just waiting to be destroyed with paint fumes ^_^
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies

PerroGrande

Well, it seems that there is enough interest in Powder Coating to start up a separate thread as I mentioned earlier.   :)

I've shot a few pictures this morning and will get started on sharing what I've learned thus far.

Fl!P

Quote from: John Lyons on October 02, 2008, 11:40:35 PM
Quote from: Barcode80 on October 02, 2008, 09:40:59 PM
Quote from: John Lyons on October 02, 2008, 12:31:51 PM
hey john, i know you use a table saw, what kind?

I use a cheapie $300 Delta 10" table saw for cutting the main boards.
I cut the boards apart with hand shears and then use a 12" disk sander to final trim
the boards. Much safer!!!

Yes, I painted the box in the pic with the boards. It just comes out of a can like that mostly.
There are some secrets to get it to work well but I need to keep those for myself.

Check out this particularly nice one.

John

Fish eyes...  :o
Completed Builds: Gus Booster, Plexizer, BSIABII, Si/Ge Fuzz Face w/ RM Mod, Orange Squeezer
To Do List: Valvecaster, Small Clone, Jawari

For Sale:Marshall Footswitch

caress

beautiful finish, john...

in response to your B L U E B O A R D S i present........ 
B L A C K B O A R D S

Zedmin_fx

Quote from: caress on October 04, 2008, 10:07:48 PM

B L A C K B O A R D S

HOLY SH*T THAT IS F_ING HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kurtlives

That board is sweet reminds me of the Valve Jr PCBs.

Now I don't wanna be a dick but it seems like this thread has turned into a lot of PCB and fancy enclosure painting pics. We need more finished pedals and gut shots! :D
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Focalized

Shocktave. Ugly. Fits the sound it makes.

Evad Nomenclature

Quote from: caress on October 04, 2008, 10:07:48 PM

B L A C K B O A R D S

Holy god that is sexy!
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies

John Lyons

Yes, those do look pretty sexy Brian.
Is that a black solder mask making the board color?

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/